Big Lorry went through a red light on Penistone Rd

Love the term "filtering". A term introduced by cyclists and motor cyclists to give some credence to what they are actually doing, i.e. jumping the queue and not maintaining lane discipline.

A bus driver sounding off about other road users (legal) behaviour, whatever next?

Love the term "filtering". A term introduced by cyclists and motor cyclists to give some credence to what they are actually doing, i.e. jumping the queue and not maintaining lane discipline.

Yes, we came up with it entirely on our own :roll:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/road-users-requiring-extra-care-204-to-225

I'd like to see you sat in traffic inhaling fumes and see how long YOU would want to stay in that position.

If there is space in the cycle lane to safely ride, I would absolutely do it. But if its obstructed by vehicles or I am already stuck in a different lane, how else am I supposed to proceed?

How many of you who are moaning have actually driven a HGV? as for the bus drivers comments filtering is legal on a bike or motorbike but if you dont do it safely then you are an idiot.Let he who is without guilt cast the first stone.

Guest busdriver1
Yes, we came up with it entirely on our own :roll:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/road-users-requiring-extra-care-204-to-225

I'd like to see you sat in traffic inhaling fumes and see how long YOU would want to stay in that position.

If there is space in the cycle lane to safely ride, I would absolutely do it. But if its obstructed by vehicles or I am already stuck in a different lane, how else am I supposed to proceed?

Having checked your link, there is nothing there about "filtering", there are plenty things about treating cyclists and motor cyclists with respect ( I do that) but nothing at all about creating an imaginary second / third / fourth lane in order to make progress. There is also a lot about maintaining lane discipline.

Having checked your link, there is nothing there about "filtering", there are plenty things about treating cyclists and motor cyclists with respect ( I do that) but nothing at all about creating an imaginary second / third / fourth lane in order to make progress. There is also a lot about maintaining lane discipline.

Try rule #160 and #212.

Shouldn't you already know the highway code, as a professional driver?

I assumed, wrongly perhaps, that you are/were a professional driver; perhaps you should read the 4th pdf down in the following link.

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/motorcyclists/hugger-rider-skills-downloads

I do think that some bikers and cyclists should read it too, including the embedded videos in the series.

p.s. make sure your sound is turned up and listen to the commentaries.

Edited by peak4

Guest busdriver1
Try rule #160 and #212.

Shouldn't you already know the highway code, as a professional driver?

Am I a professional driver? News to me.

Fair enough, you don't drive buses then?

You did go back and look at the rules though, and you now retract all your previous comments about filtering?

Guest busdriver1
Fair enough, you don't drive buses then?

You did go back and look at the rules though, and you now retract all your previous comments about filtering?

not at all, because they are quite clear and if done according to the non legal body you quote can be done safely. I stand by my comments about riders making an extra lane and claiming to be filtering.

if it viola ring them as there wagons are on tracker and all cabs have cctv they can see who was where

It was a big lorry ie a car transporter not a bin lorry

---------- Post added 12-12-2015 at 14:24 ----------

I'm pretty sure the Highway Code makes no such claim, it barely mentions filtering at all.

I can't imagine cyclists choosing to filter between lanes unless cars are blocking the cycle lane. I haven't been on Penistone Road since they put the cycle lane in so cannot say for sure, but I see this all the time elsewhere in the city.

That said, some of the cycle lanes in the city seem to leave way too little space for wider cars to fit in the lane without obstruction.

I've seen cyclists doing this many, many times as well as other stupid things like going round inside of red light on footpath and then running gauntlet of traffic legitimately coming through lights at green (at junction of Wooley wood bottom and at the end of Carlisle street. A route I went down five days a week for 10 years

---------- Post added 12-12-2015 at 14:26 ----------

[

Edited by denlin

not at all, because they are quite clear and if done according to the non legal body you quote can be done safely. I stand by my comments about riders making an extra lane and claiming to be filtering.

So now having looked at the rules, and found the references to filtering, which previously you couldn't find. You're still going to try to pretend that filtering is a term made up by motorcyclists and cyclists. :huh:

I guess nobody can make you admit that you were wrong, but it's pretty obvious.

Guest busdriver1
So now having looked at the rules, and found the references to filtering, which previously you couldn't find. You're still going to try to pretend that filtering is a term made up by motorcyclists and cyclists. :huh:

I guess nobody can make you admit that you were wrong, but it's pretty obvious.

Wrong I have not looked at the rules there are non. The body you referred to is not a legal body so any "rules" they make are not valid.