Help I've got mice!!

Wondering if anyone can help me.

I rent my house privately and over the last few months I've been getting mice, they started off under sink in cupboard so we put traps down and caught a few.

We filled in any holes we could see and thought we had solved the problem but in the last week another 2 have found there way in and I'm not sure where they coming from.

I have contacted my landlord who is not willing to do anything to help us but I just don't know how to get rid of these bloody things without going to a pest control and it costing me a fortune. Any help/advice much appriaciate

I rent my house privately and over the last few months I've been getting mice, they started off under sink in cupboard so we put traps down and caught a few.

We filled in any holes we could see and thought we had solved the problem but in the last week another 2 have found there way in and I'm not sure where they coming from.

I have contacted my landlord who is not willing to do anything to help us but I just don't know how to get rid of these bloody things without going to a pest control and it costing me a fortune. Any help/advice much appriaciate

Look under kick boards in kitchen. They could be family hiding in there. If you remove the kick board see if you can see any holes that goes to the outside they need sealing up asap..go outside around the property see if there's small hole as they could get in that way

Mice can enter through pretty much the tiniest holes from the outside. A lot smaller than you might think.

I found this quote, and I was quite surprised.

1. A mouse can fit through a hole the diameter of a biro

TRUE: During the warmer months, common house mice are content to live outdoors, munching on cereal grains and seeds. But at the first sign of a cold snap they'll scamper towards the comforts of the nearest human dwelling and find their way in. Once there, they will nibble at (but not necessarily consume) practically anything they can get their tiny teeth on, including lead, rubber, plastic and even some forms of concrete. This is because they have to gnaw all the time to keep their ever-growing incisors trimmed to the right length.

It's this gnawing, along with a relatively soft skull and an already slender, flexible body, that allows the mouse to get through improbably small holes. Any openings in your home that are wider than 6mm (a quarter of an inch) and you're in trouble: through a combination of squeezing and nibbling, the mice could well be moving in. And remember, too, that the resourceful mouse can also jump 46cm (18in) vertically, swim, happily travel upside down and scuttle up pretty much anything.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-404395/Separating-pub-fact-pub-fiction.html

Even in a house with 5 cats we have had problems with mice living under the kitchen units,cooker,fridge etc

The cats were catching and despatching as fast as they could but the mice were outpacing them.

all gone now though

Yh we are going to take all kick boards off this weekend to see if any under there.

If there is a family of them will one of them come out at a time cos that's what they seem to be doing, and with gaps of a couple of weeks in between.

I've got a dog so I thought she might have been going crazy but she hasn't, one casually walked along lounge and under my sofa other night and the dog never budged :o.

It makes my skin crawl to think there's a family in my house. Thanks for your replies appriaciate it x

---------- Post added 12-07-2016 at 11:33 ----------

Even in a house with 5 cats we have had problems with mice living under the kitchen units,cooker,fridge etc

The cats were catching and despatching as fast as they could but the mice were outpacing them.

all gone now though

What other method did you use other than your cats plz..I keep putting poison and traps down

Eventually the cats got the better of them

our neighbours welcome our cats into their homes to catch any pesky critters

What are you putting in the traps as bait?

Mice are very fond of Mars bars and Snickers so chop up a few and use that.

What are you putting in the traps as bait?

Mice are very fond of Mars bars and Snickers so chop up a few and use that.

Anything that sticks to the trap and cannot be pulled off is good. Gooey mars bars are great as you say have a lot of success with them for mice and rats, a dab of peanut butter as well also works really good.

I wouldn't poison them if I were you, because they die under the floorboards and smell forever! (even after removing the corpse).

Traps & Cats are the best way

Remove all food sources otherwise you will just keep attracting mice.

Get plastic containers for cereals flour etc.

Use the opportunity to give cupboards a thorough clean.

Live traps are really good as I found the spring ones had bait taken without the mice setting them off.

I've been putting snickers on traps, so far we found 6 but we going to take kick boards off and see exactly what's underneath.

Just need to find how they are getting in then maybe we can solve the problem.

Thanks everyone for your replies

---------- Post added 12-07-2016 at 19:12 ----------

I will definitely try one of these thanks