Why is Netherthorpe Rd suddenly so busy?

Apparently it was a broken down vehicle blocking a lane off near Shalesmoor. I'd taken an alternative rat run as soon as I saw what awaited my exit from University roundabout, luckily.

That explains this morning but not other mornings this week, and evenings are worse too - Monday was in particular.

Some people have been commenting that there's a lane closed at the station which is having a knock on effect around the area but I'm not sure. It's quite a way from the station. Took my husband an hour and a half to get into work on Monday that normally takes 20 mins

I was wondering what was happening on Upper Hanover up to Brookhill roundabout yesterday afternoon at about 14.30pm. It was backed all the way onto the roundabout where Waitrose is, blocking traffic coming off Eccy Rd. Don't know if it was queuing past Brook hill onto Netherthorpe too but never seen it that busy in the middle of the afternoon before. Going the other way was completely clear.

Hanover Way has been affected by the closure of Clarkson Street and tends to snarl up at random times. It could also be related to the chaos that ensues when Weston Park Hospital car park gets full and traffic backs up Whitham Road.

Why don't you all just use the buses or trams?

I can't speak for others but for me personally:

- Trams don't go from or to where I need to go

- Buses would involve 2 changes and take around 3 times longer than driving to my usual place of work

- I occasionally need a car for work purposes

- I like my own space

- Buses get stuck in the same jams as cars anyway in most cases

Its about time that there was some sort of independent analysis of and accountability for the increasing amount of avoidable traffic hold ups in Sheffield. If the council is found to be deliberately trying to frustrate people out of cars and onto public transport then the relevant council department should be cleared out and put into special measures by central government.

---------- Post added 24-06-2015 at 14:30 ----------

Why don't you all just use the buses or trams?

Imagine if EVERYONE did that? it would be like this http://lolindian.com/images/2012/June/24/4fe6e885344dc.jpg