Where to live in Sheffield? Young family moving from overseas

The data used is definitely not useless and includes extremely detailed stats relating to crime, levels of education, type and level of employment at a very small-scale level: each section consists of only a few streets.

That said, this website is using the 2010 data which is quite out of date. A more up to date assessment was released earlier this year using the 2015 data and can be found here:

http://dclgapps.communities.gov.uk/imd/idmap.html

I've not seen that site before, thanks. It's nice to see some official stats back up your own viewpoint of the area you live in; in my case I seem to be in the first or second spot from being the most desirable target in each category. I guess living in dullsville has it's advantages.

I've not seen that site before, thanks. It's nice to see some official stats back up your own viewpoint of the area you live in; in my case I seem to be in the first or second spot from being the most desirable target in each category. I guess living in dullsville has it's advantages.

It basically confirms what many people say on threads such as these: the areas of Sheffield with the lowest levels of crime, highest levels of employment/education etc. are focused in the south west (in a continuous sweep from Meersbrook through to Crookes, forming an area almost exclusively in the top 30% of the country in terms of deprivation) with some isolated areas dotted around the city elsewhere. It annoys many people who post on here though, as they don't live in that quadrant and their sense of pride is offended, which I understand.

Cyclone, when you say my facts/opinions are biased can you explain to me what advantage this would be to myself, I am not looking to sell my house or win a prize I am just giving you the FACTS not baseless statistics as provided by yourself.

Also today someone pointed out to me that you had commented on another thread regarding the area of Sheffield you live in

You call your area a pretty pleasant place to live. Yet if you look on the site that you keep referring to you will see that your area has a higher level of crime than the area of Brinsworth that I live in. Yet you chose to write on this thread that my area is rough and has a high level of violent crime.

How do you justify your inconsistency?

Perhaps you should be looking for somewhere safer to live!

And always remember the saying, People in glass houses!

Rough, well, I don't want to start a fight, which is what happens on SF when you criticise an area.

It's like I could see the future...

And now I'm wasting my time arguing with someone who is insisting that the real facts aren't correct, but the opinion they are sharing is.

---------- Post added 23-08-2016 at 07:34 ----------

You call your area a pretty pleasant place to live. Yet if you look on the site that you keep referring to you will see that your area has a higher level of crime than the area of Brinsworth that I live in. Yet you chose to write on this thread that my area is rough and has a high level of violent crime.

How do you justify your inconsistency?

Perhaps you should be looking for somewhere safer to live!

And always remember the saying, People in glass houses!

I've provided the same link on the thread about the area I live in.

I'm also fairly sure that you're wrong about the crime statistics.

And finally, I've given an opinion on that thread, I'm not arguing that it's a fact just because that's how I perceive it.

---------- Post added 23-08-2016 at 07:37 ----------

http://illustreets.co.uk/explore-england/brinsworth/

The standard of living (according to government measures) is low in much of Brinsworth, whilst the recorded incidents of violent crime are high.

You'll note that I commented on standard of living, you're the one who's seized specifically on crime.

Cyclone I am not arguing either. As you can see I have never commented on a thread on this forum before and probably will never do again. But it was obvious from the start that you were commenting on a subject you know nothing about and could have been putting Umar off living in a perfectly nice area where his family could have a good standard of living and where he could commute to work in a very short space of time.

If you had read Umars earlier post you would have seen the area of Brinsworth he was considering and that he already knew it had a low level of crime but you still insisted on quoting your opinions.

You are a social antagonists, you don't care that when you poke your nose into subjects you know nothing about you could be causing more home than good.

Umar asked what an area was like and I provided him with that information. If he had been asking about an area where I clearly had never lived or probably never been to, I would have kept my nose out.

Perhaps you should do the same and you didn't answer the question, how come where you live with its higher crime rate is a perfectly pleasant place to live and my area with its much lower crime rate is rough?And to say I am wrong about the crime statistic, they are the statistics that you quoted in the beginning of this thread!

Cyclone I am not arguing either. As you can see I have never commented on a thread on this forum before and probably will never do again. But it was obvious from the start that you were commenting on a subject you know nothing about and could have been putting Umar off living in a perfectly nice area where his family could have a good standard of living and where he could commute to work in a very short space of time.

If you had read Umars earlier post you would have seen the area of Brinsworth he was considering and that he already knew it had a low level of crime but you still insisted on quoting your opinions.

You are a social antagonists, you don't care that when you poke your nose into subjects you know nothing about you could be causing more home than good.

Umar asked what an area was like and I provided him with that information. If he had been asking about an area where I clearly had never lived or probably never been to, I would have kept my nose out.

Perhaps you should do the same and you didn't answer the question, how come where you live with its higher crime rate is a perfectly pleasant place to live and my area with its much lower crime rate is rough?And to say I am wrong about the crime statistic, they are the statistics that you quoted in the beginning of this thread!

:hihi:

Please don't be put off from posting more on here...

... it's like a breath of fresh air has hit the forum! ;)

:huh:

Well...

... obviously not if the wind's blowing from the direction of Blackburn Meadows. :gag:

Rough, well, I don't want to start a fight, which is what happens on SF when you criticise an area.

But

The standard of living (according to government measures) is low in much of Brinsworth, whilst the recorded incidents of violent crime are high.

You make it sound much worse than it is. Brinsworth is fine and property reasonably priced.

I specifically provided evidence so as not to be simply posting an opinion.

You on the other hand are providing only an opinion and keep repeating that the evidence is wrong.

On the contrary, I'd like the OP to get a genuine, data backed, view of the areas he's considering.

Umar asked what an area was like and I provided him with that information.

You provided an opinion about it, I provided information.

If he had been asking about an area where I clearly had never lived or probably never been to, I would have kept my nose out.

I checked the crime rates and noted that you were wrong. And I'm also not going to respond as you hope by telling you about why my opinion is more valid than the evidence.

Not that crime rates were the important part of the data.

Feel free to actually provide a link to the statistics you think show what you claim.

You're clearly upset that Brinsworth isn't the nicest area and want to defend it because you live there and you're invested in the area. And that's why it's difficult to be objective about any given area on the forum, because there's always someone who lives there and will swear that black is white in order to defend it.

You could say in a thread that Parsons Cross and the Manor are a bit rough, and someone would pop up to claim that they aren't...

---------- Post added 23-08-2016 at 09:01 ----------

http://illustreets.co.uk/explore-england/vainor-road-sheffield/crime/

I'm really not sure how you get that the sea of orange surrounding a bit of green (Brinsworth) is somehow lower crime than the large area of dark green (close to where I live).

Not that this is a competition, I'm not recommending that the OP live near me.

---------- Post added 23-08-2016 at 09:18 ----------

Rainstorth and Scholes are close to meadowhall, but a nice bright green on the map.

---------- Post added 23-08-2016 at 09:21 ----------

Somewhere like this perhaps

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-55588804.html?backListLink=%2Fproperty-to-rent%2Fmap.html%3FminBedrooms%3D2%26propertyTypes%3Dsemi-detached%252Cdetached%26maxBedrooms%3D4%26sortType%3D6%26minPrice%3D500%26viewType%3DLIST%26channel%3DRENT%26index%3D0%26maxPrice%3D700%26radius%3D1.0%26numberOfPropertiesPerPage%3D24%26locationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E90655%23locationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E21624%26minPrice%3D500%26maxPrice%3D700%26minBedrooms%3D2%26maxBedrooms%3D4%26radius%3D1.0%26box%3D-1.44998%2C-1.38205%2C53.43007%2C53.47222%26popupPropertyId%3D55588804&fromMap=true

Whatever you say Cyclone, you have obviously never been to Brinsworth or you would know that the large areas surrounding Brinsworth

shaded orange are not the village of Brinsworth are not residential areas. They are large areas of Factories woodland and a large golf course and also Canklow which is nothing to do with Brinsworth as you say Winn gardens is nothing to do with where you live.

I and many others do not comment on this site purely because of people like yourself who have hijacked Sheffield forum and turned it into a place where anyone putting across an opinion that you don't agree with is shot down in flames. Even if you agree with something someone with your personality traits will contradict and and belittle a person just to boost your own ego.

People can judge for themselves, I personally would not live in a built up area like your own where parking is a nightmare and people have no space between their houses. But you obviously like it and me I will stick to my lovely tree lined street, in my low crime area and enjoy my lovely quality of life.

Just off to sit in my lovely garden now and enjoy the peace and quiet. And before you say it the motorway is nowhere near my house so I can't hear constant traffic, which is probably something you have to suffer everyday in you built up heavy traffic area.

Plus I have also checked the crime rate again and have found again that it is you that is wrong but you could never admit that could you!

Remember just because you have a right to comment doesn't mean that you should. It doesn't make you come across as intelligent just sad.