Best car for the environment?

Who cares? Buy the car you like,forget the environment.Just look at the massive gas guzzling,air polluting cars MPs are driven about in,they don't care but they tell us we have to.

Who cares? Buy the car you like,forget the environment.Just look at the massive gas guzzling,air polluting cars MPs are driven about in,they don't care but they tell us we have to.

Do they all drive air polluting cars, all 650 of them? And does that equate to the other 1.5 million? I rather think it doesn't.

My 1966 LandRover........new cars take lots of energy to build, with a huge use of plastics.......electronic everything....powered this and that...... you just do not get a driving experience. Now with an old Landie, every journey is an adventure....... with a Landie, servicing costs are minimal, parts are easy to get and inexpensive, it is cheap to insure.... and there is no VED to pay. Win-win!

My 1966 LandRover........new cars take lots of energy to build, with a huge use of plastics.......electronic everything....powered this and that...... you just do not get a driving experience. Now with an old Landie, every journey is an adventure....... with a Landie, servicing costs are minimal, parts are easy to get and inexpensive, it is cheap to insure.... and there is no VED to pay. Win-win!

Even though the powers that b consider your Landie an environmental disaster you and people like you have in fact acted more green than all the trendies that are rushing to buy the latest battery powered vehicles .

The manufacture of plastics and most of all the battery power units needed goes far above the pollution omitted by your old car over the fifty years it has been on the road .

And getting rid of those battery's is another environmental disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by samssong

Do they all drive air polluting cars, all 650 of them? And does that equate to the other 1.5 million? I rather think it doesn't.

I think the Prius is used by many as a ministerial car.

A nasty car to build environmentally but not a gas guzzler in of itself.

I assume electric would be best for local air quality; which type of car is best for the environment, on a low budget?

Electric is good for our local air, but the process of creating the vehicle and it's batteries isn't amazing for the environment, it's just bad for the environment in another part of the world.

Electric is good for our local air, but the process of creating the vehicle and it's batteries isn't amazing for the environment, it's just bad for the environment in another part of the world.

Back in the old days you could tune your car for power, these days its all done via a computer chip.

I do less than 5,000 miles per year, but I buy older cars, ones that have already done 100,000+ miles

Electric cars are terrible for the environment.

we extract oil. use it to generate electricity at a significant loss.

then we use the electricity to charge batteries at a significant loss

then we use those batteries to power the car.

if we just use the oil its all a LOT more efficient.

The National Grid has announced that onshore and offshore wind-turbines

have set a new record by generating more than 10,000 megawatts of

electricity for the first time.

The record of 10,104MW was achieved between 2 and 2.30pm on 8 Dec 2016, providing 23% of Britain’s total electricity demand at that time.

And wind generation is still growing. Electric cars are ideal, in that they can be recharged overnight.

and for the rest of the yr when the wind was not so strong? no one ever remembers to quote the days when wind produced 1%.

And the average would be around 10%?

Many people have solar on their roofs, or even their own wind turbine. No renewables will solve our climate change issues, but wind turbines have been around for a very long time.

neatly ignoring the fact that in order to build a wind turbine, you need to mine steel, transport it around the world. cast concrete in the ocean, run cables.

etc none of which are eco at all.

---------- Post added 25-12-2016 at 12:16 ----------

and for the rest of the yr when the wind was not so strong? no one ever remembers to quote the days when wind produced 1%.

But I believe wind turbines offset their lifetime CO2 footprint (including production and eventual dismantling) in about 6 months or so. That figure might be for onshore wind turbines, but even if offshore turbines took a few years to offset their footprint they would still be beneficial in the long term.

It would obviously be almost impossible to build anything that didn't have some initial costs in terms of energy and CO2, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be built at all - especially if all those things are offset within a few years.

6 Months? I can't see that to be honest, it seems far too quick.