Southey Green School

nikita

Hi Vanner. Yes Len Powell did live on Southey Green Road. His house was about halfway between Southey school and Longley park I think. Don't know wher fred Hird lived.

Did you go to Southey Green?

Yes. I think it would have been in 1957 I started. I was in the annexe in the grounds for the first couple of years at least. I remember Miss Tarpy? And Mr Gower definately. He used to have a selection of canes. If any boy got out of hand in Miss Tarpy`s class, then she would bring in Mr Gower to chastise them and restore order etc. There was a rumour that they were want to esconce themselves from time to time in the stationary cupboard, which was located between the classrooms. I know that she became engaged to a chap from South America. And went there to marry/settle.I don`t remember many from the annexe. Only one name springs to mind, David Scott? And that`s only because Miss Tarpy called on Mr Gower`s services. Young David received a caning. Some names come to mind. But not from any particular class I was in. Tony Robinson? He managed to get hold of a copy of Lady Chatterleys Lover. Terry Benson. John Brown, at the time something of a thug. Apologies if that`s you:roll:. Alan Markhall? Knocked around with him for a while. He went to work at the Omega Psalter Lane. Thence to America I believe. Mick Taylor, terrific lad. Unfortunately he was killed at age 17? when a van drove onto the pavement and ran him down. So I heard. The name David Kane comes to mind. Sometimes when people mention a name I do recall the person. As in the case of Len Powell. Do you remember Mr Hedley`s favourite trick? Line up all the lads in the yard, ask for quiet, after a minute or so of silence inevitably there would be mutterings etc. Of course Mr Hedley would pounce on this and ask the miscreant to come out to the front. That`s going to happen. Upshot being that all the lads in the yard had to line up in the gym, and he went down the lines slippering everyone.

I forgot to mention that I went to Longley Infant and Juniors as it used to be called in those days. We lived on Crowder Crescent. Then moved to Southey Hall Rd. So when I was due to go into the Senior school mum decided to get me into Southey Green Secondary as it was much closer. I was supposed to go to Shirecliffe.

Sorry if I`m rambling. Tend to do that now and again these days!

The name rings a bell,I live in Rojales just up the road from you.

I went to Southey Green school but I think much earlier than you, 1935 -39'

Incidently I used to live in Benalmadena, Costa Del Sol where abouts is your place. I wish I was back in Spain instead of Florida.

I went to Southey Green school but I think much earlier than you, 1935 -39'

Incidently I used to live in Benalmadena, Costa Del Sol where abouts is your place. I wish I was back in Spain instead of Florida.

50k south of Alicante,Florida ok,mind you sat on front this am with dog,shorts and a t shirt on.

50k south of Alicante,Florida ok,mind you sat on front this am with dog,shorts and a t shirt on.

Yes I know where you are, I lived on a boat in the Med. for 11 years and wintered in a marina in Mar Menor and used to drive from there to Granada via Murcia then down to Benelmadena. Is it still cheap living there ?

Yes I know where you are, I lived on a boat in the Med. for 11 years and wintered in a marina in Mar Menor and used to drive from there to Granada via Murcia then down to Benelmadena. Is it still cheap living there ?

Not as cheap as it was but manageable.Going down to Granada onWednesday.

• 4 weeks later...
Do you mean "Jacksons Playground" across the road from St. Leonards Church?

-----------------------------------

I didn't know that playground had a name. The swings were fun.

Earlier on probably on a piece of land next to it were one (or two)

prefab buildings & the British Legion used to hold dances there.

Does anyone else remember that ?

Sue

=================================

I remember Hedley very well. In my class there was a lad called Wilde. When we were in P.E, if we were making a noise, Hedley would shout out loud, WILDE, Wilde would reply yes sir, back would come, "so am I, line up down the middle. Out would come the slipper. No matter where you were in the line it stung. John Brown was in my class big bully. Terry Benson another bully was in the annexe. I started Southey in 57 left Easter 61. In my last year I was the milk monitor. Used to count all the milk. Then put the bottles in the milk trays, ready for the classrooms.

---------- Post added 11-11-2013 at 20:53 ----------

Hey Vanner. Just been reading through some of the posts in here. You say you were upstairs in your last year at Southey. I was also upstairs in 1961, 4B Miss/Mrs Rowleys class. Maybe we were in the same class.

Not as cheap as it was but manageable.Going down to Granada onWednesday.

Shall we start a thread about Spain. I feel more home sick for Spain than I do for the U.K.

---------- Post added 12-11-2013 at 16:39 ----------

When I went to Southey Green school it consisted of a group of classrooms round a small garden. One of the staff grew veggies and stuff and when the wether permitted we went and picked spuds and stuff.When King George died in 1936 we all got a pen knife or was it for the coronation.

• 11 months later...

I know this is an old thread, and it may be that nobody is interested in it any more.

I attended Southey Green (I think it was called Southey Green High School at the time). I went there when the secondary school at Meynell Road closed. It must have been about 61 or 62. I left in 1967. I remember Mr Lupton the head. Does anyone remember Stephen Hawk (Hawkeye), Dion Fothergill (I think he went to Australia), or was that Stephen Powell; its a long time ago. Does anyone also remember Ian Benson or Tony Dunwell.

Hi JEB1 Dion Fothergill you mentioned was my brother (My name is Edward Fothergill)

Unfortunately Dion passed away in Canada in 2000. We used to live in Deerlands Ave.

Dion moved to Blackpool with mum around 1970 he met and married a girl from Blackpool. They moved to Canada around 74/75. I left southey Green in 1961. My teacher was Mrs Rowley