What was the name of the Gents' outfitters in Hillsborough?

Any one remember "Peter Pell" gents outfitters at Hillsborough corner?.......first band I ever played in ...."Steve J Bond and the Premiums".....would you ever believe !!! were suited by Peter Pell, I think the suits were cut in the "Italian style".with 'Winklepickers to match!..............early 60s I should add,

I bought a made to measure "Italian suit" at Burton's Hillsborough corner in the early 60s my second from them my first being in the "Teddy boy" style.My Teddy boy was grey with fine black pinstripes,drape finger tip length jacket ,15 inch bottom trousers topped off with crepe soles beetle crusher shoes!.I thought I was the bee,s knees,my Italian was Brown with black cheques,3button jacket and winkle picker shoes !.I seem to recollect above Burton's was a dance hall,I never used it myself I was into the Memo,Roxy and the Locarno in those fondly remembered days!.

I bought a made to measure "Italian suit" at Burton's Hillsborough corner in the early 60s my second from them my first being in the "Teddy boy" style.My Teddy boy was grey with fine black pinstripes,drape finger tip length jacket ,15 inch bottom trousers topped off with crepe soles beetle crusher shoes!.I thought I was the bee,s knees,my Italian was Brown with black cheques,3button jacket and winkle picker shoes !.I seem to recollect above Burton's was a dance hall,I never used it myself I was into the Memo,Roxy and the Locarno in those fondly remembered days!.
..........bet the Beetlecrushers were more comfortable than the Winklepickers!

..........bet the Beetlecrushers were more comfortable than the Winklepickers!

Thereby lies a tale,if anyone purchased "Beetlecrushers" they would know about the surface of the crepe soles,these were very slippy when new as I found out one day!.Our old cottage had a cellar with a large marble topped table at the bottom on which we placed bottles of milk and soft drinks ect. to keep them nice and cold!.This certain day my mother asked me to go down and fetch a bottle of lemonade for her,I was wearing my new crepe soles,as soon as I went for the second stone step my feet shot straight from under me and I went down the steps hitting every one with my back!.Reaching the bottom I was badly winded and couldn,t speak or breath and just laid there,my mother was very sympathetic shouting"What are you buggering about at hurry up will you!"to which I mouthed a few latin verbs at her but no noise came out of my mouth as I was in a right old state!.:confused::help:

Can't offhand remember Peter Pells at Hillsborough corner mossdog, but I know there was an outfitters by that name. You're right about the dance hall old tup.My wife was only saying yesterday that her mum & dad used to go there.

Any one remember "Peter Pell" gents outfitters at Hillsborough corner?.......first band I ever played in ...."Steve J Bond and the Premiums".....would you ever believe !!! were suited by Peter Pell, I think the suits were cut in the "Italian style".with 'Winklepickers to match!..............early 60s I should add,

I remember Peter Pell's but I can't remember if it was on the corner or not.

I remember Peter Pell's but I can't remember if it was on the corner or not.
.......opposite corner to Burtons(Holme Lane Middlewood Road corner).......where Young Tup got his Teddy Boy outfit from!

Peter Pell was at No 1 Middlewood Road in c. 1962-1972. Here is a scan from the 1965 Kelly's Directory showing the Parker brothers' shops and other businesses at that end of Middlewood Road..:)

Edited by hillsbro

Used to have lunches at Pauls Pantry near the bridge and at the Chinese restaurant - Bluebell??

Used to have lunches at Pauls Pantry near the bridge and at the Chinese restaurant - Bluebell??
...........Bluebird!

Thanks Hillsbro for your usual efficient self!

---------- Post added 12-07-2015 at 14:34 ----------

There were actually two brothers who inherited two adjacent properties from their dad. Billy Parker had the gents' outfitters and his brother had the jeweller's shop next door. They fell out big time in c. 1955 and never spoke to each other again. In 1966 I got myself kitted out for college at Billy Parker's. The jeweller's is still there but hasn't been in the Parker family for many years.
Peter Hayman....the late'Pip"Haymans son, owns Parkers the jewellers.

...Peter Hayman....the late'Pip"Haymans son, owns Parkers the jewellers.
The business actually has its origin in a pawnbroker's shop owned by William Parker (1840-1896). He had worked as assistant to a pawnbroker and set up his own business at 17 Middlewood Road (then called Langsett Road) in 1883. He and his family lived over the shop, and his son William Hugh Parker (1870-1935) inherited the business. William (known as "Billy") moved to Marlcliffe Road in c. 1908, and also worked as a tailor/outfitter from home. When the old police station at 15 Middlewood Road closed in c. 1918 he purchased the property and opened the gents' outfitters shop there. His older son John (known as Billy like his father) eventually ran this business and the younger Arnold ran the jeweller's shop. Edited by hillsbro

I assume the tailors was above Davys shop, going by the numbers.

I assume the tailors was above Davys shop, going by the numbers.
It must have been a mistake in the 1965 directory as Davy's was next door. Peter Pell's was in the building that had formerly been the Hillsborough Inn, No 2 Holme Lane (here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo). The 1971 directory correctly shows Peter Pell at No 2 Holme Lane.