France makes paying a lady or gent for sex against the law.

Women - sex objects

Men - sexist

what else is new - leave them all to it

Of course I don't mean all women and all men, some women are ladies and some men are gentlemen

Some hookers are ladies and some of their customers are gentlemen.

Its not just my world view and it is supported by research as well as evidence.
It isn't: your "evidence" is about a supposed consequence of "legalisation", which is (i) not what actually happened in Rhode Island (its legislation ended mirrorring the French system, see the quote) and (ii) which is irrelevant to the legal development in France (because Rhode Island did not criminalise punters relative to previously).

Now, this is from your own linked "evidence":

Lawmakers revised the state statute on prostitution in 1980, concerned that it was overly broad and could infringe on First Amendment freedoms. They went too far, accidentally removing the section defining the act itself as a crime. Other associated activities, such as streetwalking, pimping and trafficking, remained illegal.
That is exactly how prostitution had long been legally defined and criminalised in France (act is legal, everything around it is not - refer my post #10), and still is insofar as prostitutes are concerned.

So your "legalisation" was in fact Rhode Island emulating France's existing legal system :rolleyes:

Edited by L00b

It isn't: your "evidence" is about a supposed consequence of "legalisation", which is (i) not what actually happened in Rhode Island (its legislation ended mirrorring the French system, see the quote) and (ii) which is irrelevant to the legal development in France (because Rhode Island did not criminalise punters relative to previously).

Now, this is from your own linked "evidence":

That is exactly how prostitution had long been legally defined and criminalised in France (act is legal, everything around it is not - refer my post #10), and still is insofar as prostitutes are concerned.

So your "legalisation" was in fact Rhode Island emulating France's existing legal system :rolleyes:

No in France it is now illegal to pay for sex, in Rhode Island it wasn't and the number of rapes fell which isn't surprising, and is confirmed by many studies that say rapes will fall if prostitution is legal which also makes prostitutes safer.

It seems as though France has taken steps to make paying for sex against the law.

This will put some of the ladies out of work and on the dole.

In a lot of cases these lasses act as social workers befriending clients and forming long lasting relationships that are beneficial to both parties.

Some experts in the field think that the services provided should be available to the disabled on the national health, in this Country any way.

This is the 21st century yet we still live in the Victorian times regarding Prostitution .

Its pathetic.

This is the 21st century yet we still live in the Victorian times regarding Prostitution .

Its pathetic.

It's pathetic indeed. Legalise and light-touch regulate. Safer for everyone involved.

---------- Post added 07-04-2016 at 23:16 ----------

And those not involved too.

For once, it's criminalising punters instead of sex workers. What's not to like?

It may also save one or two from a worse fate than that :|

or it may drive it all underground, where appropriate monitoring is impossible and safety is difficult to ensure.

What it definitely won't do, is stop the trade going on.

The war on prostitution is as doomed to failure and suffers from same outcomes as the war on drugs. It makes the problem (if you accept that it's a problem) worse.

---------- Post added 08-04-2016 at 08:39 ----------

We're not talking about legalisation, which hasn't happened in France, so that comparison and point is completely redundant.

The criminalisation in France was always on the prostitutes, until now. This legislative change moves the charge onto the punters.

It does not legalise, de-criminalise or re-criminalise prostitution at all: someone who was going to pay for sex instead of raping will still pay for sex instead of raping, but now will likely be much more careful about the modus operandi to avoid a fine.

Ah, I'd missed this nuance. So in reality the only change is that the definition of criminality has moved from the vendor to the purchaser?

No in France it is now illegal to pay for sex, in Rhode Island it wasn't
You are wrong: it has been illegal (again) to pay for sex in Rhode Island since 2009.

It wasn't illegal to pay for sex in France prior to 2016, so between 2009 and 2016 it was again illegal to pay for sex in Rhode Island and it wasn't in France.

As from 2016, it is illegal to pay for sex in both Rhode Island and France.

Can't put it any clearer than that.

Now go take a look at sex worker rape statistics in these two jurisdiction over the period. You've got 7 years' worth of data to go at for trying to validate your theory.

Ah, I'd missed this nuance. So in reality the only change is that the definition of criminality has moved from the vendor to the purchaser?
Correct-ish: as I understand the update, the definition of criminality has not changed about matters peripheral (pimping, soliciting) to receiving money for sex acts (which still isn't criminal) but has instead been extended to purchasers as well (paying money for sex acts is now criminal as well). Edited by L00b