Can you be clamped/fined for expired MOT?

Yes, all they have to do is stop investigating rapes and murders and they'll probably have enough police to chase up every ANPR alter they get.

Well if they have committed an offence, surely any fine should cover the cost of the police investigation.

In my area they have clamp-downs and they catch hundreds.

This is why I take my car for it's MOT a couple of weeks early.

i

If it fails then I'm still legal with it being on the road until the current MOT expires, by which time I've fixed the issue.

Or at least that's the plan, I've only had 1 advisory in 4 years and that was because I'd left my nieces car seat in and he couldn't test the rear belt

No you are not legal,the last MOT is the one that counts.You will get a fixed penalty ticket.

Well if they have committed an offence, surely any fine should cover the cost of the police investigation.

In my area they have clamp-downs and they catch hundreds.

Why on earth would you think that the police get to keep the money from a fine? :roll:

No you are not legal,the last MOT is the one that counts.You will get a fixed penalty ticket.

It's all a bit murky trying to work out the legalities; The government changed the guidance so time ago to agree with you, then later did a U turn.

The current guidance states;

Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid. (My highlighting)

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

have the failed defects fixed

a pre-arranged MOT test appointment

In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

See also; https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/can-you-drive-your-car-after-an-mot-fail-if-the-old-test-hasnt-expired

Edited by peak4

It does not matter who keeps the fine, if it helps in money raising. Who better to pay 'taxes' than wrong doers.

Your argument makes no sense. The police will not get extra funding by catching someone without an MOT. So my point stands. They would have to pull officers off investigating crimes with actual victims, to chase down a car with no MOT.

They have a limited budget and limited resource, would you prefer that they ran around chasing cars without MOTs or that they investigated rapes, assaults and burglaries?

They have a limited budget and limited resource, would you prefer that they ran around chasing cars without MOTs or that they investigated rapes, assaults and burglaries?

Must be quite expensive to chase them around, on the road, much easier to go around to their abode before they kill someone with their defective brakes.

No matter how they do it, a police officer following up an MOTd car isn't following up another crime. They have limited resource, do you really want them to concentrate on cars with no MOT?

An automated fine in the post could do the job just as well.