Woodbine cigarettes

Capstan full strengh, they were strong' cough cough.

Remember 'Players Weights' and 'Turf' both priced the same as Woodbine's and Park Drive

There was a little story told in cigarette names that an old fella in the steel works told me.Can't remember it all but here goes with what I can remember.

Little Willy Woodbine took Lilly White down Park Drive.

When a Star was hid by a Passing Cloud her showed her his Robin

sorry folks but thats all I can remember maybe someone else knows the whole thing and can put it right.

Little willy WOODBINE

Took sally GOLDFAKE up PARK DRIVE

Laid her on the TURF

Took out his BAR 1 and popped it in her NAVY CUT.

[another version from the steel works in the 50's]

I don't recall the machines but in the early 50's my dad smoked Woodbine and Mum smoked ParkDrive,little cigs with no tips, they must have killed the throat,did you ever smoke Craven'A'?

I have an old tin sign that say's " For your throat's sake Smoke Craven 'A' they never vary - from the picture it looks like they have tips on.

I'm pretty sure they were cork tips Twinky. Cork stuck round the outside of the fag with no filter tip in the middle. You still bot baccy in yer mouth so I don't know quite why they were invented. Maybe to stop the paper becoming soggy.

I’ve never heard of Meadow Gold, but thinking about the different brands during the second world war brings to mind State Express 333, State Express 555, Sobranie, Passing Cloud, Joysticks (twice the length of ordinary cigs), Woodbines (at one time only available in tens and not in twenties), Park Drive (at one time only available in twenties and not tens), Players Weights, Turf, Sweet Afton (an Irish brand), Sweet Caporal (Canadian version okay, French version absolute crap), Lucky Strike (toasted tobacco), Camel (toasted tobacco), Nosegay (really awful), Players Medium Navy Cut, Capstan Medium, Capstan Full Strength and all the Co-operative Society’s own brands which were produced from their factory in Manchester. And let’s not forget Senior Service, Black Cat (4 extra free), Craven A (which tasted awful if you lit the cork tip while lighting up in a darkened cinema), Stuyvesant and — to bring it to a close — the best of the lot if you were in the RN, and that was the monthly allowance of ‘Tickler’, a roll your own tobacco straight from Virginia and without any mix of the Empire’s tobaccos! At Pompey we could get Tickler machine-rolled with HM Barracks, Portsmouth printed on the cigarette papers.

In my early smoking days (thankfully long behind me now) I used to like "Cadets" and "Kensitas" - we used to nick them from the paper shop. Mom always smoked Woodies, Dad went from Parkies to No 6 (tipped) in the 60s, in the hope that tipped cggies wouldn't kill him.

They did!

Does any one recall the machines dispensing2 woodbines and 2 matches for a penny, there were not many,they was in a green packet Arthur

I don't remember the 2 for a penny woodbines, but I do remember the little packs of 5 woodbines you could buy in the fifties.

perterw, - you left at least one brand out of your list. An expensive brand called 'Three Castles'; they were in a green packet, in 20s only and I think they were made by Wills.

I remember my mother used to get a Christmas gift each year of a box of Sheffield made ciggies called Porter's. They came in a plain white box of 100 with 'Porter's Luxury Cigarettes' embossed on the top. Used to keep my best marbles in one of these boxes :)

Well remember the quarter pound tins of shag, and the tailor made version which we called 'Blue Liners'; - at sea many of the brands could only be bought in tins of fifty and there were what we called 'Ship's Woodbines', which were the same size as Players and Capstan medium etc.

Not only forgot Three Castles, also forgot Cadets and Kensitas. But it was a long time ago! Searching my memory, was there not a time when Three Castles was printed on the packet as Three Caftles?

I'm pretty sure they were cork tips Twinky. Cork stuck round the outside of the fag with no filter tip in the middle. You still bot baccy in yer mouth so I don't know quite why they were invented. Maybe to stop the paper becoming soggy.
i believe they were to stop the paper sticking to ones lips