The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

I'd hardly qualify an opinion poll as 'factual': its results will of course be factual, but extending those results to the entire corpus of a nation (never mind merely the subset that is its electorate) is clearly conjecture, if not simply as a matter of common sense, then in view of the pre-referendum and pre-US election polling which amply demonstrated as much (factually so, one might add ;)).

No amount of explanations will persuade the people that no brexit or soft Brexit is preferable to a hard Brexit, until it hits them hard in the pocket. Because 'the people' doesn't have the requisite level of understanding about the full ramifications: heck, even Davis still doesn't know, so how do you expect 'the people' to?

'The people' buys simplistic messages on posters and buses engineered to correlate with its perception of daily life experiences, for votes.

By the time 'the people' pays £3 per litre of diesel, £2 per loaf of bread, sees its mortgage APR rise to 9% and can't afford its annual pilgrimage to Lanzagrotte, it's too late.

Serves 'the people' right for being imbeciles letting its government treat education the way which it has for a couple decades.

The margin of error is 2-3%.

I look forward to hear how that margin of error correlates with your disposable income by this time next year, and then in 2020 :hihi:

EDIT: May announces that she'll block the Scottish referendum until after Brexit.

May has effectively told Scotland, "No, you may not make decisions for yourselves, that's for us down in London to do", with the intended polarising effect on people who would have been on the fence. Which ironically mirrors exactly why England and Wales voted to leave the EU: a lack of apparent autonomy and sovereignty.

Beautiful political move for the SNP, made with impeccable timing: now they can build their case for independence around all the promises which Brexit fails to deliver over the next few months and years.

Remember today: it is the day May effectively lost the Union. And this is a direct consequence of Brexit.

Edited by L00b

You need a new dictionary, to look up the definition of "electorate".

You mean this: Electorate, "all the people in a country or area who are entitled to vote in an election." As you probably already know its not the electorate that counts in an election but the number of votes cast.

There is also no information in Litotes post to back this up: "Only 37% of the electorate backed what she is doing." and because it is the electorate he is talking about there is also no information to back this up either: "From my personal observations - that 37% is declining - many leavers I know regret the way they voted." as the electorate will not decline unless something actually strips their voting rights. from them and stops them from voting. That's why his premise is wrong and so is his figures quoted.

Whilst you have your wallet out, book a couple of lessons in Political History.

Why ? can you elaborate?

Edited by apelike

Perhaps we should re-adopt Mayday as an international distress call.

Yes, I know it used to be spelled m'aidez.

And/or those that voted remain. That's how I read it. She is attempting to get everyone behind Brexit.

I'm not sure she will succeed but I can't see why I1L2T3 struggles with what she meant.

I'm not struggling. If Brexit is the will of the people then there is no need to tour. Simple as that. It is May that keeps using the term "will of the people".

I'm not struggling. If Brexit is the will of the people then there is no need to tour. Simple as that. It is May that keeps using the term "will of the people".

Brexit is the will of the people by definition of Brexit winning the referendum. However, nearly half didn't vote in favour. So she is touring to build consensus for Brexit. So it becomes the will of all the people. That's how I read it.

I fail to see how you could not conjure up that interpretation by yourself.

Brexit is the will of the people by definition of Brexit winning the referendum. However, nearly half didn't vote in favour. So she is touring to build consensus for Brexit. So it becomes the will of all the people. That's how I read it.

I fail to see how you could not conjure up that interpretation by yourself.

This was my interpretation. Currently >55% of the people are with her. She'd like more. Sounds a rather positive approach to me and I don't really like May.

This was my interpretation. Currently >55% of the people are with her. She'd like more. Sounds a rather positive approach to me and I don't really like May.
Seriously? Are you having a laugh?

(I have to ask, as your trademark inverted sarcasm marks aren't showing) :|

It's all explained here in this news article

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/may-to-tour-uk-telling-everyone-to-shut-the-fk-up-20170315124160

Before you all start, this publication is known for far superior reporting accuracy than either the Daily Mail or Fox News.

Assuming the sample is representative of the subject cohort. Is that the case with yougov?

For a well respected institute like Ipsos Mori it probably would be, but I've seen the s***** that yougov trot out and I'm not at all convinced of their ability to pick a balanced sample.

Also what were the questions asked, as someone else has already raised.

---------- Post added 16-03-2017 at 15:05 ----------

It's all explained here in this news article

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/may-to-tour-uk-telling-everyone-to-shut-the-fk-up-20170315124160

Before you all start, this publication is known for far superior reporting accuracy than either the Daily Mail or Fox News.

If that's really how far you have descended in debate then perhaps you should listen to the article and shut the f---- up.

Brexit is the will of the people by definition of Brexit winning the referendum...

Except that it isn't: that is an interpretation of an advisory vote. And a vote based of false information.

Assuming the sample is representative of the subject cohort. Is that the case with yougov?

For a well respected institute like Ipsos Mori it probably would be, but I've seen the s***** that yougov trot out and I'm not at all convinced of their ability to pick a balanced sample.

Also what were the questions asked, as someone else has already raised.

---------- Post added 16-03-2017 at 15:05 ----------

If that's really how far you have descended in debate then perhaps you should listen to the article and shut the f---- up.

That wnews article was as a joke.

I thought it was clear from the context.

What do you estimate as the systematic uncertainty on the poll?