What do the police do?

After having my car rammed by an Artic today, the police eventually turned up and told me that they couldn't do anything about it, as it was my word against the truck driver's. The truck driver claimed I was in his blind spot, when I was actually around 15 feet in front of him, before he accelerated into me.

I offered the policeman (community support officer) the footage from my dashcam, but he refused it saying that they wouldn't prosecute unless they actually saw it themselves.

So, as I very rarely see the police on the city's roads, what do they actually do?

What did you want the other driver to be prosecuted for? Your insurance company will sort it out and will want the footage from your dash cam.

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 11:05 ----------

Budget cuts sadly. Community Support Officers are on lower salaries. Horrible reality. Although, many of them have brought more value than a full qualified police officer. Their job is to try to engage with local communities to help lower crime by being friendly and supportive, offering advice rather than arresting. When that approach doesn't work, in come the police with arrest warrants etc. It's been pretty effective in many rough estates by building links with the community and helping them start to see the police as not the enemy.

Most PCSO's are on a higher salary than a new Police Constable.

I think you will find that a member of the public can only make a citizens arrest if they witness a crime being committed.

And does that somehow contradict what I said? :huh:

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 11:24 ----------

Most PCSO's are on a higher salary than a new Police Constable.

There's very little scope for it to increase though.

And does that somehow contradict what I said? :huh:

It informs people that they can not bypass the warranted police officer and just arrest anyone at anytime for historic crimes.

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 12:01 ----------

There's very little scope for it to increase though.

Maybe you could give us the facts on comparative pay scales.

Edited by esme
quote tags

If you are that interested why not do the research yourself ?

Google really can be your best friend.

Regards

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/policecommunitysupportofficer.aspx

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/police_officer_salary.htm

http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/special-constables/index.html

There you go - a few clicks and the information is there waiting for you.

Edited by Daven

Ok appologies for that but why give them a special name then? Whats the difference between Community Support Officers and a Police Officer?

Just for clarity -

Police Constable (PC) - Full powers and paid salary.

Special Police Constable (SPC or SC) - Full powers but volunteer and carry out the role in their spare time outside or their full time employment.

Police Community Support Officer (PCSO) - Do not have the office of constable and are not warranted. You will notice they do not carry cuffs, baton, or spray. They are able to issue certain tickets now though.

Regards

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 12:28 ----------

Regards

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/policecommunitysupportofficer.aspx

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/police_officer_salary.htm

There you go - a few clicks and the information is there waiting for you.

Thankyou, so a police constable is on considerably more pay than a PCSO and much more opportunity to progress in promotion and salary.

What did you want the other driver to be prosecuted for? Your insurance company will sort it out and will want the footage from your dash cam.

I was just hoping that accelerating into a car with a huge truck was illegal in some way. Perhaps driving without due care/ Dangerous driving? but it does seem to be acceptable these days to drive round however you like and wreck other people's property and indeed lives.

This is where I was, parked correctly in the left hand lane to turn left.

This is the truck parked behind me, at the same time frame

Then he accelerated into me

Bang

For all of you saying that there was no crime committed, are you actually ok with this sort of thing? Is in acceptable behaviour to just drive around in these huge vehicles without looking where you are going?

The more that people get away with this sort of thing the more people are going to be injured and indeed killed on our roads!

Edited by Old Grump
quote tags

It was an accident - the truck driver made a mistake and if all you say is true your insurance will pay out.

No one is perfect and I guess the truck driver is very sorry.

Move on mate.

Hmmm, hard to tell without seeing the moving footage, but your pictures at first glance seem to tell a story about a lorry driver who just set off in his lane thinking you would already have set off and turned by the time he got to where you were. A bit careless, but I'm not sure it's worthy of prosecution.

Your first post made it sound something out of Duel.