The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

Why would people lose their jobs as a result of Brexit?

If and when businesses re locate out of the UK and back into the EU,in an EU country.

Okay, noted.

For the sake of clarity, no, I don't believe that any special deal is needed to sell into the EU.

But I do believe that special deals contribute a fair way to making the difference between your products being bought by EU customers or those of the (better-dealt ;)) competition.

Never more so than for commodity-type products and services (and there aren't many products and services that aren't commodity to a sizeable extent these globalised days)

I agree that it's important to remember that protectionism doesn't only come in the form of tariffs and that common standards have advantages.

If and when businesses re locate out of the UK and back into the EU,in an EU country.
Like ours, to an extent.

Given the current outlook, new jobs will now not be created in Sheffield for the foreseeable future, rather we'll be creating and staffing at least 2 new EU jobs by end 2018, perhaps 3 (so 1 loss to UK) as I've yet to decide if I'm relocating to launch and head the EU satellite or not (depends on what eventually concretises out of No.10).

We'll be lucky if we manage to avoid redundancies in the UK next year. It'll be either that, or profits reduced to the extent that we could end up sending nothing to No.11's coffers. Take your pick, a black eye to UK Plc's cashflow just the same :(

Shame, as the apprenticeship model for developing new support staff has been working really well for us over the past 3 years, with 2 fresh-from-school, know-nothing apprentices turned into professional PA-grade secretaries, and we just took on our 3rd. I didn't ask how they voted ;)

Edited by L00b

But then those businesses wouldn't have free access to the UK market. Although businesses in Europe that want access to the UK market could relocate here.

---------- Post added 28-11-2016 at 15:31 ----------

Like ours, to an extent.

Given the current outlook, new jobs will now not be created in Sheffield for the foreseeable future, rather we'll be creating and staffing at least 2 new EU jobs by end 2018, perhaps 3 (so 1 loss to UK) as I've yet to decide if I'm relocating to launch and head the EU satellite or not (depends on what eventually concretises out of No.10).

We'll be lucky if we manage to avoid redundancies in the UK next year. It'll be either that, or profits reduced to the extent that we could end up sending nothing to No.11's coffers. Take your pick, a black eye to UK Plc's cashflow just the same :(

Shame, as the apprenticeship model for developing new support staff has been working really well for us over the past 3 years, with 2 fresh-from-school, know-nothing apprentices turned into professional PA-grade secretaries, and we just took on our 3rd. I didn't ask how they voted ;)

Never mind Google are bringing 3000 jobs to the UK and we have more people in work than at any time in our history. Most coming from overseas to take up the strain, but good luck. :wave:

Edited by aa2900

But then those businesses wouldn't have free access to the UK market. Although businesses in Europe that want access to the UK market could relocate here.

Well,if they wanted free access to the UK market,they wouldn't re locate would they............I'm talking about jobs or businesses that could move back into the EU from the UK.....you don't even need to move the whole business,just the jobs.

we have more people in work than at any time in our history. Most coming from overseas to take up the strain, but good luck. :wave:

Aye. And the Treasury believes that immigration is good for the economy. So accepting free movement of people as part of being in the single market is OK.

Unfortunately the popular misconception is that immigrants cause unemployment so it is politically awkward. It's easier to go along with misconceptions than to challenge them.

I think "Leave the EU, stay in the EEA, have free movement of people" does seem rather sensible.

---------- Post added 28-11-2016 at 15:31 ----------

Never mind Google are bringing 3000 jobs to the UK and we have more people in work than at any time in our history. Most coming from overseas to take up the strain, but good luck. :wave:

Er,I think the whole idea of Brexit was that UK unemployed and the ones that had their jobs taken from them were going to take up the strain.........you know...........takin' our country back and all that stuff.

Ah, yes, Google, that paragon of ethical corporate tax payment.

The NI and PAYE income tax from 3,000 UK employees (and they'll all be Brits under a UK contract of employment and resident taxpayers, right? :twisted:) will certainly be welcome, but I wouldn't count on (part-)financing working tax credits or the NHS from Google's corpo tax take if I were you :hihi:

Edited by L00b

Er,I think the whole idea of Brexit was that UK unemployed and the ones that had their jobs taken from them were going to take up the strain.........you know...........takin' our country back and all that stuff.

Well folk can put whatever reason forward that suits them. As far as I'm concerned once Britain pulls free of EU constraints we will be free to open our borders to anyone who will bring benefit to the country and shut the doors to those who won't.

---------- Post added 28-11-2016 at 15:56 ----------

Ah, yes, Google, that paragon of ethical corporate tax payment.

The NI and PAYE income tax from 3,000 UK employees (and they'll all be Brits under a UK contract of employment and resident taxpayers, right? :twisted:) will certainly be welcome, but I wouldn't count on (part-)financing working tax credits or the NHS from Google's corpo tax take if I were you :hihi:

3000 folk working for Google in the UK will pay their income taxes where?

Looking at employment rate in isolation is naive. You need to also consider productivity as well. An increase in employment should also give a corresponding increase in productivity, but it hasn't. Productivity is effectively stagnant while employment rate rises. From this you can conclude that the majority of jobs being created are in the low wage economy which actually do not do much when looking at the bigger picture.

You can just imagine the clamour for daily 80 mile round trips into Lincolnshire to pick fruit and veg on minimum wage.

You can just imagine the clamour for daily 80 mile round trips into Lincolnshire to pick fruit and veg on minimum wage.

Why would we need anyone to pick fruit & veg on minimum wage. Minimum wage is now £7.20 and rising. It is pricing home grown vegetables out of the market. It is better for our workforce to work in jobs where we don't have to top up their income. The foreign workers who currently live in sheds and pick vegetables can of course go back to Eastern Europe and pick vegetables for their minimum wage (160 Euros/month in Albania) and sell them to us instead.

It would help Albania where there is around 16% unemployment and god knows their economy needs the money.

Edited by aa2900