Tory Manifesto on Social Care.

We will all end up pooping our pants and living on biscuits in order not to call in the carers. People will go to great lengths to preserve their hard won property for their children. Particularly when gaining that inheritance is the only way those children will be able to buy a property. There will be great suffering among the old under this policy. The problem is that I don't think most people will understand the implications until it is their turn to rot without care.

The devil is in the detail, and the small print is going to shock people.

They will regret voting Tory once the institutionalised theft starts happening.

May's poll ratings have dropped by 5% since this was announced and I think this is just the start.

May's poll ratings have dropped by 5% since this was announced and I think this is just the start.

They've refused to cost the policy

Hmmmmm

We will all end up pooping our pants and living on biscuits in order not to call in the carers. People will go to great lengths to preserve their hard won property for their children. Particularly when gaining that inheritance is the only way those children will be able to buy a property. There will be great suffering among the old under this policy. The problem is that I don't think most people will understand the implications until it is their turn to rot without care.

Move in with the kids. Make them earn their inheritance. Ungrateful twerps.

Says in this link that the percentage of people over 65 that go into nursing homes is about 5% although that seems a bit low to me, and I'm not sure if residential homes are included in that.

Although I think this Tory policy is very poor, I do think a small percentage of people will end up paying, and lots more detail, that MAY change.

What happens if you have worked all you life, and are struck down by illness at the age of 45, will the same £100,000 rule apply?

Although I think this Tory policy is very poor, I do think a small percentage of people will end up paying, and lots more detail, that MAY change.

What happens if you have worked all you life, and are struck down by illness at the age of 45, will the same £100,000 rule apply?

What else would happen? If you're 45 now and need dementia care the same rules apply

What else would happen? If you're 45 now and need dementia care the same rules apply

All I know is that in the eyes of the DWP, Dementia is regarded as an inevitable part of old age, and therefore is not an illness. That's how they get out of paying.

Completely wrong of course, otherwise everyone would get it, which of course they don't. I remember Claire Rayner campaigning to get it changed 20+ years ago, but died before she could finish it.

So the tories want us to accept that £100,000 is enough to inherit after the social care bill has been deducted from an estate.

Meanwhile they also tell us it is unfair to increase income tax on someone being paid £80,000 each year!

So, the rich must be left alone and the poor lose out yet again, even after a lifetime of paying their taxes.

It is essential to recognise that the tories are of the rich and flor the rich, and plan to load even more toil and misery the ordinary families!

So the tories want us to accept that £100,000 is enough to inherit after the social care bill has been deducted from an estate.

Meanwhile they also tell us it is unfair to increase income tax on someone being paid £80,000 each year!

So, the rich must be left alone and the poor lose out yet again, even after a lifetime of paying their taxes.

It is essential to recognise that the tories are of the rich and flor the rich, and plan to load even more toil and misery the ordinary families!

No, you would necessarily have £100,000 of an estate preserved. This policy could suck away every penny.

No, you would necessarily have £100,000 of an estate preserved. This policy could suck away every penny.

Surely, once everyone knows about the policy, people will give their house to their children, or have an equity release scheme?

Can I put my house in a trust, like what the Goldsmiths do?

Edited by El Cid

I've been banging on about the cost of care homes for ages. They are now reaching silly proportions - £1,000 a week in some cases for 'care.' This is where privatisation has it's got us. It's a license to print money.

With scams like this, no wonder the NHS / Social Care budget is stretched beyond breaking point.

If you don't go into a care home (and lose your life savings that way,) Home care will be a nice little earner for someone. wonder who'll be getting the contracts?

I know of five care homes that have gone bust in the local area so far this year. Local authority stretched? You ain't seen nothing yet.

Surely, once everyone knows about the policy, people will give their house to their children, or have an equity release scheme?

Can I put my house in a trust, like what the Goldsmiths do?

The scheme will use an equity release product. Only rather than transferring money to the family it'll transfer it to cover the premiums for a new kind of insurance policy the Tories and the city have developed. The info that is being revealed suggests that the choice will be to buy the product or sell the house. The premiums for the product are unlimited and could swallow up the value of an entire estate if the person in care lives too long.

We don't know yet what kind of anti-avoidance measures will be implemented