'Smart' M1 (J34 'ish') 'almost' up and running..

Have a red airline blow on a hgv then tell me you don't just stop especially if your fully loaded

There won't be any brake lights either! A lot of smoke though ;)

what upsets me about m1, improvements ie smart motarway always begins in London and finishes in leeds why not the otherway round

"upset" :rolleyes:

Having no hard shoulder seems incredibly dangerous as situation below!!

:loopy:

I broke down other week in a 44 ton wagon between 32and31 s b c the highways never picked me up on camera ,it was a passing traffic cop that notified them and the amount of drivers that nearly hit me was unbelivable

No one has been killed by not having these

No one might have been killed by motorway not having a hard shoulder but when there is a crash like today at chapletown section of m1at least there is somewhere for vehicles to be put on instead of clogging a lane up

---------- Post added 09-12-2016 at 16:28 ----------

I was once alongside a wagon when that happened. It was quite incredibly loud and I was amazed at how fast they do actually stop when you dont want them to if you see what I mean!

I know first hand what you mean ,when it first happened to me I thought I'd hit an invisible brick wall how quick I stopped .

"upset" :rolleyes:

Grammar Nazi :roll:

Grammar Nazi :roll:

Would think more 'emotion nazi' :roll:

The loss of the hard shoulder will end in tears.

Someone thinks that is a price worth paying.

No one has been killed by not having these

............ Yet !!! :shakes:

............ Yet !!! :shakes:

Of course someone is going to be killed, no doubt there will be many over the years and what will the reason be??

There are hundreds of dual carriageways over the country that have no hard shoulder. Most have the same speed limit as a motorway so what is the difference??

Roads are safe it's the drivers/licence holders/steering wheel occupiers that are the danger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu9qxbYMoJE

Have a look, no hard shoulder required.

It's ok upgrading to "Smart Motorways" but we need to upgrade to "Smart Motorists" too.

Too many times, have I seen driver's move to lane 2 with nothing in lane 1, causing other motorist to either slow down, or undertake.

Each evening I join the M1 at Catcliffe and travel North up the M1. To my surprise the other evening, I was pleasantly surprised to find that from J34 (Meadowhall), the roadworks have been cleared, the speed restrictions upped to 60mph, and a little further on there's 4 lanes (but no hard shoulder)...Traffic is definitely moving a lot quicker (obviously).

However my morning commute is Southbound, and I'm not sure why, but there are also 4 lanes open, there seems to be a horrendous tailback on the inside lane for around 2 miles short of Meadowhall. I'm not sure if it's a bit of a glitch on the newly opened road, or they've screwed up on something. But if you're on the inside lane and wanting to get off the motorway at Meadowhall it's a complete pain.

Anyone any thoughts or experience or inside information?

Also: I was under the impression that only 2 lanes were allowed on the top deck of the Tinsley viaduct, due to weight limitations and EU ruling?...Not sure about southbound, but northbound there is definitely 3 lanes open.

The sequencing on the lights on the roundabout as you come off at J34 aren't working properly which is possibly causing most of the additional queues.

There were major strengthening works on the viaduct a few years ago, the 2 lane running was introduced to help traffic flows due to the amount of traffic exiting and joining the M1 at J34. Don't really understand what the EU has to do with anything

Edited by jamie0114