Supermarket etiquette

That's one reason I hate the self scan things with a passion. Your complaint, is wrong I reckon. The Asda I go to, each time you scan something, it 'has' to be put on the side and be weighed by the system. Just in case you put something there that you didn't scan. I've tried packing as I scan, and as I use my own shopping bags (hessian type), the system gives me the "Unexpected item in the bagging area" message, because it thinks the weight of my bag is an 'item'. So I've taken to just scanning stuff, slinging it in the bagging area and then packing it up when I've paid...Even then it nags me to "Please take your items"....

Oh and one more niggle...Waiting at the checkout for someone who 'knows' (relative / friend / work colleague etc) the operator and decides to have a big fat conversation with them.

Yessss!! That is annoying... I also find overly talkative cashiers incredibly irritating :rant:

Yessss!! That is annoying... I also find overly talkative cashiers incredibly irritating :rant:

I don't mind a cashier being chatty, as long as they can scan and talk at the same time...I think it's called multi-tasking...Blokes can't do it though.

I don't mind a cashier being chatty, as long as they can scan and talk at the same time...I think it's called multi-tasking...Blokes can't do it though.

Don't be stupid of course we can. I do it ooooh look, chocolate biccies.

Sorry you were saying?

I don't mind chatty Pete! i dont mind chatty at all... but i'm not talking about 'chatty' I'm talking about the ones with the life story and have a comment on every single item of yours they scan through, what they're having for their tea that night and how many sugars they put in their coffee!!! You spend the entire time nodding and fake laughing even though in your head you're screaming 'DEAR GOD LET IT STOP' and even after you've paid and there's a queue behind you they are still talking to you and you're left feeling like you're letting the rest of the queue down because you know for a fact they're all thinking the same thing 'She's paid, what's her problem? Why is she still stood there? Why isn't she leaving? WHEN WILL IT END??!!!!!

I also get really wound up when i'm in a queue and my shopping is already on the conveyer belt and there's someone behind me and to my horror i notice in advance that i've picked the talkative one but it's too late to do anything about it, im just stuck there, soul destroyed, accepting my fate...........

Edited by Chelle-82

Don't be stupid of course we can. I do it ooooh look, chocolate biccies.

Sorry you were saying?

Hahaha...That's called the butterfly syndrome, at least that's what I call it...

---------- Post added 27-09-2016 at 14:01 ----------

I don't mind chatty Pete! i dont mind chatty at all... but i'm not talking about 'chatty' I'm talking about the ones with the life story and have a comment on every single item of yours they scan through, what they're having for their tea that night and how many sugars they put in their coffee!!! You spend the entire time nodding and fake laughing even though in your head you're screaming 'DEAR GOD LET IT STOP' and even after you've paid and there's a queue behind you they are still talking to you and you're left feeling like you're letting the rest of the queue down because you know for a fact they're all thinking the same thing 'She's paid, what's her problem? Why is she still stood there? Why isn't she leaving? WHEN WILL IT END??!!!!!

I also get really wound up when i'm in a queue and my shopping is already on the conveyer belt and there's someone behind me and to my horror i notice in advance that i've picked the talkative one but it's too late to do anything about it, im just stuck there, soul destroyed, accepting my fate...........

Yep, I agree there...That's not being 'chatty' it's being a pain in the arse...

Which leads me back to my niggle, cos everyone else in the queue 'thinks' the cashier is your mate and is irritated by the big fat conversation...hhaha

Edited by PeteMorris

Hahaha...That's called the butterfly syndrome, at least that's what I call it...

---------- Post added 27-09-2016 at 14:01 ----------

Yep, I agree there...That's not being 'chatty' it's being a pain in the arse...

Which leads me back to my niggle, cos everyone else in the queue 'thinks' the cashier is your mate and is irritated by the big fat conversation...hhaha

I know!! You can feel the eyes burning into the back of your head as they're all thinking what a set of twerps we are for talking! I can honestly say i don't want to be stood there talking just as much as they don't want me to be :hihi:

I also get irritated, and i probably shouldnt, you know when you've only got a few bits in your basket and the person in front has a full conveyer filled with their shopping and they can see you only have a few items but don't let you go first.... I only get irritated by this because i always let people go in front of me when i've got a 'BIG' shop and they only have a bottle of milk or something.. Especially the elderly! Suppose i just have to accept not everyone is as courteous :|

Edited by Chelle-82

Another I just encountered...

You leave the queue, you can't expect to come back after you wondered up to the other end of the store, and get back in to your same place in the queue...

I was at the back of the queue, the person in question was 2 in front of me, I heard her say "i'll be back in a second" and left, I watched as she walked all the way to the opposite end of the store, and disappeared... She was a good 3 or 4 minutes, then wondered back, and got back in to where she was... by this time, there was about another 10 people behind me.... I heard a few of them moan to each other about her, I even said something, and just got a backlash from her....

Another I just encountered...

You leave the queue, you can't expect to come back after you wondered up to the other end of the store, and get back in to your same place in the queue...

I was at the back of the queue, the person in question was 2 in front of me, I heard her say "i'll be back in a second" and left, I watched as she walked all the way to the opposite end of the store, and disappeared... She was a good 3 or 4 minutes, then wondered back, and got back in to where she was... by this time, there was about another 10 people behind me.... I heard a few of them moan to each other about her, I even said something, and just got a backlash from her....

This is dodgy territory for me. Once or twice I'll be in queue and think "bugger! Milk!" And I'll dash off and fetch it (and I do dash - I don't amble) but only if I've already filled up the conveyer belt and I'm waiting for the person in front to finish, and/or there's nobody behind me.

This is dodgy territory for me. Once or twice I'll be in queue and think "bugger! Milk!" And I'll dash off and fetch it (and I do dash - I don't amble) but only if I've already filled up the conveyer belt and I'm waiting for the person in front to finish, and/or there's nobody behind me.

in some circumstances I can understand, in smaller shops where the milk is often near the counter, or there's only 1 in front and one behind them etc, I have done it myself, the person in front of me even dipped out to a shelf immediately next to them, grabbed something, then dipped back in, but the queue didn't move at all...

and like you said, if the conveyer is already filled/waiting for person in front / no one behind...

buy the time the other person returned, the queue had moved quite a bit from when they originally left.

Coupon maximising. And I don't mean a couple of coupons, that's fine, but when someone turns up with a coupon for almost everything and applies them in Byzantine ways to get the maximum off requiring checking the weight and quantities of dozens of items...

Do it at 3pm or midnight, anytime apart from lunchtime when everyones got stuff all time for shopping and need to get back to the office!

That's one reason I hate the self scan things with a passion. Your complaint, is wrong I reckon. The Asda I go to, each time you scan something, it 'has' to be put on the side and be weighed by the system. Just in case you put something there that you didn't scan. I've tried packing as I scan, and as I use my own shopping bags (hessian type), the system gives me the "Unexpected item in the bagging area" message, because it thinks the weight of my bag is an 'item'. So I've taken to just scanning stuff, slinging it in the bagging area and then packing it up when I've paid...Even then it nags me to "Please take your items"....

Oh and one more niggle...Waiting at the checkout for someone who 'knows' (relative / friend / work colleague etc) the operator and decides to have a big fat conversation with them.

Yes it weighs but I have had people that scan the lot and pile the stuff there then they proceed to put it in the bags in their trolley instead of bagging straight away. So they are doing the job twice and holding people up. You have to put your bag their first then touch done and it takes into account the weight of the bag, it kept doing it to me till one of the staff showed me.

what a bunch of moaning minnies.iv"e read these posts and i dont dissagree they do happen ,but it"s just everyday life ,i use supermarkets once or twice a week ,sometimes big shop or small shop ,and 99% of the time no problem. makes me laugh when you buy say 1bottle of milk ,and the cashier ask"s do you want help with your packing.