Be as cruel as you like!

NewBiz

This is a rant about RPSCA.

About 3 yrs ago I reported 2 shetlands that had massively overgrown feet, and had rubbed much of their hair off, probably through lice. I had confronted the owner, whose excuse was that 'the farrier had broken his arm' ( the level of overgrowth would have taken 12mths + to achieve) and they were losing their winter coats (I've had horses for 35 yrs + so know what a spring moult looks like)

A couple of weeks ago I rode past and noticed one of the ponies was rocked back on its heels, its feet were massively overgrown, and it was constantly lifting one back leg then another to try to relieve the pain. Again confronted the owner, this time more lies about a mystery disease that made the feet grow that way, so reported them again.

Just spoken to RPSCA inspector dealing with the case only to discover that reports of neglect/cruelty are wiped from their records after 12mths, so provided you leave it at least 367 days between abuse you're starting with a clean slate as far as they're concerned. She hadn't been aware of my 1st report. She hasn't actually seen the ponies since the farrier has supposedly been, and doesn't intend to and it would take another similar report in under a yr for them even to issue a verbal warning!

She has helpfully asked me to keep an eye on the ponies though.

I'm disgusted with RSPCA and needed to share/vent my feelings.

Thanks for reading

The RSPCA are useless unless they have a camera crew with them for publicity to get even more donations to sit on, or waste in useless court cases.

No longer fit for purpose and I don't understand why the local people raising funds for them don't get on their case about it.

The RSPCA are useless unless they have a camera crew with them for publicity to get even more donations to sit on, or waste in useless court cases.

No longer fit for purpose and I don't understand why the local people raising funds for them don't get on their case about it.

Agree. Every time I've rung them they've asked for a donation and didn't seem to like it when I explained why I wouldn't be parting! I got my 2 cats from the local branch, and I think they do a fair job, it's the national 'helpline' that's useless.

Make more regular reports to the RSPCA then.

or go and take a picture of the pony and a picture of the owner, plaster it all over Facebook and try and shame them into action.

a. It's not my job to monitor cases of cruelty, that's what I had thought RSPCA was there for.

b. It takes months for a pony's hooves to grow to the point it would be considered neglect by RSPCA

c. How do you propose I get photos of the owner?

d. The actual owner looks about mid 50's and her mother mid 70's so not convinced they'll be on Facebook.

Thanks for the suggestions all the same

a. It's not my job to monitor cases of cruelty, that's what I had thought RSPCA was there for.

b. It takes months for a pony's hooves to grow to the point it would be considered neglect by RSPCA

c. How do you propose I get photos of the owner?

d. The actual owner looks about mid 50's and her mother mid 70's so not convinced they'll be on Facebook.

Thanks for the suggestions all the same

a. The RSPCA can't monitor every single animal in the country, they need people to put in reports to track abuse

b. I doubt the RSPCA call centre has any knowledge of Equine hoof growth time

c. shove a camera right in their face

d. They don't need to be on Facebook to be publically shamed, but if you think they need to know everyone is talking about them you could stick some posters up in the local area.

a. The RSPCA can't monitor every single animal in the country, they need people to put in reports to track abuse

b. I doubt the RSPCA call centre has any knowledge of Equine hoof growth time

c. shove a camera right in their face

d. They don't need to be on Facebook to be publically shamed, but if you think they need to know everyone is talking about them you could stick some posters up in the local area.

a. Agreed, I've reported them twice

b. the person in the call centre actually was knowledgeable about horse hooves, but that's irrelevant

c. I don't want to get punched or arrested

d. I never said I 'think they need to know everyone is talking about them' you just dreamed that up

RSPCA are often stretched by attending hoax calls to I have several friends who have been visited by them for absolutely no reason of cruelty but by somebody not liking what they are doing ! Its really hard for them to judge from phone calls

Please take a moment to imagine what it would be like without them. I can guarantee things would be a lot worse.

They DO do good and DO protect animals in this country. No they are not perfect but then please name a large organisation that never screws up and doesn't have any stupid policies?

I don't know why they remove records after 12 months, but it could well be due to some ridiculous data laws or god knows what that's outside of their control. Perhaps you could write to them and ask? Not really sure what ranting on a forum is going to achieve.

And yes the RSPCA have their time wasted constantly. My other half's dad has been visited several times because he had spiteful neighbours who make up rubbish. Thankfully he's moved house now.