9 month old cat stuck 100ft up a tree

We're just on our way back to Sheffield as our friends who have been looking after our cats have just found one of them stuck 100ft up a tree in the woods behind our house. I can only assume he's chased a squirrel or been spooked by a dog or fox. The RSPCA have suggeated leaving food at the base of the tree. Accrding to our friends the tree is very straight and tall with few branches on the way up. We're not quite sure what to do but if anyone knows any budding climbers who like saving cats please PM me. We'remin Millhouses, S7. Many thanks for any ideas or previous successful experiences.

He got up, he'll get down.

If anyone goes up after it the cat will just go higher. They can climb trees but struggle to get down (shape of their claws) it will soon figure it out, they aren't totally stupid. When it gets to a reasonable height it will jump/drop and land on its feet.

Cats do it all the time

people this cat needs help i would go up the tree. but i have a bad back

Follow the instructions given by the RSPCA, but if you've had no joy in a day or so then ring them again. Most cats do manage to get down on their own. Good luck.

Main thing is, don't be making a fuss at the bottom of the tree. At least not for a while at this early stage. A freaked out cat will be further frightened by people making a fuss

Edited by Squiggs

Follow the instructions given by the RSPCA, but if you've had no joy in a day or so then ring them again. Most cats do manage to get down on their own. Good luck.

Thank you Dragoness and Squiggs , have spoken to RSPCA and they have been helpful. He's still up there but hoping he might have a go at coming down for food.

Edited by lucyalys

My cat was stuck up a tree,not quite a 100 feet but not far off.The trouble was from where he was looking from he wouldn't have been able to see the ground because of the way the tree had grown.He did come down eventually but it was 38 hours.I no there's not much point in saying "don't worry"because you will,but I'm sure he will make his way down before long

100ft? what sort of tree is it?

We're just on our way back to Sheffield as our friends who have been looking after our cats have just found one of them stuck 100ft up a tree in the woods behind our house. I can only assume he's chased a squirrel or been spooked by a dog or fox. The RSPCA have suggeated leaving food at the base of the tree. Accrding to our friends the tree is very straight and tall with few branches on the way up. We're not quite sure what to do but if anyone knows any budding climbers who like saving cats please PM me. We'remin Millhouses, S7. Many thanks for any ideas or previous successful experiences.

You would be better off putting this in the pet section where people can give you genuine advice, before all the cat haters come on here thinking it's your fault for letting your cat go outside god forbid.

I really hope things get sorted for you very soon.

Thank you for some of your comments. He's still stuck up there and rspca are coming tomorrow. He's not strayed, he's in an oak tree 10m's into the woods. Will also add to pets page. I didn't realise there was one so thank you.

i'm a cat owner.......it'll come down when it's hungry. please dont scare it anymore than what forced it up the tree in the first place. and dont do anything silly like call the fire brigade. it WILL come down of its own accord.