A teenager in the 60's.

WHSmith had a large wholesale warehouse by the Midland Station. It was the bottom floor and at the rear of the large office block that I believe belonged to British Rail.

I was a newsagent in 1966 and we were supplied with some daily titles by Weston’s which was on Stanley St off the Wicker and the others by WH Smith’s from that warehouse.

They also supplied books, toys and stationery from a large showroom behind the news and periodicals loading area.

Did Joe Cocker work there? Must admit I never saw him.

Edited by Dreb48
Geographical error

I remember going to Hillsboro in 1960-1 to watch the Owls play. They beat Spurs 2-1. Until that time nobody had beaten Bill Nicholson's outfit. I followed them all around the country. The Owls finished 2nd in the old Div 1 and in any other year (it was the year that Spurs did the double), they would have won the title. And what a team they were with the likes of Springett, Johnson, Megson, Kay, Swan, Young, Finney, Craig, Ellis and Wilkinson. They played for peanuts, not like the overpaid prima donnas of today.

I remember going to Hillsboro in 1960-1 to watch the Owls play. They beat Spurs 2-1. Until that time nobody had beaten Bill Nicholson's outfit. I followed them all around the country. The Owls finished 2nd in the old Div 1 and in any other year (it was the year that Spurs did the double), they would have won the title. And what a team they were with the likes of Springett, Johnson, Megson, Kay, Swan, Young, Finney, Craig, Ellis and Wilkinson. They played for peanuts, not like the overpaid prima donnas of today.

In those days,Spurs simply could not win in Sheffield as good they were then. I think they went about 35 years without a win at either Sheffield ground, or was it 35 games?Foggy moment just came on. lol

You forgot Jim McAnearney and John Fantham from that line up and the Owls also drew 1-1 at White Hart Lane that season (1960-61), a Don Megson free kick I think ?

You forgot Jim McAnearney and John Fantham from that line up and the Owls also drew 1-1 at White Hart Lane that season (1960-61), a Don Megson free kick I think ?

They also had a pretty decent manager then, but alas not for much longer.

Wasn't it Tom or did Jim make one of his rare appearances in that game? I remember Roy McLaren played in goal and made a super save at the Leppings Lane end.

Wasn't it Tom or did Jim make one of his rare appearances in that game? I remember Roy McLaren played in goal and made a super save at the Leppings Lane end.

Yes Jim, it was Tom who was the club captain until 'Meggy' got it around 1965. I don't think his brother Jim made too many appearances as he was a similar player. Not sure if Gerry Young was a regular then (1961) either.

Edited by St Petre
add

McAnearney had a second hand machine tool business and was a great bloke to deal with. Think his son then took over .

Yes Mr. T but Harry Catterick (went to Everton) and in came Vic Buckingham and between those two, the Owls never finished below 6th in the old First division between 1961 and 1964. Imagine that now ?

---------- Post added 26-02-2018 at 19:30 ----------

Yes Mr. T but Harry Catterick (went to Everton) and in came Vic Buckingham and between those two, the Owls never finished below 6th in the old First division between 1961 and 1964. Imagine that now ?

Yes and that was the season that the Blades gained promotion to the 1st division behind Ipswich and also reached the semi final of the FA Cup, being eliminated in the third match against Leicester 2-0. On the way they had beaten higher rated clubs like Everton at Goodison Park, Blackburn Rovers at home and Newcastle at St James' Park. Incidentally, the BBC cameras at Everton broke down that day so there was never a recording of the game on MOTD.

In the first semi against Leicester at Elland Road Doc Pace chested the ball down and 'scored' a legitimate goal. The referee, who was behind him, disallowed the goal for handball and then Doc turned around and showed the ref the muddy mark on the front of his shirt where he had chested the ball to control it. That 'goal' would have taken SUFC to Wembley and a final against the great Spurs. Maybe it would've been a better final than it turned out to be. We'll never know, but as a lad I went to all those games and the memories are still as vivid as ever.

echo.

Yes and that was the season that the Blades gained promotion to the 1st division behind Ipswich and also reached the semi final of the FA Cup, being eliminated in the third match against Leicester 2-0. On the way they had beaten higher rated clubs like Everton at Goodison Park, Blackburn Rovers at home and Newcastle at St James' Park. Incidentally, the BBC cameras at Everton broke down that day so there was never a recording of the game on MOTD.

In the first semi against Leicester at Elland Road Doc Pace chested the ball down and 'scored' a legitimate goal. The referee, who was behind him, disallowed the goal for handball and then Doc turned around and showed the ref the muddy mark on the front of his shirt where he had chested the ball to control it. That 'goal' would have taken SUFC to Wembley and a final against the great Spurs. Maybe it would've been a better final than it turned out to be. We'll never know, but as a lad I went to all those games and the memories are still as vivid as ever.

echo.

I also went to those games echo, I remember the doc pace incident well.

I also went to Newcastle, did"nt a guy called billy Russell score a first half hat trick and we won 3-0. seem to remember us playing in tangerine.

echo.

I was at Elland Road for that semi. Can't honestly remember the disallowed goal. Didn't go to the replays but I seem to remember there were two missed penalties in the second one.

---------- Post added 26-02-2018 at 23:07 ----------

I also went to those games echo, I remember the doc pace incident well.

I also went to Newcastle, did"nt a guy called billy Russell score a first half hat trick and we won 3-0. seem to remember us playing in tangerine.

Billy Russell was a school teacher in Manchester at the time. I worked with a bloke who was taught by him.