Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

2 minutes ago, MyBrainHurts said:

Behind every alcoholic or drug addict there is usually a broken soul. Probably an abusive childhood or some other issue, mental health usually.

Homelessness in some circumstances isn't about a lack of housing it's about people leading chaotic lives.

We all have heartache in our lives but we learn to deal with it, instead of conning and scrounging from people who give money in good faith. They affect people's enjoyment of city centres and built up areas and many of them are part of the drugs fraternity, some of them dealing.  The do-gooders who give to them are only fuelling the problem. If you have a mouse in your kitchen and you keep leaving cheese out for it, it will keep coming back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

We all have heartache in our lives but we learn to deal with it, instead of conning and scrounging from people who give money in good faith. They affect people's enjoyment of city centres and built up areas and many of them are part of the drugs fraternity, some of them dealing.  The do-gooders who give to them are only fuelling the problem. If you have a mouse in your kitchen and you keep leaving cheese out for it, it will keep coming back.

That's gonna ruffle a few feathers. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

You'll find life doesn't irritate you as much if you let go of the hate. I know it's annoying for businesses and people visiting the city but the only way to solve the problem is to put them in a camp or vote for people who have ideas to solve the problem. Go to a hustings the next time they want your vote.

8 minutes ago, MyBrainHurts said:

You'll find life doesn't irritate you as much if you let go of the hate. I know it's annoying for businesses and people visiting the city but the only way to solve the problem is to put them in a camp or vote for people who have ideas to solve the problem. Go to a hustings the next time they want your vote.

Is there a problem to solve? As others have posted, many of them already have homes, e.g. on the Lansdowne Estate and I know of some of them being housed in Burncross. Don't take what strangers tell you at face value.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Is there a problem to solve? As others have posted, many of them already have homes, e.g. on the Lansdowne Estate and I know of some of them being housed in Burncross. Don't take what strangers tell you at face value.

Does that include what you tell us?

I work on a gastro and hepatology ward. We have a high percentage of drinkers/homeless/semi-homeless patients.

It’d be really easy to be judgemental but until you know their stories it’s much more decent and human not to be.

’There but for the Grace of God go I’ springs to mind on a regular basis.

Edited by nikki-red
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, nikki-red said:

I work on a gastro and hepatology ward. We have a high percentage of drinkers/homeless/semi-homeless patients.

It’d be really easy to be judgemental but until you know their stories it’s much more decent and human not to be.

We all judge. Was it you judging trans women on another thread? Or am I mistaken?

21 hours ago, nikki-red said:

There are the haters who judge and despise the street people.  Which is sad and wrong.

But those who ‘help’ by handing them money are just clueless that they are making a bad situation worse.  I’ve heard every lame excuse in the book on here and elsewhere defending this.  One of the dumbest being that they think they are preventing street people turning to crime to fund their habits.  Anyone wanting to help the homeless should give to a charity for the homeless.  Some have criticised charities for various reasons and others maybe want that warm fuzzy feeling they get hanging over cash to a beggar.  Someone died outside Poundland not so long ago because they refused to go to hospital in order to beg to find their drug habit.  
I remember Nottingham (council?) ran a campaign a few years back to try and stop people giving to beggars and help in other ways.  But the do gooders stopped it claiming it was spreading hate or some tosh.  
It is possible to have sympathy for street people and help them without being a gullible idiot who is helping only the dealers.

• Like 1