Outer ring road from Grenoside to Dore

As far back as 1969 I noted that lights in the Duluth area by Lake Superior went to flashing amber at night. That may still be the norm in many other parts of the world. It might save a lot of unnecessary stop time when lights control negligible traffic for large parts of the day.

The traffic lights on Nether Edge crossroads used to (may well still) be red both ways in the late evening and early hours of the morning. Presumably to stop people rushing through when all is quiet. They stayed red long enough to force you to slow, then assuming all was clear, sensors would see you coming, and once close enough turn to green for you. Clever, obviously stopped boy racers killing each other, but probably expensive to use sensors like that all over the city.

The traffic lights on Nether Edge crossroads used to (may well still) be red both ways in the late evening and early hours of the morning. Presumably to stop people rushing through when all is quiet. They stayed red long enough to force you to slow, then assuming all was clear, sensors would see you coming, and once close enough turn to green for you. Clever, obviously stopped boy racers killing each other, but probably expensive to use sensors like that all over the city.

I think the lights at Ladybower reservoir probably do the same.

---------- Post added 02-07-2016 at 08:40 ----------

An interesting proposal. I don't recall ever seeing that before. A pity it's not on a more detailed map, but I suppose it was only ever to this detail, as a general idea.

Edited by Eater Sundae

An interesting proposal. I don't recall ever seeing that before. A pity it's not on a more detailed map, but I suppose it was only ever to this detail, as a general idea.

Ok, 2.4M version here

For anyone who still thinks that a complete outer ring road would be a good idea. There are plenty of other cities you could move to which have them. Sheffield has such character with its narrow streets and hilly terrain it would be an expensive mistake to try and do that now.

Further notes which I have observed for some time about the evidence of unbuilt roads around the Sheffield outer ring road include the layout of Greenhill Avenue and Greenhill Parkway.

Parkway suggests an expressway. But the road is just a single carriageway A road. However if you care to look at it from above using google earth;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3232562,-1.4903137,453m/data=!3m1!1e3

You can see it was laid out as a fast dual carriageway. They only built the (West - East) lane with the southern (East -West) lane remaining grass.

I travel on this road every week and the roundabout is slightly awkward as it is aligned for the complete scheme not the one that's built.

Continuing West it occurs to me that the parkway was aligned to meet Baslow Road, presumably with some viaduct involved.

Meanwhile we know from the maps that Greenhill Avenue was also designed to be outer ring road, however I've walked this road many times and a dual carriageway would have been extremely tight.

However from above there is enough room (just).

The most interesting feature about this section is the two unexpected green spaces. The Greenway and the Bocking Lane / Greenhill Ave junctions were clear for a reason and I think this could be for junctions on to the ring road.

It must have taken a lot of hard work for the council to pogramme those lights to be on red every time a drive approaches a set.

Why are u constantly slating the council on here? You live in Barnsley area..

Edited by WestTinsley

For anyone who still thinks that a complete outer ring road would be a good idea. There are plenty of other cities you could move to which have them. Sheffield has such character with its narrow streets and hilly terrain it would be an expensive mistake to try and do that now.

Further notes which I have observed for some time about the evidence of unbuilt roads around the Sheffield outer ring road include the layout of Greenhill Avenue and Greenhill Parkway.

Parkway suggests an expressway. But the road is just a single carriageway A road. However if you care to look at it from above using google earth;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3232562,-1.4903137,453m/data=!3m1!1e3

You can see it was laid out as a fast dual carriageway. They only built the (West - East) lane with the southern (East -West) lane remaining grass.

I travel on this road every week and the roundabout is slightly awkward as it is aligned for the complete scheme not the one that's built.

Continuing West it occurs to me that the parkway was aligned to meet Baslow Road, presumably with some viaduct involved.

Meanwhile we know from the maps that Greenhill Avenue was also designed to be outer ring road, however I've walked this road many times and a dual carriageway would have been extremely tight.

However from above there is enough room (just).

The most interesting feature about this section is the two unexpected green spaces. The Greenway and the Bocking Lane / Greenhill Ave junctions were clear for a reason and I think this could be for junctions on to the ring road.

I had a better copy of this map but you can see that in the late 1940s there was an intention to join Abbey Lane with Meadowhead, via Bocking Lane and Greenhill Avenue, see; http://mdfs.net/maps/Sheffield/RingRoad/Outer/RouteS.gif

Greenhill Parkway seems to have been aimed at taking traffic along to Bradway Road and then Bradway Grange Road, thus avoiding Tinkers corner. Where it goes next is a field in Derbyshire. I suspect Derbyshire had no enthusiasm for all the traffic being aimed at a road they were being encouraged/bullied to construct towards Owler Bar through or round Dronfield Woodhouse and Holmesfield! If it had been built you can imagine it would have taken a lot of Peak District bound traffic away from Abbeydale Road South and Ecclesall Road South.

Well Spotted, I have never noticed the Bradway Grange Layout before. That is very revealing. Looks like they were suggesting a bypass across the fields to spare the housing.

Ok, 2.4M version here

That's great. Thanks. Sorry for the late response. I missed it when first posted, and have only seen it since the thread has been bumped.