The former Durham Ox pub and Old Harrow, what a mess.

I walk past these most days and they do look a mess.... not sure why they are still standing unless they are a listed building, not even sure who has them now.

Another pubs just up the road .. The Blue Bell (I think that's the name )closed a while ago (Cricket Inn tram stop) and seems to be converted and ready to be a shop, wont be a pub again. The Wybourn across the road I am sure I saw a "for sale" sign

I only lived in the area for 3 years (Duke St) and we normally frequented the Harrow, the New Inn and the Tetley heritage pub opposite the flats. Sadly from google street view that seems to be shrouded in vegetation now. It was a decent friendly boozer for this new to Sheffield midlander in the mid / late 1980s

I remember the blue bell having very grand black and white tiled gents toilets.

You would think that with the development of the Park Hill flats, Urban Splash and all that, at least one of those pubs could have survived

Bell Vue is the next pub up from Durham Ox like you say looks like an conversion to a shop. The Wybourn been on the market for quite some time reduced a few times.

-----------------

Hi Crookedspire, Did you know the Park Workingmens Club as been

knocked to the ground, i heard flats are to be biult on the ground.

Enclose pic of club. I never did get to try the place.

-----------------

Hi Crookedspire, Did you know the Park Workingmens Club as been

knocked to the ground, i heard flats are to be biult on the ground.

Enclose pic of club. I never did get to try the place.

Yes noticed that Park Gardeners Club was gone been told its going to be flats as well Seemed a shame didn't seem that old an building.

Yes noticed that Park Gardeners Club was gone been told its going to be flats as well Seemed a shame didn't seem that old an building.

As far as I recall it wasnt that attractive a building anyway. the Ox was sad kksy because of the neglect and the poor state, which it shouldnt have been left to get into. Pathetic how vandals think its fun to smash windows and it looked as though there had been fires etc.

I lived in the Durham Ox between 2000 and 2001. Really sad to see it in such a state. It was a great year I had in there.

Also sad the state ye old Harrow is in. We were regulars at the time. The landlord and landlady were great when we used to go in there

The Old Harrow was a great pub. Had a little room off the bar with a pool table in it, with just enough room to use your cue.!

Back in the early 90's i got chatting to a fella in there from the States, a yank..! He was over here on some sort of business..we got chatting as you do..!  He showed me a £20 pound note and asked me if i thought it was real?  (These were the new ones with a silver dotted strip in them..!)

I had a damned good look at it and said.."It looks and feels real enough to me". He said it was a 'Fake'..! And HE had made it.!

I said go on then how'd ye make it...He went on to describe in detail how he did it..!

I won't divulge here all what he said, and i never went on to do it myself.!

But what i can say is that when the new £20 came out with the 'Silver dotted strip' in it...He used the silver foil from a KitKat wrapper.!

True story that...Great times.

The Manager of the Old Harrow used to pay in at the Bank I worked at in Sheffield way back in 1963/5.

Tall guy, black hair. Looked as though he would have no trouble in chucking out troublemakers.

It might be the old cynic in me but derelict/closed pubs being burnt down seems common :suspect:

Mmmm..... No doubt someone will be getting impatient to build apartments on these sites.