Rail strike on the cards

9200 out of 16,000 voted to strike. Yet they call it an "overwhelming majority". I call it slightly more than 50-50.

57.5% in favour of strike.

More than double the 25% who voted for Tory government and more than enough to satisfy current strike laws and also to satisfy the current proposed strike laws that make it much more difficult to strike.

Either way, well enough and most in favour of strike, even when we include those who didn't vote.

Regardless of the strike laws, people will strike and it is the action of strike, not the laws relating to it, that matters. If people want to strike they will, and by doing so they will win, if they are determined.

7680 people voted to strike, not 9200. 9200 is the total number of members who voted.

Thats 48% of total RMT members at Network Rail (if my maths is right)

Still enough to satisfy future strike law.

However 8464 people voted for other forms of industrial action that does not include a strike.

The electorate being fed up of workers fighting for better pay or conditions is a sign that the last few decades of government and media waging a divide and conquer campaign has worked.

I'm sure it has, particularly with folk who work in the private sector and who do not benefit from index linked final salary pensions and retirement at 55. I'm pretty sure many of them have little sympathy with folks who do but still expect the rest of us to dig deeper so that they can have a little more.

Bring on the driverless trains.

I'm sure it has, particularly with folk who work in the private sector and who do not benefit from index linked final salary pensions and retirement at 55. I'm pretty sure many of them have little sympathy with folks who do but still expect the rest of us to dig deeper so that they can have a little more.

Yes and to top it all the rail fares are extortionate. Some of these high fares has to go on train fares and when they dont get enough they cause us the poor passenger disruption.

Fairly sure the drivers also work in the private sector since BR got privatised (that word is the clue) however it's not actually the train drivers that are striking....

Yea if I were a train driver going on strike I'd probably be stuck between jetting off to a Greek or a Spanish island with my newly found free time.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

and again thank the unions for that :hihi:

---------- Post added 13-05-2015 at 16:49 ----------

why don't these folk who work in the private sector pay into a pension equivalent to the ones in the public sector :suspect:

why don't these folk who work in the private sector pay into a pension equivalent to the ones in the public sector :suspect:

because awesome gold-clad pension funds are not available anywhere else.

Simply put, no other employer would ever contemplate giving such a chusty pension scheme.

because awesome gold-clad pension funds are not available anywhere else.

Simply put, no other employer would ever contemplate giving such a chusty pension scheme.

so why blame the public sector workers ? blame the gov and blame the private sector for not looking after its workers

and again thank the unions for that :hihi:

---------- Post added 13-05-2015 at 16:49 ----------

Not all of them are great...I know mine won't be...