Sheffield is getting an elected Mayor like Manchester

What on earth we need MORE politicians for is beyond me?

People vote Tory for less government not more.

Crazy stuff

It's a diversion tactic to move responsibility away from the cons for cuts. I vote no mayor.

I'm all for Sheffield having a lucky mascot. Something that represents Sheffield and/or its topographical location. I reckon we couldn't go far wrong with Bertie Bassett ... well known and adored by many, not just in Sheffield, nor Yorkshire, but the entire World! :thumbsup:

Failing that, but far better than any local politicians (who we all know are a bunch of freeloading, sociopathic good-for-nothings) ... a sheep!

Not only just for representing the beautiful countryside in which Sheffield is situated, but will also show the 'very important people in charge who live in London' that we know our rightful place as sheeple, willing to do anything that's asked of us at the drop of a hat. Cheap to maintain too ... remove the throne in the Town Hall and sprinkle straw on the floor. Job's a good 'un! :thumbsup:

What on earth we need MORE politicians for is beyond me?

People vote Tory for less government not more.

Crazy stuff

It's the Tories' idea. So people are voting Tory for less government and getting more.

It's the Tories' idea. So people are voting Tory for less government and getting more.

I know. It's a stupid idea.

This is simply the Conservative Party rolling back the State.

Once there are half a dozen mayors in place they'll be competing for business, by of course offering incentives particularly lower business rates.

Followed rapidly by a fight to the bottom.

And who benefits from that?

Business. No one else.

This is simply the Conservative Party rolling back the State.

Once there are half a dozen mayors in place they'll be competing for business, by of course offering incentives particularly lower business rates.

Followed rapidly by a fight to the bottom.

And who benefits from that?

Business. No one else.

Well if that were the case it would be good - successful businesses provide employment, pay taxes and are generally a force for good in an area.

Just another layer of bureaucracy to contend with and another buffer layer upon which blame can be laid rather than the govenment of the day.

Plus the blame for anything can be put on the new mayor and its henchpeople by both the people of sheffield or the state.

I don't imagine for a moment that we are going to be asked if we actually want a mayor it will be imposed upon us like the police commissioner was and remains to be and probably as much use too.

Maybe you should see a mayoral office in place before making judgements? The Liverpool one seems to be doing OK.

I don't imagine for a moment that we are going to be asked if we actually want a mayor it will be imposed upon us like the police commissioner was and remains to be and probably as much use too.

There was a referendum about Sheffield having an elected mayor back in 2012, and the proposal was rejected by 82,890 votes to 44,571.

This is one reason why I am becoming disillusioned by referendums. The losing side rarely accepts the result.