TV licence thread

22 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I am gutted you have a different opinion to me on this. 

Distraught. 

silly boy

• Like 1

Just scrap the TV Tax, it's all crap anyway! OK, I don't pay, I don't watch, I think it's 99% crap (all live TV channels). Some of the love letters the BBC send me every month are quite funny. They really are way too far up their own backside, and thinking that the entire country watches live TV! 

If you did want to watch what's on live TV and not break the law, just watch on catch up. You don't have to pay then. No iPlayer though...thems the BBC rules (laws) apparently.

And don't let the BBC con you with the no adverts hype. They are masters of advertising, and earn a lot of money from their overseas channels. Strange how they never help out the British public that are forced to pay their TV tax, even if they don't watch BBC. That may even be the same people that funded the overseas channels in the first place.

It might just be me. It was a huge con (IMO) and TV in general was just a collection of repeated 'crap' So, I kept my money in my pocket..well, gave it Netflix and Disney+ (I swap and change between others too)

I'd really like to see the real numbers that think the BBC is value for money. That's just the BBC, not those that have to pay the BBC so they can watch other live TV.

Anyway, my weekly rant over.

I'll sit back and laugh at the previous two posters. Much more interesting than my rant...and live TV!

11 minutes ago, zach said:

Some of the love letters the BBC send me every month are quite funny

That would be Capita tbf, not the BBC. 

9 minutes ago, zach said:

Just scrap the TV Tax, it's all crap anyway! OK, I don't pay, I don't watch, I think it's 99% crap (all live TV channels). Some of the love letters the BBC send me every month are quite funny. They really are way too far up their own backside, and thinking that the entire country watches live TV! 

I'll sit back and laugh at the previous two posters. Much more interesting than my rant...and live TV!

My bold.    Looks like you and I are in agreement anyway because they are my feelings exactly.    I also pointed out that many other viewers may have the same view.

Glad you enjoyed the so called debate

And I am sure many agree with me too. Aren't opinions wonderful? 

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

And I am sure many agree with me too. Aren't opinions wonderful? 

They are indeed.

That's why some have been asking for a referendum on the subject.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

That would be Capita tbf, not the BBC. 

It is indeed, but for the benefit of the BBC. I know Capita quite well. Always thought they have too many interests in UK business and government. Another company I have little time for.

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

My bold.    Looks like you and I are in agreement anyway because they are my feelings exactly.    I also pointed out that many other viewers may have the same view.

Glad you enjoyed the so called debate

Yes, I am very anti forced payment for entertainment (The BBC)

And yes, I do like 'the so called debates'

Bit of a thread bump this, but I'm getting more interested in the why's and where's of TV licence funding with the recent news that the current agreement is set to expire in 2027; https://www.theguardian.com/media/2024/mar/25/bbc-looks-for-commercial-deals-as-it-faces-potential-end-of-licence-fee

As far as I can work out the licence fee only pays for BBC services.... none of it goes to Sky, or freeview channels, or ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5...

So why in the hell do I need to pay for a licence fee if I never watch BBC channels or listen to BBC radio services?

The equivalent would be Sky enforcers going up to peoples doors and demanding money from people who haven't got Sky :loopy:

• Thanks 1

To help pay for Gary Linekars massive salary.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

Bit of a thread bump this, but I'm getting more interested in the why's and where's of TV licence funding with the recent news that the current agreement is set to expire in 2027; https://www.theguardian.com/media/2024/mar/25/bbc-looks-for-commercial-deals-as-it-faces-potential-end-of-licence-fee

As far as I can work out the licence fee only pays for BBC services.... none of it goes to Sky, or freeview channels, or ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5...

So why in the hell do I need to pay for a licence fee if I never watch BBC channels or listen to BBC radio services?

The equivalent would be Sky enforcers going up to peoples doors and demanding money from people who haven't got Sky :loopy:

TV licensing is a joke. I've had 5 letters from them telling me my address is 'being investigated' as there's no license here 🙄

Who the hell do they think they are? 

Their threatening and ominous letters are worthy of unscrupulous debt collectors as I found when trying and finally getting a rebate on money paid.

However I am quite happy to pay a little over £3 a week for the content that I do enjoy and remain free from 15 minutes every hour of adverts.

Part funds channel 4 and the last thing the commercial channels want is to compete with for advertising is the BBC