Some people on holiday in sheffield on BBC2 now

Oh dear some people are giving a very false impression of sheffield....

Totally agree with that comment, some people have no idea how to have a good time.

No i think it was bbc 2,but i could have been wrong...

Are they Roma holiday makers ??

Do you mean BBC1?

It was indeed BBC 1.

Home Away from Home

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06h3326/home-away-from-home-series-2-10-south-yorkshire-devon

Are they Roma holiday makers ??

Nope, very upper middle-class types from Devon (via Surrey).

The opening spiel by the narrator did "big up" the city to a ridiculous degree. I really must visit the "Sheffield" he talked about. Once trans-dimensional travel becomes affordable that is, as they were clearly talking about a Sheffield from a parallel universe.

The couple visiting did have family connections with the city and came with a positive attitude towards the place. They gave us 7.5 out of ten, which was pretty generous considering that they live in Dawlish.

The "false impression" of Sheffield the OP mentions must be that it's an interesting place to visit, which was the impression conveyed. I can only surmise that our tourism guys slipped them a few bob in a brown envelope.

Oh dear some people are giving a very false impression of sheffield....

I wonder how many people would have been on here in support of Sheffield if the BBC had 'told it like it is' and painted the very negative picture that you lot would seem to have preferred?

There's good and bad in all places - what's good for one person is bad for another.

For example, from the programme...

... it's nice to live in a terraced house in Sheffield, because in a gated apartment block in Dawlish you can't keep a cat!

Unbelievable? But there it is...

If you're not happy living in Sheffield you have the option to move to where the grass is greener and to somewhere that better suits your needs...

... or you put up with the bad (and maybe rant on a local internet forum), and make the most of the good like the vast majority of us do! :roll:

Sheffield is sorely lacking in the tourism area.

Its a bit like Bochum and other Ruhr cities in Germany. Big cities that developed because of industry. Functional with all the big city facilities but a little dull and trying hard to make the best of it.

What we do have is the stunning peak district right on our doorstep and reasonably good transport links into it. It's a unique selling point that no other city really has but we make so little of it.

I think places should always be shown in their true light

I actually watched this. I thought it was a pretty reasonable picture of Sheffield, and the couple seemed pleased to be in a place with a bit of life and choice of things to do and places to go. I mean places like Dawlish are ok for two weeks summer hols, but would you really want to live there? Their apartment didn't even have a sea view, fgs! ;)

I suppose if you live in somewhere like Pitsmoor or Parson Cross it might seem like a false picture, but for the rest of us, it was all pretty typical. A lot of green open space and trees, quiet streets and decent eating places. I'm happy enough with Sheffield in comparison with many other places I've been.