The decline of theme tunes

Actually, I think the most apt theme tune of recent years was the one for True Blood.

I've got a soft spot for the Eye of the Tiger, it was the first song that I ever liked.

Rocky IV, wasn't it?

Rocky IV, wasn't it?

Rocky III, with Mr T playing Clubber Lang.

There are still a few good theme tunes out there from recent years. Sons Of Anarchy, True Detective S1, Game Of Thrones, Black Sails... The Last Kingdom was quite nice too.

It's true though that more and more series are doing away with opening titles in favour of a more cinematic opening to each episode (Fargo for example)

They're aren't bad on the whole - although I can't remember true detective which is odd as its one of my very favourites.

Chuck true blood in the mix too - but it's no magnum p.i.

---------- Post added 08-03-2016 at 21:35 ----------

Actually, I think the most apt theme tune of recent years was the one for True Blood.

Never saw your post medusa!

---------- Post added 08-03-2016 at 21:37 ----------

No, I think that the 80's were the peak theme tune decade, with the A Team, Knight Rider, Fame, Air Wolf, Magnum, Star Trek the Next Generation and Miami Vice, Thundercats, Battle of the Planets all leading the way.

What about movie songs, are there any better than the Eye of the Tiger and Ghostbusters?

Jaws. Caught (no pun intended) a bit of that the other day. Awesome film, iconic music. Jurassic park was quite memorable too.

My vote for a good new opening tune is for the Netflix original series Blue Mountain State. The song is Hell Yeah by Rev Theory. Think of 'America; *** Yeah' in Team America and you're not far off.

No, I think that the 80's were the peak theme tune decade, with Star Trek the Next Generation

That was actually adapted from the original Star Trek movies.

This is my favourite -

Closely followed by Street Hawk (Tangerine Dream?)

Talking Netflix as above ,House of Cards(series 4 hot off the press,grab it all now.I love binging)has a good purposeful tune.Lots of brass!! Sounds presedential so fits the bill!!

Ooh.

So many to mention -

Danger Man (and see "The Prisoner" up-thread)

Joe 90 (closing)

Hawaii Five-O

The Avengers

Z-Cars

The Sweeney (particularly the "low key" closing version)

- And of course, Conisbrough's very own Tony Christie with "The Protectors"

I've honestly never watched the show, but whenever people speak of theme tunes this always pops into my head

:D

I love the Ch5 'Wentworth Prison' (not as much as I loved the original Prisoner cell Block H). But the thing I hate about the new show is the horrid theme tune...Give me the old 'He used to give me roses....' theme tune anyday!

Incidentally does anyone remember when they, briefly, changed the Eastenders theme tune in the early 1990s? It was really naff - they had to change it back as they got so many complaints!

Edited by Mister M

I love the theme tune to Red Drawf love or hate the program the theme song always makes me smile it's cheerful like it should be. To serious today what happened to the fun?