City council treating disabillities differently.

People applying for a bus pass are placed into two categories, mental health and physical health.

People with physical health problems are being issued passes for upto 5 years.

People with mental health problems are only having their passes issued for 12 months.

People with physical health problems are assessed by recieving a telephone call from someone who issues a bus pass.

People who have mental health problems or autism are recieving no call. If they are not part of the care program approach they are likely to have their bus pass refused.

People with physical health problems are allowed to appeal on their own accord.

People with mental health problems have to get tehir psychartrist to fill in their appeal form.

Mental health is not a visible disability, but it doesn't mean that Sheffield City council shoud be treating it as invisible. Any ideas how to put pressure on the council greatly appreciated.

People applying for a bus pass are placed into two categories, mental health and physical health.

People with mental health problems are only having their passes issued for 12 months.

People with physical health problems are assessed by recieving a telephone call from someone who issues a bus pass.

People who have mental health problems or autism are recieving no call. If they are not part of the care program approach they are likely to have their bus pass refused.

People with mental health problems have to get tehir psychartrist to fill in their appeal form.

Mental health is not a visible disability, but it doesn't mean that Sheffield City council shoud be treating it as invisible. Any ideas how to put pressure on the council greatly appreciated.

Contact your local councillor(s) directly.

Contact the leader of the council directly. (Julie Dore)

Contact the chief executive of the council directly. (John Mothersole)

Contact your MP

Contact the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (currently Greg Clark MP)

This is the government's approach to mental health service reform.

It's on the desk of Alistair Burt MP

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/mental-health-service-reform

If that doesn't get you anywhere, then a press campaign allied with a petition to one or more of the above.

Sheffield are implementing the national guidelines. Unless the mental health condition means the person is not allowed to drive they probably don't meet the criteria. I know people who have had disability bus passes for years but have not had them renewed - see http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/disabled/

According to the Council's website passes get issued for 5 years or until the current evidence expires eg if there is an expiry date for current higher level mobility benefit - see https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/caresupport/adult/support-available/travel-pass/disabled-persons-pass.html

Putting the 'physical health' part aside, it makes you wonder how SCC gets to work in the afternoons without a bus pass.

Are you equating "mental health" with an inability or willingness to work?

Does a "mental health" make that person less suitable for work than a person with 'physical health' difficulties or any one else.

Which group of SCC are you referring to?

Or is this humour which people laughed at once upon a time until they realised they were having a laugh at the expense of others?

In a previous post I said that Sheffield had refused a "letter of entitlement" that is needed by SYPTE to issue an ENCTS Disability pass in 2014. This was overturned before appeal as Sheffield were not then (late 2014) using the 2010 Act definition of disability.

My suggestion is that you copy, read, highlight and submit the sections of the "Definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010" .

In some cases like autism, recent proof is not needed from a medical expert.

The pass is not permanent and has to be re applied for.

---------- Post added 23-02-2016 at 21:15 ----------

Sheffield are implementing the national guidelines. Unless the mental health condition means the person is not allowed to drive they probably don't meet the criteria. I know people who have had disability bus passes for years but have not had them renewed - see http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/disabled/

According to the Council's website passes get issued for 5 years or until the current evidence expires eg if there is an expiry date for current higher level mobility benefit - see https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/caresupport/adult/support-available/travel-pass/disabled-persons-pass.html

This is an example of the criteria before the 2010 Act and is no longer applicable although Sheffield used it with us in 2014 when a refusal was on the grounds that an autistic student was "too intelligent to have bus pass and could drive". Reminded by referring to 2010 Act. Successful without appeal.

You will also find that once your 65 you are no longer entitled to a disabled bus pass, it goes to an OAP bus pass, which restricts the times you can travel. I was disabled before I become/became a pentioner so I/we should be able to use a disabled pass.

Really?!

:|:|more characters... (I was going to comment on some of the things in the OP, but this post stood out)

Edited by *_ash_*

Really?!

:|:|more characters... (I was going to comment on some of the things in the OP, but this post stood out)

A bit of C & P from SCC webpage.

Disabled passes are valid until your 65th birthday after which you will automatically revert to a Senior pass, Exceptions for Disability pass holders aged 65 and wanting to keep it are only valid for Blind, or partially sighted and disabled passes with companion

A bit of C & P from SCC webpage.

Disabled passes are valid until your 65th birthday after which you will automatically revert to a Senior pass, Exceptions for Disability pass holders aged 65 and wanting to keep it are only valid for Blind, or partially sighted and disabled passes with companion

Well I didn't know that, I thought I would have heard of it :huh:

How ridiculous!

Sometimes rules just baffle me.

Having a mental illness does not stop or reduce your mobility. So why should people with mental illness need discounted bus fares?