Quitting alcohol, has anyone done it?

I would just like to say well done to you TJC1 for having the determination to cut back. However you do it, and there's been a lot of good advice on here, just keep going. Even if you make a mistake, just start again. Keep it up, you will feel so pleased when you are more under control.

I would just like to say well done to you TJC1 for having the determination to cut back. However you do it, and there's been a lot of good advice on here, just keep going. Even if you make a mistake, just start again. Keep it up, you will feel so pleased when you are more under control.

Thank you for the support :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 14:35 ----------

Breaking a life long habit is scary

Firstly thanks for your concern. However youve made a lot of assumptions without knowing any background.

Im a big guy. As previously stated. This makes a difference.

I dont drink pints. I couldnt drink 8 pints a night.

Im aware of the list and im almost clear on most points.

I admit to being less productive and less healthy when drinking regularly thats why im stopping.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 14:24 ----------

Sorry i overestimated units. Its actually 70-80 units. And thats regularly.

It wasn't an attack, and I hope you didn't take it that way (I don't think you did).

70 - 80 in a non pint format is still what, 80 shots a week, or between 8 and 10 bottles of wine.

So more than a bottle of wine every day. Or 12 shots a day. That's over a 3rd of a standard bottle of spirits every day!

Something that a lot of big blokes get fooled by is their resistance. They can drink more, for awhile, but ultimately their kidneys and liver aren't that much bigger and they will eventually start to suffer from severe problems.

Anyhow, its your body so your choice!

I have thought about it and dont think so. I just have a high tolerance and drink socially.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 13:50 ----------

I average 1 a night, more at weekends. Its surprising how quickly one can adapt. Not healthy in long term however.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 14:04 ----------

For perspective im a 16.5 stones guy. I know females half my weight who binge drink more than i ever could or would.

Health wise its not good to drink 100 units but i feel its completely achievable to stop drinking. And did so last night despite being at a pub.

And why do you think you have a high tolerance?

You're in denial old chap. Don't take this the wrong way.:)

It wasn't an attack, and I hope you didn't take it that way (I don't think you did).

70 - 80 in a non pint format is still what, 80 shots a week, or between 8 and 10 bottles of wine.

So more than a bottle of wine every day. Or 12 shots a day. That's over a 3rd of a standard bottle of spirits every day!

Yes, thats correct. Not one size fits all.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 23:10 ----------

And why do you think you have a high tolerance?

You're in denial old chap. Don't take this the wrong way.:)

Why do you think otherwise? Do you have medical training?

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 23:13 ----------

Something that a lot of big blokes get fooled by is their resistance. They can drink more, for awhile, but ultimately their kidneys and liver aren't that much bigger and they will eventually start to suffer from severe problems.

Anyhow, its your body so your choice!

Weve mentioned the health risks several times. You seem to be saying 80 units per week will effect an 8st female the same as a 16.5 stone bloke?

What is a "shot" ?

Is it what I would call a short or a double ?

Yes, thats correct. Not one size fits all.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 23:10 ----------

Why do you think otherwise? Do you have medical training?

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 23:13 ----------

Weve mentioned the health risks several times. You seem to be saying 80 units per week will effect an 8st female the same as a 16.5 stone bloke?

You might not feel the effects to much, but that doesn't mean there are none. Men tend to suffer the same symptoms eventually (liver problems, nerve damage amongst others), it just tends to take a bit longer than for women. There are other health consequences (addiction, brain damage) that don't seem to be connected to a person's size or sex.

A sure-fire way of telling if you have a problem with drink is if you have a problem not drinking. Please do take this seriously. If you've been drinking at this level for only a few months it might be relatively easy to cut down, you might not even have to give up altogether. If you let it carry on, you'll have a much more serious battle on your hands and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

You might not feel the effects to much, but that doesn't mean there are none. Men tend to suffer the same symptoms eventually (liver problems, nerve damage amongst others), it just tends to take a bit longer than for women. There are other health consequences (addiction, brain damage) that don't seem to be connected to a person's size or sex.

A sure-fire way of telling if you have a problem with drink is if you have a problem not drinking. Please do take this seriously. If you've been drinking at this level for only a few months it might be relatively easy to cut down, you might not even have to give up altogether. If you let it carry on, you'll have a much more serious battle on your hands and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I dont have a problem not drinking. Its been explained earlier in the thread. Never blacked out. I drink socially only, and only in evening. I do have a high tolerance - physically speaking - its not rocket science.

I absolutely agree its not safe levels and thus am cutting down hopefully to stop.