Would you train up the person who is making you redundant?

Isn't it bankers that are losing their jobs?

Not really. Unless you think that cashiers, IT business analysis, developers, project managers, testers, ops and so on are all "bankers" simply because they work for a bank.

The worrying thing is hacking banks and big IT systems over there is starting to become quite the 'thing'.

It's not just because it's all abit slap-dash, but because the employers don't (have to) pay all that much in wages it's not hard to tempt someone with a bribe.

Fairly soon you'll see sys admins/ops/whatever being slipped a couple of bitcoin to hand over login details, no questions asked.

Isn't it bankers that are losing their jobs?

No ! These people are I.T. personnel. There is a huge difference between them and the people who gamble with other peoples money and get huge bonuses.

Wake up drink your coffee and read the posts and newspapers.

HSBC have some nerve asking them to train their replacements. Training may not even be part of their job remit. This is not real redundancy as the jobs are being moved abroad to take advantage of cheaper labour.

I've just done that.

I trained the 3 people who would be splitting my job between them.

To be fair, I could have kept my job if I was willing to move to Denmark or Chicago, but........ Good golly, I'm stupid. Why didn't I move to Denmark or Chicago.

*moonscape self*

I would have moved to Denmark in a heartbeat if the money was right. One of the best lifestyles in Europe. If a little pricey.

I would have moved to Denmark in a heartbeat if the money was right. One of the best lifestyles in Europe. If a little pricey.

My partner would never have moved there.

That's exactly what I had to do in my old job, for months and months I was writing documents explaining how to do my job for guys in India (alarm bells started ringing).

I decided to go to collage at this time to learn and qualify as an electrician, it took me a few years and hard work but I got there and I'm now working as an electrician. The other guy who I worked with too had to write up documents like me, then he was made redundant a year after I left.

All I can say is I wished I done it earlier :)

600 IT jobs are going from Sheffield, (and a further 200 in Leeds) and moving abroad. The irony is, those who are going to lose their jobs will have to train up the people who are going to take over their jobs.

Would you refuse to do it?

No, because it might lead to disciplinary action.

However I would only tell them exactly what I was told to, I would not see why they should be party to any expert knowledge I have that they fail to ask about that might make it easier to do their job.

If you're being made redundant anyway then disciplinary action is almost pointless, chances are you will be told what your redundancy package is going to be, at which point you decide if it's worth sticking it out till the end and taking what they offer or if it's better spending all your time job searching and ignoring your boss.