Quitting alcohol, has anyone done it?

Although you're drinking over the recommended amount of alcohol it doesn't seem that you're alcohol dependent ... certainly not if you can manage a day or so without. More like a binge drinker if you ask me. Personally, I'd just cut down (as others, and yourself have mentioned) over a period of time.

You can only cut down if you really want to though ... sounds obvious, but is very important.

Good luck with it. :)

Yes, well over! although i did read an article which states a bottle of wine a night is better for you than abstaining.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/a-bottle-of-wine-a-day-is-not-bad-for-you-and-abstaining-is-worse-than-drinking-scientist-claims-9271010.html

a leading scientist in the field has claimed drinking just over a bottle a day would do no harm to your health.

Former World Health Organisation alcohol expert Dr Kari Poikolainen has analysed decades of research into the effects of alcohol on the human body, The Daily Mail reports.

His conclusion - drinking is only harmful when you consume more than 13 units a day - that’s four to five pints of beer or more than a bottle of wine - which typically contains around 10 units.

He also believes that drinking more than the current recommended daily intake may in fact be healthier than being a teetotaler.

will keep going. cheers.:)

Well thanks...at the risk of repeating myself, im aware of the health risks. its a concern. There has been some good suggestions and appreciated.

I was responding to the earlier posts. I do think the level makes a difference. As in drinking in a controlled way but just too much is different from drinking all tines of day to get drunk and black out. Which is far more dangerous imo.

Apologies if I misunderstood. I'd got the impression that you thought that if you weren't feeling the effects to much it wasn't as serious.

I've got to say though, I'm worried about you.

So you're not drinking until you pass out, or at all times of the day.

The people who do drink like this - how do you think they got to that state? They probably started just like everyone else, a few socially, then progressed to regular drinking, maybe at home. Maybe drinking every night at home? It's a progressive situation.

The way your posts come across seem like you're finding it difficult to cut down, which would indicate to me that you shouldn't underestimate the situation.

I'm posting this out of genuine concern.

Yes, well over! although i did read an article which states a bottle of wine a night is better for you than abstaining.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/a-bottle-of-wine-a-day-is-not-bad-for-you-and-abstaining-is-worse-than-drinking-scientist-claims-9271010.html

a leading scientist in the field has claimed drinking just over a bottle a day would do no harm to your health.

Former World Health Organisation alcohol expert Dr Kari Poikolainen has analysed decades of research into the effects of alcohol on the human body, The Daily Mail reports.

His conclusion - drinking is only harmful when you consume more than 13 units a day - that’s four to five pints of beer or more than a bottle of wine - which typically contains around 10 units.

He also believes that drinking more than the current recommended daily intake may in fact be healthier than being a teetotaler.

will keep going. cheers.:)

QED ... just as I said ... 'You can only cut down if you really want to though ... sounds obvious, but is very important.'

It's pretty easy to find stuff contrary to popular reason on the internet ... stuff that suits your needs.:P

Believe me, it's not good advice.

Apologies if I misunderstood. I'd got the impression that you thought that if you weren't feeling the effects to much it wasn't as serious.

I've got to say though, I'm worried about you.

So you're not drinking until you pass out, or at all times of the day.

The people who do drink like this - how do you think they got to that state? They probably started just like everyone else, a few socially, then progressed to regular drinking, maybe at home. Maybe drinking every night at home? It's a progressive situation.

The way your posts come across seem like you're finding it difficult to cut down, which would indicate to me that you shouldn't underestimate the situation.

I'm posting this out of genuine concern.

thanks for your concern. I have had less this week, so far so good.

---------- Post added 24-07-2015 at 14:14 ----------

QED ... just as I said ... 'You can only cut down if you really want to though ... sounds obvious, but is very important.'

It's pretty easy to find stuff contrary to popular reason on the internet ... stuff that suits your needs.:P

Believe me, it's not good advice.

i am doing this for my own reasons (i think), i just wanted to highlight the dangers at that level might be a little overstated on this thread.

Of course because you find yourself needing more to reach same level, and if this level is increasing naturally, it becomes a problem.

then theres the feelings of guilt, health and weight suffering, financially...a lot of good reasons to cut down and dry out.

Edited by TJC1

thanks for your concern. I have had less this week, so far so good.

Sorry if I've come over all sanctimonious - I didn't mean to! Hope it all goes well. Main thing is that you get it under control before it does get too serious. Best of luck.

one of the main worries is guilt. much like a smoker who spends a lot on cigarettes. its selfish and a waste of money, which could be better spent on family, holidays etc.

---------- Post added 24-07-2015 at 14:22 ----------

Sorry if I've come over all sanctimonious - I didn't mean to! Hope it all goes well. Main thing is that you get it under control before it does get too serious. Best of luck.

no, you are correct to say that. Sometimes its easy to be blaze about it and all of a sudden there is a problem....after all thats what happened in the first place.:rolleyes:

Alcohol is a powerful drug more than people realize, its socially acceptable ' go on have a drink it won't hurt you' the cold truth it does, not only health wise but emotionally too. Cutting down is not easy your mind will want it but your body will not . I been there had a few knocks in life that most people should never go though made the mistake of turning to drink but been me it was the hard stuff I turned too it felt good the pain was drunk away but its just an fantasy the problems was still their in the morning. I weened myself off it bit by bit its hard . But its a battle everywhere you go its there in the supermarket, ads, corner shops and pubs the truth is it will lurk in the shadow's waiting for you to slip. Good luck on your journey.

Alcohol is a powerful drug more than people realize, its socially acceptable ' go on have a drink it won't hurt you' the cold truth it does, not only health wise but emotionally too. Cutting down is not easy your mind will want it but your body will not . I been there had a few knocks in life that most people should never go though made the mistake of turning to drink but been me it was the hard stuff I turned too it felt good the pain was drunk away but its just an fantasy the problems was still their in the morning. I weened myself off it bit by bit its hard . But its a battle everywhere you go its there in the supermarket, ads, corner shops and pubs the truth is it will lurk in the shadow's waiting for you to slip. Good luck on your journey.

Thanks for sharing your story buddy. Im glad you knocked it on the head and hope you are now on way to recovery.

---------- Post added 25-07-2015 at 18:31 ----------

Yesterday was a bad day. 17 units. This is harder than i thought and bit depressed today :(

Thanks for sharing your story buddy. Im glad you knocked it on the head and hope you are now on way to recovery.

Yesterday was a bad day. 17 units. This is harder than i thought and bit depressed today :(

Small steps, and you will probably have relapses. Just pick yourself up and keep trying.

Weekends, for whatever reason, are always harder, even when you are alone at home (not that I know whether that is the case).

Try and work towards that one or two days a week off, it is better than counting the units per night as it will show you that you can function without.

Weekends, for whatever reason, are always harder, even when you are alone at home (not that I know whether that is the case).

Try and work towards that one or two days a week off, it is better than counting the units per night as it will show you that you can function without.

Well weeks over. Reduction and almost 2 days free. Its a start.

Will try at least 4 clear days next week. Picked up the exercise a bit more, happy about that and aim to increase in coming week.

Take it a day and week at a time.

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 18:17 ----------

Small steps, and you will probably have relapses. Just pick yourself up and keep trying.

That means a lot. Helps to stay accountable. It is said habits form in 30 days, so that's the aim.

Well weeks over. Reduction and almost 2 days free. Its a start.

Will try at least 4 clear days next week. Picked up the exercise a bit more, happy about that and aim to increase in coming week.

Take it a day and week at a time.

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 18:17 ----------

That means a lot. Helps to stay accountable. It is said habits form in 30 days, so that's the aim.

Stick to two continuous days next week, don't rush it!