British Overseas Aid?

EXACTLY, its not foriegn aid, its our own territory, it should come from us, not diverted from foriegn aid funds

Quite right too - propping up corrupt foreign regimes is much more important than helping people lacking basic shelter, water, food, power, sanitation and medical facilities.

I read that some spurious international rules prohibit the UK from using its overseas aid budget to help British Overseas Territories'

Not a law then, can we decide not to follow this 'rule'?

Im saying that we should cut the foreign aid budget to pay nurses, police and care workers more money instead or sending it to dictators and warlords and you call me a bigot?

You're a pathetic snowflake :roll:

All foreign aid money goes to dictators and warlords then? Give me some proof that our entire foreign aid budget goes to these groups of people please. Also, so you think a starving child in a famine stricken country is less important than a nurse getting a pay rise?

Really?

All foreign aid should be stopped until we get our own house in order.

We should build more hospitals, prisons, schools and improve public services. We should pay fire fighters, the police, prison guards and teachers along with nurses a much better wage and generally look after them better. The list of things this country needs is endless so to send billions overseas, some of it to countries with their own nuclear and space programs is a bit of a slap in the face.

Apart from disaster relief no money should go overseas until our own people are better looked after.

If some people feel that makes me a bigot them tough. Thats your problem and not something I will lose any sleep over.

If those islands were full of white folk the hm govt would have been there quicktime.. glad they're stopping any looting now they've got there.

I'm sure if the state was run by UKIP the Rescue Missions wouldn't have turned up at all

Edited by WestTinsley

If those islands were full of white folk the hm govt would have been there quicktime.. glad they're stopping any looting now they've got there. (A weekk after the French)

Do you have any proof to back that up or is it just an opinion?

That has nothing to do with foreign aid; foreign aid is just a small percentage. Our Government believes austerity is the key to everything, some believe the key is leaving the EU.

In reality, the Government could tax differently, but they choose not to.

That has nothing to do with foreign aid; foreign aid is just a small percentage. Our Government believes austerity is the key to everything, some believe the key is leaving the EU.

Technically it may have nothing to do with foreign aid however for every £ saved by not sending it abroad that could be an extra £ we have in the coffers over here.

As for the government choosing not to tax differently, I agree and its wrong.

We should build more hospitals, prisons, schools and improve public services. We should pay fire fighters, the police, prison guards and teachers along with nurses a much better wage and generally look after them better. The list of things this country needs is endless so to send billions overseas, some of it to countries with their own nuclear and space programs is a bit of a slap in the face.

Apart from disaster relief no money should go overseas until our own people are better looked after.

If some people feel that makes me a bigot them tough. Thats your problem and not something I will lose any sleep over.

Your mistaken in thinking it's an either/or situation. It's perfectly possible to pay people properly, invest in public services and give foreign aid. It's all about priorities.

Your mistaken in thinking it's an either/or situation. It's perfectly possible to pay people properly, invest in public services and give foreign aid. It's all about priorities.

Thats seems fair enough. What would your priorities be? How would you change things so that we could not only pay public service workers properly and contribute to other countries through foreign aid?

Its 0.7% of the UK GDP. We pay more than any other country in Europe and one of the highest in the world.

During austerity.

One of the other problems is that we have to spend that money every year no matter what so in the last month we give it away like its nothing.

Meanwhile back home, Sheffield city council has had to cut £50m from public services year on year.

Is that fair? I dont think so.

I would immediately cut our foreign aid budget in half or to 0.3%.

I would give £1bn to the police to put 40,000 more police on the street.

I would give prisons £1bn as year to build a new prison every year for the next 10 years.

Its 0.7% of the UK GDP. We pay more than any other country in Europe and one of the highest in the world.

During austerity.

The UK spent 1.98% of GDP on defence in 2016, during austerity. It may have gone down slightly, because the target is 2%