The Botanist - Coming soon

Will people use these Hipster theme park bars with their not so cool prices?

Deleted post

Edited by Mister F

Guest makapaka
I should really stop agreeing with you cos people will talk! But at the moment I can't. Youre spot on again here. Sadly.

Just a sweeping generalisation of c. 550k people.

Just a sweeping generalisation of c. 550k people.

Which also happened to be true for the most part. Take a look at the difference between Leeds and Sheffield and come back with a more informed view.

Guest makapaka
Which also happened to be true for the most part. Take a look at the difference between Leeds and Sheffield and come back with a more informed view.

An informed view on what exactly? What is your informed argument?

Is it that Sheffield lags behind Leeds because no one values quality? Backed up by the owner of a failed restaurant in Sheffield and assuming an ingrained attitude across half a million people? Doesn't seem very informed to me.

Lola-Lo was the old Varsity opposite Cavendish, that is now opening as Bar and Beyond in the next few weeks.

Already open, I went in on Friday. Horrible place, epitomises everything I despise about modern bars. Neon everywhere, crap music played too loud, crap beer, and cocktails served in empty baked bean tins.

Already open, I went in on Friday. Horrible place, epitomises everything I despise about modern bars. Neon everywhere, crap music played too loud, crap beer, and cocktails served in empty baked bean tins.

Shouldn't last too long then.

Guest makapaka

Horrible place?

Presumably because you personally didn't like the music and beer or the cocktails?

you shouldn't go back. Maybe other people would like it.

Shouldn't last too long then.

Oh it might. The branches in Leeds and Manchetser are always busy. Tho this might be another example of the difference between people in Sheffield and other large cities. Time will tell.

Soft opening was last week. Heard it`s very impressive. Think it`s now open `properly`.

Went in the Bar & Beyond on Saturday. Not impressed. Beer range poor - my local Morrison's has a better "craft" selection. Only thing really worth drinking on tap was Punk IPA.

Went in the Bar & Beyond on Saturday. Not impressed. Beer range poor - my local Morrison's has a better "craft" selection. Only thing really worth drinking on tap was Punk IPA.

I thought Bar & Beyond was better than I thought it would be. But then my expectations were very low. I had Punk IPA which seemed to be £2.40 a pint. Maybe that made me feel better about the place. The bar staff were good at spotting the next person who needed serving and actually serving them. So more points earned there. On the whole I thought it was OK for a mainstream all-things-to-all-men kind of bar.

But The Botanist I thought was rubbish. Not enough staff due to the two bar people faffing about with cocktails rather than serving people 'normal drinks'. We left without buying a drink after waiting over 10 mins to be served. No sign of anything worth drinking anyway. The best 'draught' option seemed to be Budvar. The fridges were not glass-fronted so maybe there are some decent bottles of beer in there but I doubt it. I don't like the decor much. Seems the same layout as the previous rubbish bar in this unit. Fair enough it's aimed at cocktail drinkers who have plenty of time to spare, so this wasn't me on this occasion.

Overall: move along, nothing to see here.

I thought Bar & Beyond was better than I thought it would be. But then my expectations were very low. I had Punk IPA which seemed to be £2.40 a pint. Maybe that made me feel better about the place. The bar staff were good at spotting the next person who needed serving and actually serving them. So more points earned there. On the whole I thought it was OK for a mainstream all-things-to-all-men kind of bar.

But The Botanist I thought was rubbish. Not enough staff due to the two bar people faffing about with cocktails rather than serving people 'normal drinks'. We left without buying a drink after waiting over 10 mins to be served. No sign of anything worth drinking anyway. The best 'draught' option seemed to be Budvar. The fridges were not glass-fronted so maybe there are some decent bottles of beer in there but I doubt it. I don't like the decor much. Seems the same layout as the previous rubbish bar in this unit. Fair enough it's aimed at cocktail drinkers who have plenty of time to spare, so this wasn't me on this occasion.

Overall: move along, nothing to see here.

So Bar and Beyond really do have half price drinks between 5 & 10PM. Cool

The Botanist in Leeds used to have some 'barrels' behind the bar, each of which dispensed a half decent beer. The best was always the Beartown Peach Melbear. I'm guessing the Sheffield one has no such offering then?