Motorbike rides around Sheffield.

I've just started riding a few months ago and hope to do my full test by Spring.

I'm on a Yamaha YBR125, which feels fast for me as a newby :hihi:

But I do struggle on fast roads, esp those with hills.

I've been doing a lot of riding around Peaks, finding nice back roads where I can tootle around without cars stuck to me exhaust pipe.

As I live out Rother Valley way, I've also found a lot of nice roads around Clowne, Worksop, Chuckney etc. Some nice villages out that way too.

Did a 160 mile run around the Peaks yesterday. Brill run with 7 mates.

I have no idea how to attach pictures to posts so with a bit of lateral thinking I have put a vague copy of the rout into my avatar.

Yo may be able to "bigger it up" to get the jist of where we were.

here's hoping it works

passing your test, all i had to do was , go with the examiner to the corner, and he said ride round the block, i did so, . he stayed there , i came back and he said you have passed, good old days, had many bikes since then , not got one at the moment, showing my age, suzuki b120, honda 175, super dream, yam xs250, suzuki gt250 air ram, rebuilt by myself, fj1200, suzuki 900r

If you want a fast bike then buy a sportsbike, cruisers are NOT really fast bikes, although my VTX 1800C is 0-60 mph around 3.5/7 secs

...buy a Honda V Twin.. reputation for reliability VT 600/750/1300/1800

I got a V-rod when they first came out in 2002 (before Harley spoiled the design) and I can assure you it did 0-60 in around 3.5 seconds … not bad for for a measly 1130 cc cruiser weighing close to 300kg. Rubbish round corners though. Great fun driving round Derbyshire, mainly the back roads, only doing the posey 'going to Matlock' once on a Sunday. Going anything further than around 70 miles (Whitby springs to mind) required major back surgery after though, mainly due to holding onto the handlebars at speed in an upright position. Still a great bike.

Custom or a Boss Hoss next hopefully (can't afford a Confederate P51 Combat Fighter) :)

I got a V-rod when they first came out in 2002 (before Harley spoiled the design) and I can assure you it did 0-60 in around 3.5 seconds … not bad for for a measly 1130 cc cruiser weighing close to 300kg. Rubbish round corners though. Great fun driving round Derbyshire, mainly the back roads, only doing the posey 'going to Matlock' once on a Sunday. Going anything further than around 70 miles (Whitby springs to mind) required major back surgery after though, mainly due to holding onto the handlebars at speed in an upright position. Still a great bike.

Custom or a Boss Hoss next hopefully (can't afford a Confederate P51 Combat Fighter) :)

What a fabulous bike..this is the one Harley I would go for.I bought my VTX 1800C (320Kg) from Huntson Harley at Chesterfield (3 yrs ago),it was the only non Harley in the showroom and had been part exchanged for a bright yellow ...very expensive..."V" Rod Screaming Eagle.I got in touch with the previous owner...a retired fireman...and he invited me over to Donny for a chat/cuppa..The V Rod was amazing in Yellow with lots of chrome extra's but he was not entirely happy with it and said he regreted selling the Honda,he had just returned from touring Europe on the Honda and the bike was equipped for it ..heated grips/lockable and removable luggage/screen/sissy bar and rack/driving/spot lights,driver backrest/crash bars etc etc.The Harley had none of these and only a small screen/sissy bar and rack could be purchased, plus, nowhere to fit his lockable/removable luggage because of the exhaust,and..it would spoil the looks of the bike entirely.On top of this he said the fuel tank was too small and was topping up every 70 mile or so....I can go 160 miles on the VTX without the fuel light showing...I saw one exactly the same,..year too... a few months later for sale at Lincoln Harley..was it his ???.Surprised you say it was not comfy tho',screen would have helped..cannot understand cruiser riders who say "they like the wind in their face/hair"..I tried the VTX once, without a screen,at speeds over 40mph I was holding on for dear life...I have 3 Switchblade..quick release screens a small one which just diverts the wind over your head,a medium sized one..both great for summer/hot weather..and a large "two up" for colder climes.The VTX is also virtually vibration free ...no tingling/numb hands.. because of the crank set up as well as two primary-shaft-mounted counterbalancer weights to reduce the inevitable rocking couple vibration in a large V-twin engine.I believe the other downside to the V Rod...on some models..were the solid billet wheels,i was told by one owner...on this forum...when the wind caught them it would turn the h/bars violently,this happened to him once and he sold the bike immediately

What a fabulous bike..this is the one Harley I would go for.I bought my VTX 1800C (320Kg) from Huntson Harley at Chesterfield (3 yrs ago),it was the only non Harley in the showroom and had been part exchanged for a bright yellow ...very expensive..."V" Rod Screaming Eagle.I got in touch with the previous owner...a retired fireman...and he invited me over to Donny for a chat/cuppa..The V Rod was amazing in Yellow with lots of chrome extra's but he was not entirely happy with it and said he regreted selling the Honda,he had just returned from touring Europe on the Honda and the bike was equipped for it ..heated grips/lockable and removable luggage/screen/sissy bar and rack/driving/spot lights,driver backrest/crash bars etc etc.The Harley had none of these and only a small screen/sissy bar and rack could be purchased, plus, nowhere to fit his lockable/removable luggage because of the exhaust,and..it would spoil the looks of the bike entirely.On top of this he said the fuel tank was too small and was topping up every 70 mile or so....I can go 160 miles on the VTX without the fuel light showing...I saw one exactly the same,..year too... a few months later for sale at Lincoln Harley..was it his ???.Surprised you say it was not comfy tho',screen would have helped..cannot understand cruiser riders who say "they like the wind in their face/hair"..I tried the VTX once, without a screen,at speeds over 40mph I was holding on for dear life...I have 3 Switchblade..quick release screens a small one which just diverts the wind over your head,a medium sized one..both great for summer/hot weather..and a large "two up" for colder climes.The VTX is also virtually vibration free ...no tingling/numb hands.. because of the crank set up as well as two primary-shaft-mounted counterbalancer weights to reduce the inevitable rocking couple vibration in a large V-twin engine.I believe the other downside to the V Rod...on some models..were the solid billet wheels,i was told by one owner...on this forum...when the wind caught them it would turn the h/bars violently,this happened to him once and he sold the bike immediately

I never had a problem with the billet wheels (V-rod or Fat Boy) so far as wind was concerned, more to do with the amount of time cleaning them! :gag:

Although the 2002 V-rod is a very beautiful looking bike, mine was pretty useless for reasons you've pointed out. 70 miles was pretty much as far as you can get on a tank of petrol (under seat) without running the risk of running out. This is not a good idea, due to the fact that the fuel injection system needs re-pressurising if you do (so I was told). Having said that, 70 miles is about as far as you can get without having to get off to give your back time to pop back into place.

As you can see from the pic, mine was anodised aluminium, and I insisted on the small 2002 'Harley Davidson' lettering on the 'tank', rather than the massive, ugly '100th Anniversary' badge that they were bunging on the 2003 models … it spoiled the lines so far as I was concerned (same reason for me not getting a screen and panniers). When I say 'Harley started spoiling the V-rod', it was when they started painting them, rather than the sleek anodising, yellow being my least favourite colour.

The other problem with the V-rod is the amount and cost of 'extras' … I pretty much changing everything painted silver (clutch and brake master cylinders, footpegs, belt guard, mirrors etc for chrome. Plus all switches, rubbers, including handlebar grips. Then the 'Screaming Eagle' bits …

All in all, I'd say your VTX is a more practical bike. :)

All in all, I'd say your VTX is a more practical bike. :)

And cheaper.;);)..but what a beauty your bike is/was,i see one I want one,but...I like to take stuff with me on a run,...especially the sarnies/drinks/crisps etc etc my wife packs me up :hihi::hihi: and I always carry an electric tyre compressor (have fitted a power socket)..I have bolt on luggage for my own but removed it long ago..i bought a "Saddleman leather roll bag " from the states to fit on the rack,was a lot cheaper than buying over here.have everything but the kitchen sink in it :hihi::hihi:.

vtx002_zps15a2a29c.jpg

A friend had a Harley XLCH Sportster (or Cafe Racer, can't remember which) in the late 70's and would occasionally let me have a short ride on it - didn't 'alf punch its way up Southey Hill!