BMW 7 series 2002-2007

I just love the look of these cars.

Never had the privilege to drive one,though have sat in one!

The price of the 745i was around 180K in Australia when they came out - its dropped like a brick since. You can buy one now for as low as 10K

For a V8 the 3.6 litre 735i only used 10.7 litres per 100kms which is pretty good.

The price of the 745i was around 180K in Australia when they came out - its dropped like a brick since. You can buy one now for as low as 10K

Fairly common for large luxury German cars, they depreciate like an absolute stone till they're basically worthless.

Problem is parts are still expensive, and being a luxury motor they're rammed with all sorts of Toys that can break and cause issues.

One big repair bill is usually all it takes to send them to the metal yard.

About 10 years ago I bought a 1990 E32 730i for £600. It was the best car I've ever had, everything was electric. even the headrests went up and down electrically. Only problem was it did around 10 MPG around town and that was the 3L V8 auto.

Fairly common for large luxury German cars, they depreciate like an absolute stone till they're basically worthless.

Problem is parts are still expensive, and being a luxury motor they're rammed with all sorts of Toys that can break and cause issues.

Not so for the late 70s and early 80s 635csi mate,the prices have gone through the roof for them in the last few years.

The manual versions are like hens teeth and attract high prices, even as a scrapper.

In my opinion the most beautiful bmw they ever made.

A highline late year manual would be a welcome christmas present.

Huge luxury car owners don't buy them with their hearts, they buy them because they're the best possible solution to getting about and looking flash. So when the new one comes out, they chuck the old one which makes them huge bargains.

For the same price of a fully loaded Focus you could have the previous generation Mercedes S class. 6 years old perhaps? That's epic value for money, but like you say when they go wrong, it's expensive.

And they went to the scrap yards in droves, truly outstanding cars mixed in with metros - completely amazing :rolleyes:

And they went to the scrap yards in droves, truly outstanding cars mixed in with metros - completely amazing :rolleyes:

That was mostly down to that government scrappage scheme!

It was a travesty for classic car fans like myself.

How can it be better to scrap an old car with the energy and pollution involved to do so,and buy a new car that has also taken energy and created pollution rather than keep on driving your older car that has to pass at least a basic emisions test every mot ( the paramaters of which are set by the cars age)

Cant be right.

Some future classics were crushed for no good reason.

Thats why you mostly only see "euroboxes" on the road now.

Its an event when you see anything from the 90's nevermind any earlier.

Edited by yellowperil