Outbid on house again!!

If you aren't paying the cost of the train or taxi then the cost is irrelevant. Some jobs you buy the ticket and claim it back on expenses, some jobs buy your ticket and send it on or you collect it at the station.

You have obviously never done any 'executive' management jobs, customer account management or rep jobs travelling where its normal to do 10-12 hour days on a regular basis. I quit one of mine when my employer expected me to be on the road for fourteen hours and said I took too long to drive to Birmingham (in rush hour) if it took me an hour and a half. :hihi:

If someone moves from London to Sheffield then they WILL be paying the cost of the commute.

Being based somewhere local and going to London for project work or meetings is entirely different to living in Sheffield and having a job that is based in London.

I think you're entirely missing the point. Some people work periodically in London but are not based there. These people aren't moving from London to Sheffield because they were never in London in the first place.

Spider is claiming that people will live in Sheffield who have a job in London, not a job that requires them to travel sometimes to London. He's predicting an influx of people moving from London.

I've explained why I made my point. The cost is still relevant - please don't be idiotic - it all comes out of an expenses pot that will eventually affect you (the person travelling), being profligate isn't something you should consider irrelevant.

I don't know why are you telling us about reserved seating arrangements. Who would give a toss? What point are you trying to prove?

Do you really expect a customer to arrange a meeting to start at a time to enable their supplier to use cheap, off peak rail travel? If so, I can see I'm wasting my time talking to you.

Seating arrangements - sometimes the reserved seat on a specified train means he has to pay again, that's the whole point. Why are you being so silly and argumentative?

I don't know why you are arguing over such fine detail, I have no point to prove. I was just stating that some people do travel more than the town they live in to go to work. I won't continue as this thread has been hijacked. :suspect:

I think you're entirely missing the point though, which is the ridiculous claim that quiz master spider has made.

People who actually work in London, as opposed to sometimes being required to go there, will not be moving to Sheffield and commuting 7 hrs a day to do their office based 9-5 job.

Guest sibon

Hasn't demand dropped considerably?

The most recent RICS price assessment I heard was that prices were likely to fall slightly.

Not necessarily. I've just moved out of S10.

The first sign of crazy demand was the bidding war from two of the biggest estate agents in the city. In the end, they had halved their commision fees to try to be "allowed the chance" to sell my house:) It was a nice house, but not that nice.

The house sold inside a week, for cash and above the asking price. We had seven offers, six of them cash from people moving up from London. The deal collapsed, so we put it back on the market and sold it for cash, within a week. Again, we had multiple cash offers.

Meanwhile, we were the only bidders on the house we bought in S17.

So, it is all down to area. S10 and 11 are crazy, mostly because of the University and Hospital. S6 and 7 are pretty popular, because they have lots of well priced, good quality property. My advice to the OP would be to find a nice house in a slightly less popular area.

As an aside, we didn't sell to the highest bidder, but to the people who we thought liked the house the most. We'd spent a lot of time making it what it was and we wanted the next occupiers to enjoy our work. Worth thinking about as you go to viewings. A little enthusiasm can go a long way.

Do you really expect a customer to arrange a meeting to start at a time to enable their supplier to use cheap, off peak rail travel? If so, I can see I'm wasting my time talking to you.

I've been doing it for 14 years... with a very, very big bank (you can guess).

People are reasonable... people in London often have to travel into London themselves so it's rare that a 09:00 meeting happens. People aim for 10:00 or 10:30 usually - they understand you're coming from Sheffield to see them, to talk to them, hopefully about helping them (for payment and profit, of course).

Maybe you don't understand what relationships are? It sounds, to me, like what you do is entirely transactional in nature.

On the way back it's very easy... you go out for a few jars (usually with the customer again, or, failing that - colleagues).

You are wasting your time talking to me when you spout such utter drivel. You think you know it all, but you don't... whereas I seem to.

Edited by Hippogriff

I think you're entirely missing the point though, which is the ridiculous claim that quiz master spider has made.

People who actually work in London, as opposed to sometimes being required to go there, will not be moving to Sheffield and commuting 7 hrs a day to do their office based 9-5 job.

I'm not missing the point. Its just that some people travel the same length of time but to different locations, its still the same long day and travel time. You were talking about travel time being too long and "a grind".

I don't know journey times from S6 but its not unusual for people to travel daily. The other trips my husband used to do were to meetings in Scotland. These ended up being overnight stays though. Some people do buy in Scotland and work in London, only returning home for weekends so its plausible they could do that in Sheffield.

The cost isn't relevant if your employer wants you 'there' and they are paying for your ticket. Sometimes he got a reserved seat which caused problems if the meeting went on and he missed that train.

I don't know why you are arguing over such fine detail, I have no point to prove. I was just stating that some people do travel more than the town they live in to go to work. I won't continue as this thread has been hijacked. :suspect:

Of course its relevant. My employer expects me to travel overseas for work, but at the same time is clear I should book tickets as soon as I know a future travel date so that I can keep their travel costs down. Employers don't have bottomless pits of money for travel expenses.

I'm not missing the point. Its just that some people travel the same length of time but to different locations, its still the same long day and travel time. You were talking about travel time being too long and "a grind".

I don't know journey times from S6 but its not unusual for people to travel daily. The other trips my husband used to do were to meetings in Scotland. These ended up being overnight stays though. Some people do buy in Scotland and work in London, only returning home for weekends so its plausible they could do that in Sheffield.

You're comparing a commute, which I talked about, to jobs that require travel. These are entirely different things. A commute is something which you do on a regular basis, probably everyday, to the same location. A commute is also something which you pay for yourself.

So yes, I stand by a 5 hr round trip (or 7 hrs from S6) being a grind. In fact, it's such a long commute that's ridiculous and I don't believe that 1 in 100,000 people would actually live in such a way.

Having a job that requires travel is ENTIRELY DIFFERENT.

And it's not just my opinion of course :D

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/feb/12/how-does-commuting-affect-wellbeing

The study analysed personal wellbeing using four measures: life-satisfaction, to what extent the respondent felt the things they did in life were worthwhile, whether the commuters were happy and whether they were anxious. A drop in the first three and a rise in anxiety indicates a negative effect on the person’s wellbeing.

It found that each additional minute of commuting time made you feel slightly worse up to a certain point. However, strangely, once a commute hit three hours then the negative effects dropped off.

But, the ONS are keen to highlight, there were several forms of commuting that were no worse for personal wellbeing on average than a short commute of up to 15 minutes, holding all else equal. These included:

Riding a motorbike, moped or scooter for up to 30 minutes (though beyond this point happiness was negatively affected)

Cycling for more than 30 minutes (cycling less than 30 minutes was associated with lower happiness and higher anxiety)

Travelling by taxi (regardless of journey time)

Taking the train, underground, light railway or tram for up to 30 minutes (beyond this, the sensethat activities are worthwhile was significantly lower and anxiety significantly higher).

Given the loss of personal wellbeing generally associated with commuting, the results suggest that other factors such as higher income or better housing may not fully compensate the individual commuter for the negative effects associated with travelling to work and that people may be making sub-optimal choices.

---------- Post added 11-08-2016 at 10:55 ----------

Do you think that spider is right then? Are you holding onto your hat waiting for the influx of Londoners who will all then rent rooms in London to stay during the week... Thus actually increasing their living costs (the point was to save money, not spend more)...

It's either a 5 - 7 hr commute to save money on a house, or double the expense by renting a room in London AS WELL as owning a house in Sheffield.

Who are these idiots from London that are wanting to do this? They don't exist.

---------- Post added 11-08-2016 at 10:56 ----------

Not necessarily. I've just moved out of S10.

The first sign of crazy demand was the bidding war from two of the biggest estate agents in the city. In the end, they had halved their commision fees to try to be "allowed the chance" to sell my house:) It was a nice house, but not that nice.

The house sold inside a week, for cash and above the asking price. We had seven offers, six of them cash from people moving up from London. The deal collapsed, so we put it back on the market and sold it for cash, within a week. Again, we had multiple cash offers.

Meanwhile, we were the only bidders on the house we bought in S17.

So, it is all down to area. S10 and 11 are crazy, mostly because of the University and Hospital. S6 and 7 are pretty popular, because they have lots of well priced, good quality property. My advice to the OP would be to find a nice house in a slightly less popular area.

As an aside, we didn't sell to the highest bidder, but to the people who we thought liked the house the most. We'd spent a lot of time making it what it was and we wanted the next occupiers to enjoy our work. Worth thinking about as you go to viewings. A little enthusiasm can go a long way.

This was post brexit vote?

As usual this thread has gone off topic and descended into the posters attacking each other.

How about we bring it back to the subject in hand. If the BREXIT remainders and doomsayers are right the housing marked is going to cool down significantly over then next few months and years. Personally I think that people significantly outbidding each other and unorthodox EA practices such as sealed bids in already economically depressed areas such as Sheffield is frankly ridiculous and should not be entertained. BREXIT will obviously damage Sheffield's economy in the medium term so prices should stabilise but the employment situation and wages will also be negatively affected.

Guest makapaka

I think others may have said the same but my advice would be to work out the most you want to pay - offer it - and say that's the most you'll go to and want acceptance that day or you'll look elsewhere. Give reasons for the basis of your offer also.

If they say no move on.

It may be that you offer more or less than its on for but as long as your satisfied you've offered what it's worth there's less disappointment if you miss out.

I bought our house recently and it was "offers around" with a £10k range. I liked it but thought even the lower end was high for various reasons. I called the same day and made an offer and explained why (certain fundamentals needed doing ASAP). I just said let me know latest tomorrow and fortunately was accepted. If they'd said no I would have been disappointed but not for long if you know what I mean.

Hi all

Looking for some advice, we are a couple in our 30's, first time buyers looking to buy in the S6 area since Feb with no success!!!

First house in Walkley was on at 220, we bid and went to sealed with us and 3 other couples, we bid 230k and lost it which was fair enough!

Just lost another on today in Wadsley, on @ 240, initial bid we went in at 225, asked our position, first time buyers, no chain and had approval in principle etc, Ea said she would put in to vendor but we were highest offer at that point would speak to vendor but came back 25 mins later and said we had lost it, I asked why we weren't in a position to offer counter bid or do sealed bids and she said vendor wasn't interested.

I feel like we are banging our heads against a brick wall, we r in a good position with a budget of 250 and keep losing out.

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks

Maybe I`m being simplistic here, and assuming people are as honest as I am (if that doesn`t sound pretentious....). But when we sold our house the very first viewer offered us the full asking price if we took it off the market. I accepted and that, as far as I was concerned was that. Therefore it had nothing to do with the estate agent, they had sod all to do after that, in fact not much to do at all, but still charged us over £2K ! Remember, these days it`s Rightmove which sells 90% of houses, so just use the cheapest EA you can find to get it on there, so that was a waste of nearly £1500..... Oh well, we live and learn.

As the sale went through I didn`t agree to anything which effectively put the price down (like indemnity insurances and gas safety surveys), but on the other hand I didn`t, and wouldn`t, have entertained any other higher offer. Basically our buyers had sold a house abroad and so were effectively first time buyers, no chain, so I was reasonably happy to forgo the chance we might get more, for less stress. Even with the benefit of hindsight I feel we made the right decision. Hopefully our buyers think the same !

So, basically, if you also make the offer straight to the sellers that cuts out the EA.

Edited by Justin Smith