Do People not think before crossing

This is why certain zones need to become 20Mph. You can't account for some people, whether pensioners or small children and everything in between. (Chinese students come to mind, the new Summerclass group has started and I've already had a few near misses around West Street...) In busy pedestrian areas the speed needs to be taken out.

We get the same problem on the roads by Glasgow University. Chinese students with a death wish.

I think that some of the problem is caused by the practise of colouring the road red where the pavement dips. This gives some pedestrians the belief that they are on a crossing which confers the same legal rights as a zebra crossing.

I agree.

Several years ago, soon after a similar "crossing" point was added at Crookes, about 100 yards above the Grindstone pub, I remember a representative of SCC being interviewed (in the Star, I presume, but can't remember). He was basically criticizing (mostly old) people for using it as if it were a zebra crossing, and putting themselves in danger. He failed to understand that in many cases people do not know what it is. it was clearly put there to aid crossing, so they assumed they should cross there. He just didn't appreciate that they wouldn't know exactly what it meant.

There are plenty of drivers (supposedly trained) who do not bother to learn what a "new" feature or marking means. It is very unlikely that a pedestrian (especially one who doesn't drive) would ever find out, or even know how to find out.

Perhaps I'm just being silly, but have you checked that the indicator is working?

Why would someone check, see an indicating car, and then step in front of it and trust that the driver is taking notice... No one sensible would risk injury like that would they?

Are you really asking that question Cyclone? As idiots are on foot as well as drive cars, ride bikes etc.

Not to mention they may be doing things by rote, without actually thinking about what they are doing. Just like many drivers do who learnt the rubbish mirror/signal/manoeuvre habit in driving lessons, when the process should be mirror/think-do I need to signal and is it even safe to manoeuvre. Which is what is taught in the advanced driving classes, when that should manner of driving be taught from the word go.

Edited by jezzyjj

there's 60 / 70s nostalgia for you...hardly a parked car in sight and certainly none sprawled across the pavements.

I do prefer the ones done by scary glam rockers, Les Gray and Alvin Stardust

Ok then quick question. If pedestrian crossings are so ineffective. What is the point in having them given how much they cost?

Where did i say they were so ineffective?? See there you go again making stuff up, just like you made up the details of how that poor women was killed by a dangerous driver who made no attempt to not run her over and some how declared it was her fault.

The point is you declare she would still be alive if she had used the one near to her, the damn driver didnt bother to stop for a person in the road why would he stop for a little red light.

We get the same problem on the roads by Glasgow University. Chinese students with a death wish.

The Chinese students in dear ol' Sheffield are better.

They do look before they step off the pavement. . . but unfortunately in the wrong direction since we drive on t'other side of the road.

:help:

I very nearly collided with a Chinese girl this evening on my home from work who actually waited until the traffic lights turned green before she stepped out into the road infront of my car !

Maybe the language of colours is different in China ?