Born in Sheffield played for the BLADES

canadablade

Seems we have a side that would do the DOUBLE over Alan58 owls side he picked :hihi::hihi:

George LONG

Len BADGER

Frank BARLOW

Kyle WALKER

Kyle NAUGHTON

Ben DOANE

Simon STAINROD

Carl BRADSHAW

Billy SHARP

Alan WOODWARD

Mitch WARD

Jack LESTER

Harry McGUIRE

David FORD

A few played for both but, seeing as Alan didn't select them they are on the DOUBLE winning BLADES side

No wonder Cloughie didn,t stand a chance he must have took your advice CB, you got players playing out of position, and by the way you owe me the transfer fee for David Ford.:hihi::hihi:

You mean Carlton Palmer,who played for England...?

Just remind me how many international caps Dane Whitehouse got again...

This is going off track from what the OP said I don't see the same happening on the corresponding Wednesday thread.

Yes Carlton did play for England but couldn't enter either local born squad in these threads, interestingly Howard Wilkinson is another one who could be named for both teams [not for a double winning one] but wasn't good enough for either in my opinion.

Edited by bobcob

I think a Blade brought Palmer into the thread as well as bringing Wednesday into it.

As for double winning players there's a few of us from a couple of years back I'd just about let them clean the boots.

That raises another question was their any Sheffield born players in that side?

As for Dane Whitehouse anyone saying he wasn't a decent player is miles off the mark in my opinion, he climbed from the third to first tier in consecutive seasons and always gave 100% his career was cut short so we will never know how far he could have gone he's well worthy of a mention.

That raises another question was their any Sheffield born players in that side?

As for Dane Whitehouse anyone saying he wasn't a decent player is miles off the mark in my opinion, he climbed from the third to first tier in consecutive seasons and always gave 100% his career was cut short so we will never know how far he could have gone he's well worthy of a mention.

I remember a programme with Vinnie Jones when he spoke of the booking for the foul on Whitehouse after just few seconds. Not sure if it is still the fastest booking ever but i'm sure it was for some time. Anyway Jones said that his job was to clatter anyone who was a threat, to rough them up a bit and take them off their game. He went on to say that the lad (Whitehouse) had some ability about him, he was pacey and tricky and could make things happen. This is why he went straight in to rough him up. Get in the mind of good players and the wobble.

A good few neutrals admired Whitehouse, he had obvious ability and when he wasn't scoring (most notably against our neighbours) he was making goals. Great player who should have played a lot longer than what he did.

I would go something like this

Long

Badger Walker Maguire Shaw (G)

Woodward Whitehouse Stainrod Bradshaw

Sharp Brook

If Dronfield was included on the basis of it being urbanised to accommodate the Rate Dodgers from Sheffield then G Cahill would have made the team with unfortunately Leonard having drop to the bench.

We do seem to have had a glut of fullbacks over the years with local lads such as Kyle Naughton, Bernard Shaw, Cec Coldwell and possibly the late Mick Heaton who I remember living on Toll Bar Road on the sidelines as well as Kyle Walker being accommodated at Centre Half. Other worthy mentions are the Hoylands ( Father Tommy and son Jamie) and The De La Salle old boys of The Fenoughty Brothers ( albeit from Thybergh) and Ian Holmes.

Although not Sheffield the following were from the vicinity and nurtured from the likes of Don & Dearne boys in the 60's. Alan Hodgkinson ( Laughton Common) Mick Jones (Shireoaks) and Frank Barlow and my former favourite Geoff Sammons ( Mexborough)

Canadablade!

You have missed one of my favourite ever players off all time out! Where is DANE WHITEHOUSE? :o

The lad ripped Wednesday apart on his own, he has to be in that side!

Sorry mate I actually got home last night having done this at work and thought I had left DANE out and he would be the Captain , also forgot to add JOE SHAW who somebody else pulled me up on , Bobcob is totally correct about Dane if that despicable *&&^% hadn't cut his career short who knows how far the kid could have gone.

owls trying to spoil the thread :hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 29-07-2015 at 07:12 ----------

You mean Carlton Palmer,who played for England...?

Just remind me how many international caps Dane Whitehouse got again...

Carthorse Palmer , shows how bad English football was :D

Sorry mate I actually got home last night having done this at work and thought I had left DANE out and he would be the Captain , also forgot to add JOE SHAW who somebody else pulled me up on , Bobcob is totally correct about Dane if that despicable *&&^% hadn't cut his career short who knows how far the kid could have gone.

owls trying to spoil the thread :hihi::hihi::hihi:[color="Silver

Joe Shaw was born in County Durham

owls trying to spoil the thread :hihi::hihi::hihi:[color="Silver

Joe Shaw was born in County Durham

One of the Shaws lived on Adlington Cres Southey,I think it was Graham.

owls trying to spoil the thread :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Just responding to a little dig from one of your red and white chums thats all

---------- Post added 29-07-2015 at 07:12 ----------

Carthorse Palmer , shows how bad English football was :D

Wednesdayites know what a great player Palmer was whilst at Hillsborough...wouldnt expect you to understand and your comment just proves it...