[How] is this even legal?

I wasn't actually asking about the landlord, I meant the agent. As a reputable agent, I would have thought they would advised their client not to act in such a way, but I suppose thats a perfect world.

From a legal standpoint, false advertising in this case is a false/misleading price in the advertisement that and misrepresents of the property, in such a way it negatively affects any stakeholders, i.e. me as the prospective tenant/customer. Thats my understanding of the law. No amount of disclaimers or footnotes can disengage the agent from its responsibilities.

False advertising would be a lie about the property, not a price that is just an invitation to treat.

In the same way that mistakes in pricing something in a shop are not in any way binding on the shop, they are not obliged to sell to you at an advertised price, or indeed at all.

False advertising would be a lie about the property, not a price that is just an invitation to treat.

In the same way that mistakes in pricing something in a shop are not in any way binding on the shop, they are not obliged to sell to you at an advertised price, or indeed at all.

Hmm,

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations means you cannot mislead a consumer. This means leaving out important information, such as the need to bid for the property instead of what is advertised current (both a PCW and PW price). This would lead me to the conclusion what is happening is a breach of the Unfair Trading regulations.

Hmm,

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations means you cannot mislead a consumer. This means leaving out important information, such as the need to bid for the property instead of what is advertised current (both a PCW and PW price). This would lead me to the conclusion what is happening is a breach of the Unfair Trading regulations.

You're assuming that changing the pricing structure was the letting agents intention all along.

Maybe the landlord has changed their minds after seeing how many people are interested in the property, and they now feel that they made a mistake by setting the original price too low?

the private rented market in this country is spiraling out of control.. landlords charging £500 pcm for a 2 bed flat, when half a mile down road you can get a 3bed house for £450.. i know area does count allot but what you have these days is people buying 4bed houses... making it into 4 bedsits with shared facilities charging people (mainly the government) £90 per week per bedsit at nearly £1500 per month for what otherwise would be a £600 a month house. yeah thats "business" but its taking away from a family that could have needed the space. not everyone can afford to buy a house, and with the council not building more houses. those who cant afford to buy will be pushed towards these money grabbers

Edited by adz1512

Hmm,

Seems unlikely to me as an advertised price is not in any way binding.

You're assuming that changing the pricing structure was the letting agents intention all along.

Maybe the landlord has changed their minds after seeing how many people are interested in the property, and they now feel that they made a mistake by setting the original price too low?

Its the agent who advertises the price for their client. The price is still advertised for the original price despite being told on Saturday the landlord wants people to bid on the price. There is no mention of this process on the site , just the PCM or PW price.

---------- Post added 02-11-2015 at 11:42 ----------

Seems unlikely to me as an advertised price is not in any way binding.

No, they can withdraw the property from sale/the market and re-advertise with he correct information. This is not happening. The property is still advertised with the original price. This is misleading which is the essence of the Unfair Trading Regulations I quoted.