Huddersfield v Sheffield Wednesday 14/05/17

Apparently an agreement was made between the four clubs that the away teams would get 2000 tickets, i would think we won that one as we have the biggest ground to accommodate our home fans.

Apparently an agreement was made between the four clubs that the away teams would get 2000 tickets, i would think we won that one as we have the biggest ground to accommodate our home fans.

ah i hadn't heard about that. we got the better out of that then if true just a shame we can't use the grounds true capacity:(

fingers crossed swfc can get a result first leg and win 2nd leg

Not a play offs fan,its harsh on the third place team,who in a lot of the cases have worked hard all season (As with Brighton last term) and then get undone in the lottery.

Anything can happen,injuries,bad decision,sending off and a seasons work goes up in smoke,players are very tired after a long season anyhow and arent always at their best.

Not a play offs fan,its harsh on the third place team,who in a lot of the cases have worked hard all season (As with Brighton last term) and then get undone in the lottery.

Anything can happen,injuries,bad decision,sending off and a seasons work goes up in smoke,players are very tired after a long season anyhow and arent always at their best.

I,m with you Stani , third place should go up, but i,ll play by the rules and take whats on offer.

I disagree, it keeps the season alive almost down to mid table, teams know that finishing third doesn't guarentee a promotion spot when the season starts.

Bit worried about our excellent recent record against Huddersfield, the playoffs have a nasty habit of throwing form out of the window! Not even conceded a goal at their place in our last 6 games there which must be some kind of record.

We should be capable of beating them over two legs, but a lot of fans seem to be over confident and seem to think that it's a given, which it isn't. Anyway, I'm one of the lucky few to have tickets for the away leg so an early start on Sunday - may have to call in for a quick prayer on the way!

Bit worried about our excellent recent record against Huddersfield, the playoffs have a nasty habit of throwing form out of the window! Not even conceded a goal at their place in our last 6 games there which must be some kind of record.

We should be capable of beating them over two legs, but a lot of fans seem to be over confident and seem to think that it's a given, which it isn't. Anyway, I'm one of the lucky few to have tickets for the away leg so an early start on Sunday - may have to call in for a quick prayer on the way!

To be honest mate I've not seen many that appear overconfident, we have a very good chance but anything can happen.

Always remember 66 cup,we got easily beat at Newcastle and one week later went up and beat them in the 4th round so I won't take it for granted.

I disagree, it keeps the season alive almost down to mid table, teams know that finishing third doesn't guarentee a promotion spot when the season starts.

I’d change the format slightly.

I’d make the semi-finals a one-off game with the 3rd and 4th place teams at home as this would have the effect of teams playing stronger teams to the end.

The Scottish one is bizarre, one of my mates is a Dundee United fan and they play a Q/F against Morton over two legs, then the winners a S/F against 3rd place team before the winner of that playing second bottom of the Premier League.

That seems a bit long winded but would incentivise teams to play stronger teams.

I’d change the format slightly.

I’d make the semi-finals a one-off game with the 3rd and 4th place teams at home as this would have the effect of teams playing stronger teams to the end.

The Scottish one is bizarre, one of my mates is a Dundee United fan and they play a Q/F against Morton over two legs, then the winners a S/F against 3rd place team before the winner of that playing second bottom of the Premier League.

That seems a bit long winded but would incentivise teams to play stronger teams.

I'm pretty sure that when the play offs first started the 3rd placed team in the Championship (L2 back then) played 3rd from bottom of the Prem (L1).

I'm pretty sure that when the play offs first started the 3rd placed team in the Championship (L2 back then) played 3rd from bottom of the Prem (L1).

Yes they did.

During the first two stagings of the play-offs in 1987 and 1988, the four teams involved were the three clubs that finished directly below the automatic promotions positions, plus the club which finished directly above the automatic relegation places in the division above.

This was part of the league's two-season-long restructuring that would reduce the number of teams in the top tier (from 22 to 20) while increasing them in the lower divisions (creating three divisions of 24 clubs); during these seasons, only one club (Charlton Athletic in 1987) that entered the play-offs in a relegation place managed to win the play-offs and therefore retain their divisional status

United got relegated that way in 1988 losing to Bristol City in the semis who lost the final to Walsall.