Wasp nest in council property

Why would you expect that the council are responsible for removing a wasp nest?

Cant believe so many people think the council should pay. I must remember if i ever have a issue that i must contact my mortgage company and expect them to pay

Cant believe so many people think the council should pay. I must remember if i ever have a issue that i must contact my mortgage company and expect them to pay

Its considered your house, you have to maintain it, so of course not.

As for council houses though, its THEIR house, they should maintain it properly.

Why would you expect that the council are responsible for removing a wasp nest?

We have had wasps/bees many times and its always been down to poor maintenance by the council. That being the case, surely they should be held responsible?

We have carpenter bees in the flat roof, because its rotten. We have been reporting its condition for years. They replaced bits and pieces which then go rotten again because they do not bother to properly paint the replaced bits. Plus there are bits they do not consider bad enough but are touching replaced parts, encouraging yet more rot.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Its considered your house, you have to maintain it, so of course not.

As for council houses though, its THEIR house, they should maintain it properly.

Legally speaking you don't own the house until you have paid for it.

But I do agree with the OP. The council should pay to remove the nest, it stinks that they haven't. The OP already gets a lot of money from the state and she should get even more. Anything that needs doing should be provided for free, she is entitled to it and anyone who disagrees is probably just a Tory.

How do you know the op gets any money from the state?

Even if it was relevant, which it isn't, the council are legally obliged to keep their properties up to a certain standard.

Removing a wasps nest can save them lots of money in the long term, wasps love eating the wood in the loft.

Edited by beansforyou

Legally speaking you don't own the house until you have paid for it.

But I do agree with the OP. The council should pay to remove the nest, it stinks that they haven't. The OP already gets a lot of money from the state and she should get even more. Anything that needs doing should be provided for free, she is entitled to it and anyone who disagrees is probably just a Tory.

Why shouldn't the OP enquire as to whether she's entitled to have the wasp nest removed courtesy of the state? David Cameron charged the taxpayer £700 to have wisteria removed from his property. And his wasn't a council property.

Had to pay 55 pounds for the removal of wasp nest under the gutter in my council bungalow.Surely it must be the councils responsibility after all it is their property of which I rent.

why pay all that when a tin of WD 40 works wonders stick nossel in spray. spray in the hole . bobs your uncle quid from pound land:thumbsup: and dont smoke while doing it

Edited by backwardben
add

Why shouldn't the OP enquire as to whether she's entitled to have the wasp nest removed courtesy of the state? David Cameron charged the taxpayer £700 to have wisteria removed from his property. And his wasn't a council property.

We are agreeing in this one Mr. B.

She should have it removed for free.

Should the council cut your grass?

Actually my mum does get an annual grass/hedge cutting service from the council due to being disabled.

She is diabetic and has a metric ton of allergies, so I don't think its unreasonable to want the bees removing from the flat roof - where they are eating away at the wood so actually damaging the house.

This is where the council often fall down. They complain that tenants do not respect the property, but we respect it a damn site more than they do. Every repair is half-assed.

Actually my mum does get an annual grass/hedge cutting service from the council due to being disabled.

She is diabetic and has a metric ton of allergies, so I don't think its unreasonable to want the bees removing from the flat roof - where they are eating away at the wood so actually damaging the house.

This is where the council often fall down. They complain that tenants do not respect the property, but we respect it a damn site more than they do. Every repair is half-assed.

Well said Alexatkin. Personally I don't think the lady should paid £55 ..as for some post sarcasm is all they know

---------- Post added 18-07-2016 at 20:56 ----------

Not really.

You had the option of leaving the poor old wasps alone.

How can the lady sit in house surrounded by wasp ? No one can ..leave them alone...to be stung in and outside the bungalow carnt open windows in this weather. I don't think the lady had choice

Edited by Ub40

If the nest is under the gutter...........

Keep windows closed and wait a few weeks and they will be gone.

The same goes for bees - they won't hurt you and if you suffer from allergies the worst thing that can happen is the spraying of the nest with chemicals to kill the insects. They will go away and then is the time to get the empty nest removed and any repairs done to stop others coming back next year.

Read the above.

What is this obsession with having the wasps killed and the nest removed ?

If your Mum has multiple allergies the poison they puff into the live nest will cause her even more problems - although not sure what diabetes has to do with the price of fish ! She is very fortunate to get her gardening done by the council as well .....

Be patient - wait a few weeks and the wasps will be gone.

I had no idea that council tenants could get free gardening ..............:o

Edited by Daven