Outbid on house again!!

I'm hopefully NEVER moving again after living in three houses in as many years so I won't feel the brunt. :hihi:

However back to the original post, when I was looking for my first house in 2005 it was horrendous for closed bidding and getting outbid. I remember a house that needed completely gutting and a new roof with an asking price of £50,000 eventually selling for around £120,000. It was silly!

I'm hopefully NEVER moving again after living in three houses in as many years so I won't feel the brunt. :hihi:

However back to the original post, when I was looking for my first house in 2005 it was horrendous for closed bidding and getting outbid. I remember a house that needed completely gutting and a new roof with an asking price of £50,000 eventually selling for around £120,000. It was silly!

Hope for the house I'm thinking of selling then :D:D

Thanks everyone for the replies, I have spoken to my partner and he says not to put a note in the door, we have lost another one and just need to move on.

Just to note though that those that said we were playing a game, I disagree, this is the only house that we have not offered full asking price for, we aren't serial under bidders, but just want to get a nice house in a good area without being ripped off.

Anyways thanks again for all the advice and it's back to the grindstone for us again :help:

Is he worried that a note could cause something bad to happen?

Keep your chin up Evie34! My OH and I bid on a few houses last year and lost out on them. We finally had a bid accepted and moved in December, and I wouldn't have it any other way. When I think about the house we have now, and the houses we bid on- I am so glad we didn't get those first few!

What we did for this one:

Put in a weird offer number- won't tell you the exact price but say the house was on for £180k, we put in £185,180.00. Made the EA laugh and I think I got some points for that.

I laid my cards on the table a number of times to the EA and agreed to meet with their FA. She was actually excellent, but I think that also gives you points.

We went to see the house a few times, chatted with the then-owner. It was her family home, and I think she was looking to sell it onto people who would cherish it as she had- never hurts to say yes and nod in all the right places.

It's easy for me to say now as those were the most stressful months of my life- we had a buyer for my flat lined up and she was pushing us to move- but looking back, it all worked out wonderfully!

So- good luck! Maybe have that note ready for your next offer? Your dream home will happen :)

Thanks Cyclone, I think he feels it's done now and he feels like we wouldn't have luck if we got it in that way.

Thank you Kel83, really good advice, we have tried that and have written a personal letter on one occasion but that didn't work either. Fingers crossed it may with next vendor. Hopefully we will be lucky like you too were ?

You should tell your wife that she has no sense of humour.

I'll tell mine that you think she can't ride a bike, she probably won't care what you think though. Just warning you so that you don't get upset.

Do the little cyclones ride bikes :hihi:

Just to note though that those that said we were playing a game, I disagree, this is the only house that we have not offered full asking price for, we aren't serial under bidders, but just want to get a nice house in a good area without being ripped off.

It's not the serial aspect the vendor would be worried about. The vendor put it on at £240,000, you bid £225,000. However, you have a budget of £250,000. If the other person offered the asking price to get the deal done, the vendor has no reason to come back and give you a second chance. Next time you may be also in the mood to just offer the asking price and get it sorted. I hope you do.

£225,000 on a £240,000 asking price is around 10% (at least emotionally). That's quite a %age if someone thinks the house is priced fairly and the market is competitive. I think the risk is that you didn't come over as serious. There's no point wringing your hands about it, but I've bought a lot of houses and the times when low-ball offers will work are pretty well understood... slow market, strange property with issues, motivated / distressed seller... cash buyer?

The sealed bids thing is a nightmare I think. Worry is you'll get distracted by how much you like the place and end up overpaying

The sealed bids thing is a nightmare I think. Worry is you'll get distracted by how much you like the place and end up overpaying

When I was looking I decided before making an offer what my maximum was and determined to stick to it. I think you are less likely to get carried away that way, and therefore stop when you hit the limit.

When I was looking I decided before making an offer what my maximum was and determined to stick to it. I think you are less likely to get carried away that way, and therefore stop when you hit the limit.

Yea I think that's very sensible. Easy to get carried away otherwise. It seems around Spring/Summer housing in Sheffield gets very competitive.

Do the little cyclones ride bikes :hihi:

You're not very good at being funny, don't give up the day job.