Where to live in Sheffield? Young family moving from overseas

WestTinsley, that's precisely the problem :)

Before posting here I had Hillsborough and Walkley at the top of my list. Good to know I was looking at the right places. And now a new Costa!! :D

I'll also add Meersbrook and Nether Edge to my list.

In areas a bit farther, I may be able to get a more spacious place (2 floors instead of 3 for example) in the same budget. A quick search in Whiston showed the same. I'll also check out Chapeltown and Mosborough/Waterthorpe. I guess the other places mentioned may be a bit too far. But I guess I can only really know once I'm there.

• 3 weeks later...
Of the areas I listed, I would choose Woodseats last personally (just my opinion) as it seems a little rough around the edges. Nether Edge is central, has some wonderful houses but also has its share of problems (gang-related) on some of its roads. Meersbrook is very safe and pleasant and borders both (it would be my choice of those three). I would imagine Walkley would be most convenient for travel to S9 though as it's to the north of the city.

For a family Woodseats is so much better than Nether Edge. NE does have gang problems whereas Woodseats does not, nor does it have 2 parks which are both family friendly. Woodseats has comparible houses, Newlyn Road & chantry road has some lovely, Georgian & Victorian properties, Woodseats does not have " boy racers" who think they are at silver stone race circuit late at night. Having the police station in Woodseats means crime is much, much less than Nether Edge.

Meersbrook is also a very nice mixture of family friendly areas, parks, heeley city farm etc. only problem with the south side is no supertram which especially for you, would be great.

Brinsworth is a lovely area to live in. We have lived here for 19 years and have never seen any trouble. The streets are clean the people are decent and hardworking and all 4 schools are lovely.

We are run by a parish council who make sure the area is always at its best. They employ their own street cleaners who can be seen all week working very hard to make Brinsworth a lovely place to live. We have a good mix of shops and are close to 2 major supermarkets. Meadowhall is only 10 minutes down the road and Parkgate shopping centre 10 minutes in the opposite direction.

Please don't be put off by comments from people who have probably never been here. Come and see for yourself what a welcoming and decent area Brinsworth is.

Data on these sites is gathered by postcode and S60 covers many areas not just Brinsworth. I live here and can speak facts rather than gathered statistics.

Brinsworth is full of hardworking people who keep there houses well maintained and like living in this decent area. To say the standard of living here is low is ridiculous. Nearly all houses are privately owned, we go to work and have decent lifestyles like any other area. My closest neighbours include a magistrate a teacher and a nurse. We all drive nice cars have nice holidays and enjoy the rewards of our hard work.

The local schools like Whitehill are small and enjoy a close relationship with pupils and parents and produce well mannered children who take pride in their school.

I can't say there is never anything wrong happens here but I can say it is not full of violent behaviour or full of constant crime.

I walk my dog day and night and have never felt unsafe or threatened. My children play out and I don't worry they are going to be threatened by gangs.

Please ignore data and look on the Brinsworth village website and see for yourself all the good things Brinsworth can offer a young family.