Should our unemployed be forced to pick fruit?

Should our unemployed be forced to do seasonal work?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should our unemployed be forced to do seasonal work?

• Yes
    • No

Or if housing was more plentiful and cheaper the benefits bill would reduce. Or if neo-liberal economics was able to provide more reliable and better paid work.

This is probably the best way to reduce people's outgoings.

Needs more though. Scraping housing benefits and in work benefits which put prices up would also need to be done.

Or if housing was more plentiful and cheaper the benefits bill would reduce. Or if neo-liberal economics was able to provide more reliable and better paid work.

Probably too late for this now. NMW and in work benefits and almost all Blair's policies have caused these problems.

Anyone who has been unemployed for more than 6 month without medical reasons should be forced to do work, not unpaid work but work for their dole money.

What about those who can't get employment due to having an unspent conviction?

I worked for my benefits a few years ago now.

I went on as many training schemes as I could to train in office work and made sure I volunteered when "placements" came up.

I worked a 9-5 job in an office and was only paid my benefits.

I used the office envorinment to gain experience and skills and put it down on my CV as "work" - this looked better when I was going for "proper" jobs, as the saying goes "it's easier to find work, when you're in work"

I hated it when i had to sit at home and do nothing because at the time you used to have wait so many months in between schemes.

I paid for a weekly bus pass out of my money and shopped in charity shops so I had "smart office wear"

I also tried volunteering in a charity shop to gain experience.

I worked for my benefits a few years ago now.

I went on as many training schemes as I could to train in office work and made sure I volunteered when "placements" came up.

I worked a 9-5 job in an office and was only paid my benefits.

I used the office envorinment to gain experience and skills and put it down on my CV as "work" - this looked better when I was going for "proper" jobs, as the saying goes "it's easier to find work, when you're in work"

I hated it when i had to sit at home and do nothing because at the time you used to have wait so many months in between schemes.

I paid for a weekly bus pass out of my money and shopped in charity shops so I had "smart office wear"

I also tried volunteering in a charity shop to gain experience.

Did it work? I mean did all the work experience help you succeed in an interview for a job?

Did it work? I mean did all the work experience help you succeed in an interview for a job?

Hi

Yes it did, I was taken on at one of the placements I was at. Back then they used commen sense and said you're already doing the job and can do it - here you go! :-)

Hi

Yes it did, I was taken on at one of the placements I was at. Back then they used commen sense and said you're already doing the job and can do it - here you go! :-)

So a sort of short apprenticeship/trial after all the courses then. Congratulations.

This might be a model for people wanting to get into a different area of employment.

I know it works with universities. Students do the course get intro's, for placements in areas they are interested in, have interviews. Hopefully get a placement. If it proves to be a dead end for some reason they have experience to put on the CV,, pretty much like you.

So a sort of short apprenticeship/trial after all the courses then. Congratulations.

This might be a model for people wanting to get into a different area of employment.

I know it works with universities. Students do the course get intro's, for placements in areas they are interested in, have interviews. Hopefully get a placement. If it proves to be a dead end for some reason they have experience to put on the CV,, pretty much like you.

Thank you - it wasn't easy, I wasn't offered the first "job" I worked in, I had to do a few placements to get my foot in the door, so to speak.

But I didn't view it as a "forced employment" more an opportunity, something I could take advantage of for my CV and my self esteem. I felt better going out "to work" then I did sitting home waiting for my giro :-D

I expect that some of the companies used you as a source of cheap labour and had no intention of ever hiring anyone though.

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 11:31 ----------

Anyone who has been unemployed for more than 6 month without medical reasons should be forced to do work, not unpaid work but work for their dole money.

So just a few hours a week at minimum wage then to qualify.

And which lucky chap/chapess loses their job, because if there's work to do then someone could actually have that as a job, right?

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 11:34 ----------

Perhaps rather than unemployed be forced to pick fruit for this £100bn, a new idea of how better to distribute this money should be thought about.

£3bn in unemployment benefits.

Sounds a lot different to £100bn doesn't it.

http://visual.ons.gov.uk/welfare-spending/

I expect that some of the companies used you as a source of cheap labour and had no intention of ever hiring anyone though.

/QUOTE]

Of course.. one had me just stufing envelopes, I asked for a different placement! But while i was there I also used their computer and their "Windows for Idiots Book" and taught myself windows and excel.... use and use alike I thought!

Edited by The Giraffe