The top manager of all time in South Yorks.

samssong

It seems as though this section has died over the last week mainly due to a couple of posters who can't resist posting crap about other teams or their supporters.

So maybe a different topic might liven things up a bit .As per the title shall we say who are the top six in your opinion.

I will kick of with mine .

No one, Ron Atkinson (actually won summat)

No two, Harry Catterick,(runner up to Spurs with the finest Wed team ever)

No three, Trever Francis,( nearly won everything)

No four , John Harris,( Just an all round good manager)

No five,Jack Charlton [the most fun time ever at Hillsbro)

No six , Niel Warnock,( Horrible man but he did make people sit up and take notice of Sheffield football).

No other South Yorks manager to match them (in my opinion ) but Danny Wilson is up there with his record at Barnsley.

Any takers.

Edited by samssong
opinionBarnsley

It seems as though this section has died over the last week mainly due to a couple of posters who can't resist posting crap about other teams or their supporters.

So maybe a different topic might liven things up a bit .As per the title shall we say who are the top six in your opinion.

No six , Niel Warnock,( Horrible man but he did make people sit up and take notice of Sheffield football).

No other South Yorks manager to match them (in my opinion ) but Danny Wilson is up there with his record at Barnsley.

Any takers.

Are we talking about during our lifetime supporting SWFC?

If so, No.1 Big Ron for the reason you give and No.2 Tricky Trev also for the reasons you give.

Having said that, Warnock runs them both close purely for the entertainment he's provided us with! Even when we were getting beat there was still the consolation of having a sing-along with our mate Neil.

Edit: Just spotted the 'S. Yorks' in the thread title. Wilson did at Barnsley what had never been done before and will probably never be done again.

Edited by SiSiSi

Are we talking about during our lifetime supporting SWFC?

If so, No.1 Big Ron for the reason you give and No.2 Tricky Trev also for the reasons you give.

Having said that, Warnock runs them both close purely for the entertainment he's provided us with! Even when we were getting beat there was still the consolation of having a sing-along with our mate Neil.

Edit: Just spotted the 'S. Yorks' in the thread title. Wilson did at Barnsley what had never been done before and will probably never be done again.

I started watching when Eric Taylor was manager, probably the best manager who never kicked a ball in history.

Id go for Harry Catterick,I think wed have won titles and cups had we matched his ambition,he put a superb side together that was just 3 or 4 players short of a title winning side.

For the other lot,Warnock pulled them out of dire straits and totally overhauled the club,turning them into a premiership outfit,they were dark days before he took it on.Always controversial,very colourfull a real character.

i think warnock is definately the best manager in recent history taking sufc to the premiership with not a very expensive squad in todays climate of the Premiership

---------- Post added 17-03-2016 at 22:00 ----------

i think warnock is definately the best manager in recent history taking sufc to the premiership with not a very expensive squad in todays climate of the Premiership

sorry but i`m only 47 so i don`t remember most managers mentioned on here.LOL

Any takers.

I'm no Blade but Harry Basset deserves to be on that list, for a while there was no one better at what he did.

Dave Bassett, for taking us from the third tier to the top flight, and four years mixing it with the biggest clubs in the country - and for introducing a wonderful team spirit.

Warnock's the next and not far behind, but that achievement of Bassett in keeping us in that top flight for four years, when we would be among the relegation favourites most seasons, was great - especially when you consider that we've only had one solitary season in the top flight in the 22 years since that relegation!

Dave Bassett, for taking us from the third tier to the top flight, and four years mixing it with the biggest clubs in the country - and for introducing a wonderful team spirit.

Warnock's the next and not far behind, but that achievement of Bassett in keeping us in that top flight for four years, when we would be among the relegation favourites most seasons, was great - especially when you consider that we've only had one solitary season in the top flight in the 22 years since that relegation!

I liked old "Harry" was keen on the footie his teams played but he did perform miracles, a nice bloke as well.

I'd go for Atko from an Owls perspective (CC may be a future great) and Wilkinson did a good job, Tricky Trev gets unfairly maligned in my view.

I started watching when Eric Taylor was manager, probably the best manager who never kicked a ball in history.

Yes Eric Taylor, who signed Ron Springett and brought Harry Catterick to the Owls. I thought Vic Buckingham wasn't bad !