Should our unemployed be forced to pick fruit?

Should our unemployed be forced to do seasonal work?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should our unemployed be forced to do seasonal work?

• Yes
    • No

No need to bring it back, there are more slaves now than ever before in history.

on zero hours wage, minimum wage etc

on zero hours wage, minimum wage etc

No genuine slaves, people forced into labour by other people.

People have mentioned forcing unemployed to pick fruit will lower wages, I would like to point out the £100bn welfare bill not including pensions nearly 10% of taxes is lowering everyone's wage anyway !

original:

People have mentioned forcing unemployed to pick fruit will lower wages, I would like to point out the £100bn welfare bill not including pensions nearly 10% of taxes is lowering everyone's wage anyway !

Perhaps rather than unemployed be forced to pick fruit for this £100bn, a new idea of how better to distribute this money should be thought about.

new:

Perhaps rather than unemployed be forced to pick fruit for this '£100bn', a new idea of how better to distribute this money should be thought about.

Edited by *_ash_*
benefit of Cyclone

Out of interest how much of that is unemployment benefits? Do you know?

Perhaps rather than unemployed be forced to pick fruit for this £100bn, a new idea of how better to distribute this money should be thought about.

Or if housing was more plentiful and cheaper the benefits bill would reduce. Or if neo-liberal economics was able to provide more reliable and better paid work.

How much of this £100bn welfare bill is paid out for in work benefits?

Plenty of workers also claim benefits so maybe they should be forced to pick fruit on their days off eh? :rolleyes:

so, adding an extra layer that erodes prospects even more is better? bearing in mind we already have low wages, and welfare benefits to top these up. you then want to erode them even more by forcing the unemployed to do jobs for even less when people could actually be employed doing these jobs (on admittedly low wages)

Plenty of workers also claim benefits so maybe they should be forced to pick fruit on their days off eh? :rolleyes:

And pensioners. Actually that's quite a chilling thought, I bet there is someone in a right wing think tank somewhere who has already had the idea of making people work for their pensions.

theyll be wanting to bring back the workhouses next with 12 hour days...and Gruel lol

Or if housing was more plentiful and cheaper the benefits bill would reduce. Or if neo-liberal economics was able to provide more reliable and better paid work.

This is probably the best way to reduce people's outgoings.

Needs more though. Scraping housing benefits and in work benefits which put prices up would also need to be done.

Probably too late for this now. NMW and in work benefits and almost all Blair's policies have caused these problems.

Anyone who has been unemployed for more than 6 month without medical reasons should be forced to do work, not unpaid work but work for their dole money.