Southey Green School

anybody go to southey green school 1960 to 1970 any memories from then?

hi nikita, i went to southey school late 60`s do you remember Mrs Car, she was a real dragon! i think the headmaster was Mr Kay, the man who taught us french married the domestic science teacher do you remember thier names?

Hello jonboy good to hear from someone no i remember him but i cannot remember who he married i know she used to teach domestic science we used to lead her a right merry chase .I remember mr cooper who taught maths and miss waite

Left in 1969, never seen anyone who I was at school with since, they must all be doing time.

I remember the french teachers name as Nortcliffe used to have the only classroom upstairs. The headteachers name I thought was Lupton, very tall guy or am I mistaking him with the junior school. Wally webster was our form teacher, also taught maths, great guy liked him a lot, was fond of uing the cane, his catchphrase which he was fond of using was "BY JINGO"[/b].

A few other teachers names I remember are Mrs. Gregory (geography?), Bishop(english?),Hukin who I believe only retired a couple of years ago as a head of another Sheffield school.

Do you remember the annual compulsary cross country run around the perimeter of Longley Park, there was no escape for anyone, even with a note from your mum.

Now they seem great days, so long ago, its a shame about the area around the school.

Great memories.

Originally posted by pietro

Left in 1969, never seen anyone who I was at school with since, they must all be doing time.

I remember the french teachers name as Nortcliffe used to have the only classroom upstairs. The headteachers name I thought was Lupton, very tall guy or am I mistaking him with the junior school. Wally webster was our form teacher, also taught maths, great guy liked him a lot, was fond of uing the cane, his catchphrase which he was fond of using was "BY JINGO".

A few other teachers names I remember are Mrs. Gregory (geography?), Bishop(english?),Hukin who I believe only retired a couple of years ago as a head of another Sheffield school.

Do you remember the annual compulsary cross country run around the perimeter of Longley Park, there was no escape for anyone, even with a note from your mum.

Now they seem great days, so long ago, its a shame about the area around the school.

Great memories. [/b]

Well Pietro, I left Southey Green in September 1968, to do my time in Australia, as far as I rememember your right, Mr Lupton was the headmaster, I remember Mr Webster very well, he was deputy head, I had Mr Headley for maths, Yuk!! I remember the day trip to Liverpool and Manchester, AHHH...the good old days

Hi Pietro, Yes you are correct the headmaster was Mr Lupton, see how long ago it was my mind is going!! Kathy remembers Mr Northcliffe as french teacher, I think there have been reunions organised for ex pupils but i never went to any, apart from a few close friends (who i am still in touch with) i think the best memory for me was the day i left. still i do remember some good times. remember Mrs Carr lining you up in the corridor in the mornings for uniform inspection? imagine that now. i still live not too far away, the school looks really rundown now.

hi everyone

my name is david wilde my family migrated to australia in 1970 i went to your school but don't remember much i lived in buchanan road and often played in longley park if you might remember my family at all email me at dswilde@hwy.com.au

thanks

dave

There's a name that strikes fear in my heart. Am I correct in thinking he was the P.E teacher, blue tracksuit, close cropped hair and a size 12 gym shoe in his hand.

Tell me I'm wrong, i've tried to forget him after all these years and the pain he inflicted.

Kathy,I was on the Liverpool trip, around 1966,Chester zoo, the cathedral, ferry across the mersey. I remember all we were bothered about was seeing the cavern club or the Beatles, never did though. Might of got some pictures somewhere, have to have a look.

Hi Pietro

I think we must have been on the same trip to Liverpool, sounds like it. if you find any pics I would love to see them, email me at kahall2@bigpond.com I remember it as if it was only yesterday, what a wonderful time we all had, even though we didn't get to see the Caven...Love Kathy

Originally posted by nikita

anybody go to southey green school 1960 to 1970 any memories from then?

Yep i went to southey green school i left in 1975 then went to chaucer.Headmaster was lupton can you remember the headmistress from the infants Miss Hill what an old battleaxe she were. Other teachers i can remember are Mr Senior, Mr Gillard, Mr Drake, Miss Grapes, Miss Hayes, ooh nearly forgot Mr Roebuck and the best teacher Mr Chambers, 30 years ago how time flies.

Whilst searching for some old photo's, I came across a book entitled

"A Home Of Our Own"

Longley and Southey Estates 60 yeas of Community Life.

This was published in 1988 by the Longley and Southey local history group and is a brief history of the area from the 1920's onwards.

Below are the last few paragraphs relating to Southey Green School which incidently opened in August 1931.

"Mr. Raymond Kay retired in 1964 after forty years service as a Sheffield teacher. Twenty of those years were spent as headmaster at Southey Green.

M. Lupton became the new headmaster and took over the responsibility of four hundred and seventy four pupils. By that date the school had become a High school and Mr.Webster, the deputy- head, organised a Youth Action Group for boys and girls in the fourth year, they performed an admirable servive for local penshioners by shopping, painting and gardening for them.

Plans were finally laid in 1966 to supply much needed dining room facilities, changing rooms and showers, which were finally completed in1968. Before then meals had to be taken in classrooms with plastic clothes laid across the desks.

As part of the curriculum, visits were made to outside establishments including Treeton colliery, British Steel Corporation, British Rail and police and fire stations.

By September 1969 children were given the opportunity of transferring to comprehensive school. In April 1970 only one hundred and forty six pupils remained on the school roll. In july the secondary Modern school closed and the staff were re-deployed.

The Middle school which had been formed in 1969 took over the existing Secondary school accommodation.

No doubt children still benefit from the sound beginnings and traditions of this fine school."

I whole heartedly agree with the last sentence.

I went on many of the visits above, well it was an afternoon off school after all.