Big Lorry went through a red light on Penistone Rd

Hello

Was wondering if anyone was on Penistone Road at around 4.20 this afternoon.

Had an awful experience earlier. Went to get my tyre done at the Hyundi garage, as I was coming out I was waiting at the lights to cross penistone road, just by the Fiat garage. There were two lanes, and I was in the wrong one. I was about to swap, but a bike was in that lane so I didn't. Anyway light went green, me and this bike went and a massive Lorry (the ones which carry 2 layers of cars) came storming through the red light - if I'd have been in that other lane my baby would be dead now - the Lorry would've been straight in the passenger door side and I would be seriously injured, if not dead too. I obviously looked but it came out of nowhere! The bike was a lot faster than me and the Lorry just missed him. It was horrible.

Is there anything I can do?

Unless you got the numberplate or have a dash cam there's not much you can do.

Hi Shoo Gal,

'm sorry to hear about your horrible experience. Exactly the same thing happened to me on the roundabout near junction 36 of the M1 when I was pregnant. If it hasn't been for my passenger noticing a massive lorry hurtling through a red light when I had a clear green, and me executing an emergency stop, then neither myself nor my unborn child would be here. It makes me feel sick even thinking about it now.

Sadly, I'm not aware of anything that can be done, though it might be worth contacting the police if the junction in question had traffic cameras on it?

I doubt it, I know there are some cameras on that road but not sure where. I'm glad the biker got through ok too, he was angry!

People these day's raving on about things like this - I could post a hundred separate threads a month about this if I wanted!

It makes you wonder what people have to with their time now :roll:

People these day's raving on about things like this - I could post a hundred separate threads a month about this if I wanted!

It appears that some post on Digital Spy to moan about other posters.

Well aren't you a treat!

Merry Christmas to you too- hope you have a really good one!

The best thing you can do, assuming you didn't get a reg plate or company name, is learn from the experience and move on. A green light only means "go" if safe to do so. Always give a quick check for any idiots. Of course they're in the wrong but better to be alive than to have that proved in a court after you've been killed.

Don't listen to Chav, no one else does. Traffic lights are the automated authority to progressing at junctions and jumping a red light can cost much more than time. I have heard of many incidents like this lately and it is not going to be long before someone gets killed and it could well be any of us.

I've got a dash cam with lots of incidents of people going through red lights and may prove useful when one day I may need it for evidence. It's a small investment as insurance companies like to go for 50/50 responsibility in alot of claims which makes both parties responsible and so you have to pay up the voluntary excess and not get it back. As my excess is £300 it is well worth getting a decent dash cam like the Roadhawk.

I see it daily, branded lorries, buses, vans - all supposed professional drivers. Nobody respects red lights any more. You dare to rebuke them with lights and horn and you get abuse in return.

Like Nat says, get a cheap dash cam and send any footage to the company on the side.

Police now act on dashcam footage, as this link shows:

http://www.newsnorthwales.co.uk/news/155714/watch-moment-captured-which-led-to-jailing-of-driver-on-bronington-road.aspx

Guest busdriver1

I love watching dash cam footage on youtube, it is one of my favourite sources of entertainment. It just amazes me how many of them work in reverse and show the driver of the car with the dash cam to be at fault. (well over half).

Definitely buy a dash cam shoo.

This one is excellent

(you don't need to buy the mount that it recommends on Amazon, you get one with it, albeit a cheaper one)