Facebook,Instagram and guns..

Will 'social media' interfere and/or hinder progress?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Will 'social media' interfere and/or hinder progress?

• Yes it will hinder, the might of the NRA will come out blazing from the hip.
    • No, it will begin the tide of common sense and reason.

ooooh you are very naive:loopy:

Yeah yeah whatever gangsta man

It's been in the national press...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35448203

That's what confused me, the OP mentioned a "lack of gun control madness" being championed by social media, the link is saying that Facebook and Twitter are actually contributing toward gun control.

I don't know about it helping or hindering the pro gun lobby but they'll definitely try to play on it as yet another step toward losing the 2nd amendment or some such.

You're confusing the UK with the US.

UK gun ownership (like a lot of the world) is not a problem. US gun ownership is quite clearly a problem, unless you're okay with massacres in schools taking place on a regular basis.

Facebook and Instagram are US companies, and the small amount of pressure that they can apply is aimed at the US situation (although I doubt they will achieve anything).

I don't think FB's ruling is intended to to apply pressure, although that might have some form of knock on effect. What it does do, is further highlight a serious problem which is aggressively undermined by the pro lobby and the NRA. Even if its ruling is minor it's still a positive towards common sense. Media sells ideas..the question is, will FB's ruling help considering many guns and ammo previously are not now available through its network? The way I personally see it is, if it's a move in the right direction then it's a positive, unless I've completely missed something.

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 20:52 ----------

That's what confused me, the OP mentioned a "lack of gun control madness" being championed by social media, the link is saying that Facebook and Twitter are actually contributing toward gun control.

Sorry for the confusion, now rectified.

Edited by Andbreathe

I don't think FB's ruling is intended to to apply pressure, although that might have some form of knock on effect. What it does do, is further highlight a serious problem which is aggressively undermined by the pro lobby and the NRA. Even if its ruling is minor it's still a positive towards common sense. Media sells ideas..the question is, will FB's ruling help considering many guns and ammo previously are not now available through its network? The way I personally see it is, if it's a move in the right direction then it's a positive, unless I've completely missed something.

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 20:52 ----------

Sorry for the confusion, now rectified.

1. Depends how much real business is done on facebook and how much can be done elsewhere. there are other gun sites, its just not facebook. Nobody will monitor facebook messenger it will depend on users reporting other users. It will still alow licenced gun sales. It seems just as much about remobing itself from controversy as its making a big push towards e-commerce. Theres an article on the FT.com about America's ebay for guns.

2. I wasnt suggesting cyclone was confused, but was agreeing with him pointing out that users get confused whether they are talking about the gun situation in the US or the UK. You see it a lot on gun threads.

3. Are you from the UK or US? If you are in the UK and not a US citizen then why would you be so interested that they crack down? isnt it there right to decie for themselves no matter how crazy you might think it is?

Compare that to some states in the US where you can walk into a store and buy a fully automatic rifle and as much ammo as you like, with no background check and little in the way of ID.

Compare that to Canada where you can do same thing.

Plus you can shoot it in public place. Not only on private property. Fully legally.

Like stop in a lay-by on motorway and shoot some cans.

Compare that to Switzerland where most of male population is conscripted into militia and has fully automatic assault rifles at home.

Guns are not a problem in rich countries.

We have 'strict' gun control here but knife crime makes up for gun crime.

Canadians certainly own a lot of guns and have less of a gun crime problem than the US. I've never heard it said that you can buy them with little in the way of ID or checks though.

The Swiss are hardly comparable, they have to account for every round of ammunition that they hold. (Rifle by the way, not plural, they have 1 rifle, securely stored, not where a 4 year old can get to it and play with it).

Compare that to Canada where you can do same thing.

No, you can't

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=11229474&postcount=445

Plus you can shoot it in public place. Not only on private property. Fully legally.

Like stop in a lay-by on motorway and shoot some cans.

Individual states and cities have their laws and restrictions about it. If it is permitted, you can't just go shooting willy-nilly. As far as I'm aware there's nowhere in Canada that you are permitted to shoot in motorway (highway) lay-bys (where fast moving cars and bullets may not be the safest of combinations).

Compare that to Switzerland where most of male population is conscripted into militia and has fully automatic assault rifles at home.

Guns are not a problem in rich countries.

We have 'strict' gun control here but knife crime makes up for gun crime.

The fatality rate of UK knife crime when compared to the fatality rate of US gun crime are somewhat one sided, I'll let you guess which is the highest.

Could a 15 year old, or a 4 year old?

How many people in the UK are killed with firearms by their DOGS. None.

In the US, it was 6 last year.

They very clearly have a problem with gun control.

I know a bloke with no big toe,his dog shot him in the foot,rubbish shot from the dog.True story.

My information might be out of date a bit. Still Canadians have loads of guns and can buy fairly easily.

Individual states and cities have their laws and restrictions about it. If it is permitted, you can't just go shooting willy-nilly. As far as I'm aware there's nowhere in Canada that you are permitted to shoot in motorway (highway) lay-bys (where fast moving cars and bullets may not be the safest of combinations).

I am not saying you can shoot at traffic.

You have to have common sense and be safe. Like shooting away from traffic and have your target set up on a slope that will catch stray bullets.

But quite a lot of places have no legal restrictions as long as you don't do anything stupid.

The fatality rate of UK knife crime when compared to the fatality rate of US gun crime are somewhat one sided, I'll let you guess which is the highest.

I'm not saying that our knife crime is comparable to US gun crime.

What I am saying is gun regulations have less impact on violent crime then economy. Among rich people there will always be some odd legless chap who thinks guns solve relationship issues.

But among lower earners crime becomes more popular. Including violent crime irrespective of tools used to commit it.

1. Depends how much real business is done on facebook and how much can be done elsewhere. there are other gun sites, its just not facebook. Nobody will monitor facebook messenger it will depend on users reporting other users. It will still alow licenced gun sales. It seems just as much about remobing itself from controversy as its making a big push towards e-commerce. Theres an article on the FT.com about America's ebay for guns.

There's always the possibility that other media outlets may follow suit, reducing access (every little helps)

2. I wasnt suggesting cyclone was confused, but was agreeing with him pointing out that users get confused whether they are talking about the gun situation in the US or the UK. You see it a lot on gun threads.

There is nothing confusing about the NRA.

3. Are you from the UK or US? If you are in the UK and not a US citizen then why would you be so interested that they crack down? isnt it there right to decie for themselves no matter how crazy you might think it is?

I'm not South African, I'm neither Syrian, religious, homosexual or even Black. I don't have to be any of those to have an opinion, and it's certainly the worst of all arguments to use against any point of view. My nationality is irrelevant, otherwise I could be asking the same of you while posting on this thread which I wouldn't dream of.

My information might be out of date a bit. Still Canadians have loads of guns and can buy fairly easily.
...not as easy as the USA though (ie, walk into a gun fair and buy on the spot, no ID, no questions asked).

I am not saying you can shoot at traffic.

You have to have common sense and be safe. Like shooting away from traffic and have your target set up on a slope that will catch stray bullets.

But quite a lot of places have no legal restrictions as long as you don't do anything stupid.

I'm not saying you did say you can shoot at traffic, I'm saying you can't shoot in a highway lay-by.

I'm not saying that our knife crime is comparable to US gun crime.

What I am saying is gun regulations have less impact on violent crime then economy. Among rich people there will always be some odd legless chap who thinks guns solve relationship issues.

But among lower earners crime becomes more popular. Including violent crime irrespective of tools used to commit it.

Which demographic do you think the perpetrators of school massacres fall into?