Is it illegal for a British citizen living in uk to support ISIS?

Doing racist things is mostly not illegal, not in a private context anyway, unless it involves violence or abuse.

For example, people can privately tell racist jokes, avoid people of a certain race, have prejudice against those people, etc... No crime committed.

They can even make openly racist statements, so long as they don't incite hatred or violence.

---------- Post added 23-11-2015 at 11:58 ----------

If thats the case, how come they dont get arrested at the demonstrations they have ?

I dont think it would be illegal to join the Saudi Arabian Army, so why should it be illegal to join any other army. The Saudies support ISIS, OR at least they did before this latest blood shed.

Because its a proscribed terrorist organisation as deemed by our government.

You would likely be committing offences under the Terrorism Act 2005 if you joined ISIS of:

• Section 5 (Preparation of Terrorist Acts) makes it an offence for a person who has the intention of committing acts of terrorism or assisting others to commit such acts to undertake any conduct or action giving effect to that intention.

• Sections 6 (Terrorist Training) and 8 (Attending at a Place for Terrorist Training) criminalise giving or receiving training in terrorism techniques and attending at a place, anywhere in the world, where such training is provided.

It wouldnt be an offence to join the Saudi army as its a sovereign country, although depending what you did might be judged to be treasonous.

Edited by 999tigger

Doing racist things is mostly not illegal, not in a private context anyway, unless it involves violence or abuse.

For example, people can privately tell racist jokes, avoid people of a certain race, have prejudice against those people, etc... No crime committed.

They can even make openly racist statements, so long as they don't incite hatred or violence.

---------- Post added 23-11-2015 at 11:58 ----------

If thats the case, how come they dont get arrested at the demonstrations they have ?

I don't understand your question.

How could you possibly judge my intelligence level based on so little information? It is a silly think to say.

The irony is strong in this one.

I don't understand your question.

Its illegal to incite racial hatred and violence.

So when you see muslims demonstrating, and they are advocating beheading non muslims etc, surely that is incitement, and therefore illegal.

But you hardly ever hear of any arrests being made, apart from the high profile ones. The ones burning British flags, poppys etc, what about them ?

So when you see muslims demonstrating, and they are advocating beheading non muslims etc, surely that is incitement, and therefore illegal.

But you hardly ever hear of any arrests being made, apart from the high profile ones. The ones burning British flags, poppys etc, what about them ?

I don't know of incidents involving burning poppies (although I haven't looked) but doing so would be insensitive and offensive to many, but I don't think it could be described as racist.

I've not heard of " muslims demonstrating, and they are advocating beheading non muslims etc" in this country - do you have any links?

Thats not racial hatred though.

The offence of relgious hatred comes under Racial and Religious Hatred Act 2006 as i pointed out. It includes an ammendment to the Public Order Act 86

Section 29B:

(1) A person who uses threatening words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, is guilty of an offence if he intends thereby to stir up religious hatred.

I don't know of incidents involving burning poppies (although I haven't looked) but doing so would be insensitive and offensive to many, but I don't think it could be described as racist.

I've not heard of " muslims demonstrating, and they are advocating beheading non muslims etc" in this country - do you have any links?

Loads of them if you google it..

Here is just one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-376088/London-protesters-Behead-insult-prophet.html

tonights TV programe on IS sympathisers in the uk should be interesting CH 4 9pm IsIs women? i am guessing these might be liable to arrest or should be after its shown.

Its not racial hatred though is it as it doesnt designate a race.

Oh for Gods sake, they mean EVERY race apart from themselves...

And threatening to cut peoples heads off is definately illegal..

Oh for Gods sake, they mean EVERY race apart from themselves...

And threatening to cut peoples heads off is definately illegal..

Already pointed out its religious hatred, but you keep on with the racial hatred and fail to appreciate the difference. They have different criteria. It was a placard, they would have to shiow it was a direct and realistic threat.

Incitement to religious hatred

A religious hatred offence has been created by Parliament, and came into force on 1 October 2007. However, this law is very different from the race hate law already on the statute books in that it only covers threatening words or behaviour (not insults or abuse) and only covers such words or behaviour that is intended to stir up religious hatred (not that likely to stir hatred).

So abusive or insulting behaviour intended to stir up religious hatred is not an offence under the legislation, nor are threatening words likely to stir up religious hatred.

There is a freedom of expression defence enshrined in the new law that means it cannot be used to prohibit or restrict discussion, criticism, antipathy, dislike, ridicule, insult or abuse of a religion or its beliefs or practices.

So it will be more difficult to prosecute for inciting religious hatred as opposed to racial hatred (for which the standard is already properly high).

Prosecutions for this offence require the consent of the Attorney General and will be dealt with under the same arrangements as offences of inciting racial hatred.